Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #471
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
Agreed. Ridiculous comparison. I see it too often since all this PVC controversy has blown up, but there's already a thread for that.

I'm a Blitzway fan, so I don't see the issue with non-resin/polystone material used to retain details, especially on portraits. Problem is, solely based on recent photos and SS's unboxing vid, just like with translucent resin, a company needs to still treat the paint app on the skin seriously. Otherwise it just looks translucent whereas real skin merely has translucent qualities. You can still see lifelike veins and blush effects infused in Prime 1 statues and I wasn't aware Sideshow was even capable of retaining sculpted pours until receiving the Joker PF recently. Recent PFs (except the new Green Lantern, which also had a new production approach to the head sculpt) have been very smooth textured, which takes away from the realism. That's why I attribute the cheap look more to effort and execution than material.
Agreed.

I would've taken a similar attitude a couple of years ago, but having sampled a few Hot Toys and seeing how good the paint details are on their portraits at a smaller scale, effort and execution are way more important than anything else.

If a Hot Toys portrait can have pours and freckles and proper skin shading, it makes me wonder why we don't get similar work with 1/4 scale statues.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:25 PM   #472
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Agreed.

I would've taken a similar attitude a couple of years ago, but having sampled a few Hot Toys and seeing how good the paint details are on their portraits at a smaller scale, effort and execution are way more important than anything else.

If a Hot Toys portrait can have pours and freckles and proper skin shading, it makes me wonder why we don't get similar work with 1/4 scale statues.
I think it's pretty simple, SS was cutting corners to keep the costs down to improve profits, IMO.... There's not that much skin shown on Rey so why couldn't they pay the factory to add just a little bit of detail to the skin? At the very least match the skin tones on all the skin parts, it's ridiculous that the color of her skin on her upper arms and lower legs don't match the skin on her face and hands.

This is why SS statues for the most part will always be seen as mediocrity at best. Sure SS is a big company but they just don't produce high quality products.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:59 AM   #473
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post

This is why SS statues for the most part will always be seen as mediocrity at best. Sure SS is a big company but they just don't produce high quality products.
They're not mediocre, they're inconsistent. Their products run the gamut.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:05 AM   #474
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Agreed. Three of my most standout pieces I got from Sideshow this year (Cleopsis especially. That may have converted me to COTD), and that's not including the older classics I've purchased. Then again, I waited for in-hand photos and reactions on all of them because I find PO'ing with SS specifically to be such a gamble, despite the full refund policy.

Welcome or unwelcome surprises, such as the PVC here and the engineering of Black Canary's fishnets I can't definitively label one way or another as corner cutting because, as various companies have said, PVC can cost more in the molding and casting stage even if it saves more from shipping breakages, artistic advantages or disadvantages aside. And, for my money, I think cutting the fishnet seam into the leg sculpt surprisingly does retain the shape better than the bunched up excess material does on other pieces I own with mixed media fishnets, despite how jarring it is upon first noticing it.

It's just that, maybe because SS is new at these methods or they aren't investing enough in their execution, but they're obviously not up to the standards of other companies who've been perfecting those specific methods for a much longer time as SS just now catches on.

I always find it hilarious when action figure reviewers praise retail figures for "having a lot of paint" as if the amount is what dictates the quality, but these translucent material portraits, hands, etc. really just need more paint, especially to match the standard polystone bodies they're attached to. And it seems (no pun intended) that the cuts down the legs for the fishnets at least on the prototypes for the Suicide Squad Harley and Zatanna PFs are a little narrower than the production Black Canary, which also might be all that's needed to better sell the effect. Still waiting for in-hand pics to decide, but the unboxing dread is used to get has lessened this year compared to recent ones.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #475
Y3E
Gen 13

I don't have many 1/4 statues with the translucent resin heads other than SS GL, Punisher, Newmar Catwoman, and P1 AK Harley and I can say that all of them need work. If it is that difficult to apply paint to translucent resin, go back to polystone.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #476
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
I don't have many 1/4 statues with the translucent resin heads other than SS GL, Punisher, Newmar Catwoman, and P1 AK Harley and I can say that all of them need work. If it is that difficult to apply paint to translucent resin, go back to polystone.
I'm biased because I own it--although it took a lot of convincing for me to finally pull the trigger--but I think Arkham Harley has three of the best portraits I've seen in-hand, precisely because they retain the porous texture and the smokey effect of her eye shadow really contrasts well with the glossy eyes and lips (another thing recent Sideshow pieces I've seen either entirely lack or overdo. I'm pretty sure P1 uses decals too, so that can't be the excuse.)

I can also tell that the sculptors understand facial structure well enough to accurately capture the minor wrinkling differences around the mouth and forehead between the expressions. Sideshow tends to only highlight those aspects in the sculpt when it's a distinct actor likeness like Michael Keaton or an extreme expression like the aforementioned Joker PF.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #477
Y3E
Gen 13

I just opened my Rey statue and I will admit the portrait looks real good despite the pvc material. There is shading on the face that you cannot see in pictures.

My only gripe is the almost non existant magnet in the right arm, which I am certain will fall off at the slightest vibration. Actually, the left arm is not much better. A bit stronger
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #478
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
I believe it all depends on the piece. I see some pieces such as the latest Spidey and Venom PF and feel blown away and then there are others where I'm surprised at how meh they are. I'm guessing this is what you mean by inconsistent.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #479
mattman68
Blue Falcon

I think she turned out pretty great overall. I have zero problem with them using PVC for the head and hands. I've seen what other companies such as Blitzway or Enterbay can achieve in terms of detail and realism with PVC, and while Sideshow still has a ways to go in reaching that level, I think they are getting better. My main criticisms are with the hairline not being as seamless and realistic as I'd like and she could use some more texture work in the face, but I do think it shows up softer in photos than it looks in person. The overall paint job, likeness, pose, and clothing work are all great IMO and I like the detail on the base and the exclusive helmet. Definitely happy with the purchase.

mattman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #480
mattman68
Blue Falcon

mattman68 is offline   Reply With Quote