Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #1
built2shred
Phoenix

Oscars 2019

After watching the first hour all I can say is without a host the show is pretty boring (didn't think it could get any more boring but it did)... It's just basically people going up to the stage and patting themselves on the back about how great they are....

I stuck in there for about 30 mins then started to fall asleep... my GF had to keep waking me up... I was curious to see how it would go without a host and quickly found out... zzzzzzzzzz
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:45 PM   #2
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Hang on, Capt SJW Brie Larson is coming on! (Shoot me now)
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:22 AM   #3
Thundercats-NO
Shadowhawk

Bohemian Rhapsody should’ve won best picture
Thundercats-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:43 AM   #4
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

I thought it was much better without a host. No unfunny and weird jokes, a lot less comments about US politics etc. I actually liked this year's format.

Roma would be my pick for best picture. Bohemian shouldn't even be nominated for most categories in my opinion.
Jesse Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:59 AM   #5
Thundercats-NO
Shadowhawk

Those are my thoughts on A Star is Born

I’m surprised Lady Gaga was even nominated for best actor same goes for Bradley

Bad acting
Old 02-25-2019, 03:45 AM   #6
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
I thought it was much better without a host. No unfunny and weird jokes, a lot less comments about US politics etc. I actually liked this year's format.

Roma would be my pick for best picture. Bohemian shouldn't even be nominated for most categories in my opinion.
Roma was the best movie I saw from 2018.

I completely agree about Bohemian Rhapsody. Easily the worst best picture Oscar nomination in several years. I'm surprised it got so much award recognition considering the mediocre reviews from critics who usually run these things.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:01 AM   #7
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Roma was the best movie I saw from 2018.

I completely agree about Bohemian Rhapsody. Easily the worst best picture Oscar nomination in several years. I'm surprised it got so much award recognition considering the mediocre reviews from critics who usually run these things.
AMPAS members are filmmakers, not critics. Ironically, sometimes, people who make movies / TV shows for a living like garbage.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:41 AM   #8
Thundercats-NO
Shadowhawk

Infinity War should’ve easily won for Best Special Effects

The rest of the categories I successfully guessed correctly even though I haven’t seen half of them

Hollywood seems to love racism in the 1960s and 18th century bio pics for whatever reason

Predictable and political

Bohemian Rhapsody had the highest IMDb rating next to Green Book

I don’t care who directed it or why he was fired, I really enjoyed Queen’s story
Old 02-25-2019, 08:34 AM   #9
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I was not a huge fan of Roma, but that was because of pacing. It is a HUGE win for Netflix. And as soon as Roma won for Best Foreign Language film - you knew the Best Picture was dead. Seemed like a move by the academy to award two great movies with a top honor.

I have always loved Queen, so I might be biased - but I don't understand how people don't like Bohemian Rhapsody. The Live Aid show is just amazing. Great movie, but probably not best picture worthy. Same with Black Panther. Loved the movie, but if you're going to do super heroes - there is no damn reason that Winter Soldier or Infinity War couldn't have been up there years ago.

For A Star is Born, I adore Gaga and Cooper. I thought he was far better than she was. I also do NOT believe that Shallow is all that great of a song. It is certainly not the best song on that entire soundtrack. I believe that all the awards shows gave it to them over All The Stars because Cooper had to "learn to sing". I do believe the movie was worth the Best Picture nomination.

Can't comment on Green Book because I still haven't seen it.

Ohhhh and I lost power at 9:00pm so I missed allllll of the parts I wanted to see. So pissed. I REALLY wanted to watch Mother Monster.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #10
built2shred
Phoenix

Award shows have always been very political (as far as picking who wins)….

I really enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody but overall the way the story was told, I'm just not sure it was worthy of a best picture nomination... I felt the same way about Black Panther, it was a good a movie but the story IMO was not Best Picture quality... As with most Super Hero movies, the character depth usually plays a back seat to all the action and special effects...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote