Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 04-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #41
pendragon
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
What exactly is the attraction to the Hulk? Is it his conversational skills? His smooth demenor with women? His fashion sense? His inventiveness and creativity? Maybe it's his sparkling sense of humor? Perhaps it's his overwhelming empathy for others?

What exactly are the Hulk's redeeming characteristics that keep people on board?

From wiki

Quote:
The Hulk is often viewed as a reaction to war. As well as being a reaction to the Cold War, the character has been a cipher for the frustrations the Vietnam War raised, and Ang Lee said that the Iraq War influenced his direction.[16][36][37] In the Michael Nyman edited edition of The Guardian, Stefanie Diekmann explored Marvel Comics' reaction to the September 11, 2001 attacks. Diekmann discussed The Hulk's appearance in the comic book Heroes, claiming that his greater prominence, alongside Captain America, aided in "stressing the connection between anger and justified violence without having to depict anything more than a well-known and well-respected protagonist."[38] Asked by Naomi Klein if a new Cold War was imminent, Venezuelan president Hugo Chávez cryptically replied: "The geopolitics of the world will be like the Incredible Hulk comics, where he tenses himself before the transformation."[39]

In Comic Book Nation, Wright alludes to Hulk's counterculture status, referring to a 1965 Esquire magazine poll amongst college students which "revealed that student radicals ranked Spider-Man and the Hulk alongside the likes of Bob Dylan and Che Guevara as their favorite revolutionary icons." Wright goes on to cite examples of his anti-authority symbol status. Two of the most notable are "The Ballad of the Hulk" by Jerry Jeff Walker, and the Rolling Stones cover for 30 September 1971, a full color Herb Trimpe piece commissioned for the magazine
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #42
rychehitman
Galactus

rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #43
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Hahah..

I gotta admit, Hulk attacking Thor with an Adamantium statue of himself is pretty hilarious.

"HULKS SMASH!!" (yes, plural)
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #44
ratchet
Mandarin

Rych is picking out solitary moments. If I were to show Spiderman trying to save Gwen Stacey and snapping her neck - without showing the whole story of what happened and what's to come - then I could paint a pretty bad picture of Spiderman as well...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:15 AM   #45
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer! View Post
Funny, I've seen plenty. Maybe you've been looking in the wrong places.

In fact I see it all the time where a heroes first reaction is to protect the innocent, and get them to safety, or move the fight away from where civillians could get hurt.
But that's what the Hulk did in WWH - said "All of the innocent - move out of the area"

Maybe you want to bow out of this discussion because you know your arguments aren't valid here.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #46
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Like I've stated - most people are just thinking about one version of the Hulk.

Is he a great conversationalist? Smart Hulk was.

I liked Fixit's attitude. Found it hilarious. There's a sense of Humor - and he was certainly creative and inventive in the way he fought his battles. He was a smart ass - like Spiderman.

The savage Hulk just smashed - but that was a while ago. Hulk hasn't been a mindless brute for a while.

I also enjoyed McFarlane's Gray Hulk and the delightfully refreshing Mr. Fixit experiment, however, these were basically one year storylines and not really representative of the 40 plus years of Hulk lore. In fact, those storylines were shorter in duration than the clone Spidey saga.

While I was a fan of David's work too, I quickly grew to have an issue with this multiple personality, multiple skin color, and multiple power level concept. At one point, you just didn't know who the Hulk was going to be in the next issue as it was all dependent upon David's mood.

By the time the Pantheon storyline began, I had all but lost interest.
As a point of note, David's grey Hulk was my favorite Hulk.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote