Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Could Superman Find His Way Back?

With scientists in charge of the Hubble Telescope now estimating that there could be as many as hundreds of billions of galaxies in the universe, it got me thinking about Superman & his galactic travels over the years. He doesn't appear to really age and he does seem to know his way around deep space (he's flown to the Kryptonian solar system, and has had countless other adventures in deep space over his 70+ years).

If Superman was completely incapacitated with say a chunk of Kryptonite, & knocked out ... then if he were to be transported a hundred million galaxies away where he's never even come close to before, by an arch-enemy capable of doing this, would Superman be able to find his way back to earth?

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

The version of Superman you seem to describe is at his pre-crisis power levels. Given that, I think his telescopic vision, super-memory, ability to break the time barrier, and intergalactic flight speed would be enough for him to find and fly his way back.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Would this be on the assumption that he is in other galaxies with yellow suns and would keep his powers?

If that's a silly statement, my bad. I only care to know random simple things about Supes.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
protector2814
Phoenix

With not even a star recognizable, how would he know if he was flying in even the right direction? Earth wouldn't even be remotely known about from any civilization encountered. He'd have his powers, & Tet's correct, pre-crises Supes. Its even in the cards that he'd meet other super-powered beings.... Millions & millions, & millions of civilizations worm-holes, & situations between him & earth.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Makkari1
Cyclops

Anything is possible for a comic book character to do, however in the real world no one should be able to get back even traveling at hundreds or thousands times the speed of light it would take you hundreds of years to get back and by then everyone you know is long dead. Since space is so vast being that far out from earth without navigation or star charts will almost guarantee that you'll never see home before everyone that you have ever known is long dead and gone.

DC comics did this once with the original Black Adam where the Shazam Wizard pushed Adam so far out that it took him 5,000 years to get back flying at top speed for that long. Everyone, everything he knew was dead and long gone.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #6
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Mak's right; wouldn't matter. If he was far enough away, he'd get back.. but it'd be several generations after every human he now knows is deceased.

Space is infinite. (... I believe, anyways.. yeah, you can measure how far it is to the moon, etc... but.. who's to say where the "edge" is? It's always expanding/condensing).
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #7
ratchet
Mandarin

As far as I knew he left a trail of bread crumbs behind him so he can get back
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #8
riteguytu
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

I like how we appear to be applying real world physics to a guy who can fly(!!??)

riteguytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 AM   #9
Peter-Vell
a marvelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
The version of Superman you seem to describe is at his pre-crisis power levels. Given that, I think his telescopic vision, super-memory, ability to break the time barrier, and intergalactic flight speed would be enough for him to find and fly his way back.
Uhmm, have you guys seen this?...

....Isn't this a little like Pre-crisis? I don't know much about Superman, so I might be wrong...
Peter-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

He'd punch a hole through the Hulk after that workout.
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote