Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 07-30-2014, 01:23 AM   #4761
J Rodimus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdealx View Post
Seriously!!!

How difficult is it to get Alvin Lee to do sketches these days of SF characters? What's his fee? Contact details?

I need me some of that!!
In my personal experience it may or may not be difficult to get an Alvin Lee art commission. It all depends on what you're looking for and wether you're willing wait for it. If you're looking to get a bust sketch it is not that difficult as long as you're willing to wait for him to be available. You go to his table and if he's available on the spot you ask for your request and watch him sketch it. If he's busy he'll ask you to come back at a given time for him to do it and you wait then while he sketches it for you.

If you want a full body commission you need to be amongst the 1st-5 people in line when he arrives the 1st day at said show. Anything after 5 you may not get your piece. The last 2 years at SDCC it has been my goal of the show to get a full body Alvin Lee commission. At the 2013 SDCC I was not able to attend on preview night, but my buddy did. He was the 4th person in line and was able to secure my spot with Alvin for a full body commission on preview night after waiting for him for 1hr(6pm-7pm). When I went on Thursday morning I talked to Alvin about what I wanted and to my luck he finished the piece for me on Sunday. I ordered a full body Guile doing a Sonic Boom and it did not disappoint. At that 2013 SDCC I believe that Alvin did 5 full body's out of maybe 11 ordered.

This year I helped out Alpha Flight with getting a full body commission. It's not something that I could or would do for anyone/everyone, but I had previously read his posts about Alvin's work and his passion for getting a full body. I thought that we shared the same interest and I had access to Alvin at SDCC so I gave it my best and was able to produce a full body Alvin Lee Commission. It was definitely easier said than done though. I stood in line with the other SDCC attendees and my pregnant wife on preview night for 2.5hrs just to be able to rush into the exhibit hall when it opened at 6pm. When I finally was able to enter the exhibit hall I ran to Alvin's table. I get there and no one is there including Alvin. I'm thinking, " this is too good to be true. I'm the 1st in line, I'm definitely going to get the full body commission. All I have to do is wait for Alvin to show." Well, I waited and waited and 2hrs later Alvin showed. Alvin asks what we're waiting for specifically, as in are we waiting for full body commissions or just a bust? I say I'm waiting for a full body commission. Alvin says that he was planning on not doing any full body commissions at this years SDCC. I kindly explain to Alvin that I've been waiting for 2hrs. He reconsiders and says that he's willing to do it for me and another person only because we waited so long for him. After that day I checked in with him periodically and got an Akuma bust for myself. On Sunday Alvin made time and was able to draw Alpha's requested commission.

In total for the show I believe that Alvin only did 3 full body commissions. I personally only saw 2 with mine/Alpha's included. Alvin said that in the future he may stop doing full body's as it eats up too much of his time and energy.

So, as you can tell from my experience depending on what you want it may or not be easy. IMO his work is definitely worth the time, money and energy. I don't think it would be in good taste for me to post his prices for everyone to see, but anyone who wants to know/is interested can PM me.

Here's a pic of my Alvin Lee commissions along with a pic of Alpha's:
J Rodimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #4762
Alpha_Flight
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

As I have never been fortunate enough to attend a convention where Alvin was, my luck has been anything but good (Until last Sunday ). Being an artist myself, I fell in love with Alvin's work the moment I picked up the very first issue of UDON's Street Fighter comic. The last time (And only time for that matter) that Alvin has ever come to Calgary was in 2008 during his début with UDON. Unfortunately I was in Mexico on holidays and missed him.

I have attended the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo every year since 2009 in hopes of him returning, but he never has. I then turned to other avenues, hoping to reach out to him. I tried sending e-mails, PM's on Deviant Art, Notes / Comments on Deviant Art, but there was no response. I thought all hope was lost in ever getting my dream piece by my favorite artist.

At the 2012 Calgary Expo, I met Jim Zubkavich from UDON Entertainment and threw out a wild request asking if he could help me out. He gave me his personal e-mail address and told me to send him a reminder e-mail prior to the shows he and Alvin would be attending together. I did just that. I believe the first convention was Fan Expo in Toronto. Jim inquired for me but Alvin did not accept my request. The second time I got in touch with Jim was at SDCC 2012. Jim e-mailed me back and said that Alvin took my request and told me that Alvin had hopes of finishing before end of day Sunday. Sunday came, and so did the bad news. Alvin did not finish, but Jim had CC'd Alvin on his personal e-mail address and put us in touch. I had thought that it was finally going to happen.

I expressed my joy and thankfulness to Alvin and told him how long I had been trying to get in touch with him. Alvin soon responded, stating that he does not do commissions outside of conventions as it interferes with his professional work and that paying customers who wait in line take precedence. Of course, this is only fair, but I was absolutely crushed.

I finally accepted that I would most likely never get the chance at owning a piece from Alvin Lee.... Until a kind Samaritan reached out to me on this very forum. Saying that JRod “Helped” me is a massive understatement. From the very beginning his correspondence, input, patience and genuine good will were second to none. Thank you for what you did for me J! And thank your wife too! She is a trooper for taking on SDCC whilst pregnant. My wife did one day at the Calgary Expo with me when she was pregnant, and man was she tired at the end of it! So again, thank you and your wife for making a dream of mine come true! I owe you huge brother
Alpha_Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #4763
J Rodimus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Flight View Post

I finally accepted that I would most likely never get the chance at owning a piece from Alvin Lee.... Until a kind Samaritan reached out to me on this very forum. Saying that JRod “Helped” me is a massive understatement. From the very beginning his correspondence, input, patience and genuine good will were second to none. Thank you for what you did for me J! And thank your wife too! She is a trooper for taking on SDCC whilst pregnant. My wife did one day at the Calgary Expo with me when she was pregnant, and man was she tired at the end of it! So again, thank you and your wife for making a dream of mine come true! I owe you huge brother
Thank you for the very kind words brother. It was sincerely my pleasure. I can see that you will appreciate the piece as much as I thought you would. Check your PM in a few
J Rodimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #4764
SuperJ300
Zot

Anybody using Billy cabinets to display their Street Fighter????

Picture by MadXcollector

Just wondering, the Billy cabinet takes less room.
SuperJ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #4765
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Assume Seth is a custom, looks cool.
If so, by who?

Seth always looked like an altered version of Urien, especially with his focus should charge, maybe said person will do a Urien.
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #4766
SuperJ300
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaGrin View Post
If so, by who?
MadXcollector has them, check out his Facebook page.

Four street fighter statues on one shelf is good, I'm considering on getting it instead of Besta.
SuperJ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #4767
Ballsagne
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

The only issue I could see is the depth only being 11 inches. Should be okay for street fighter PFs (which i guess is what matters in this thread) but if your collection has stuff with bigger bases etc you might need that 5-6 inches of depth you get from a besta
Ballsagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:56 AM   #4768
Juicemagic
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

salt and pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaGrin View Post
If so, by who?

Seth always looked like an altered version of Urien, especially with his focus should charge, maybe said person will do a Urien.
Salt and Pepper has already done a Urien. I am on the fence about whether to get it to go with my Gill. I dont think I am allowed to post pics here of it, but its pretty cool.
Juicemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #4769
darkdealx
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Thumbs up

Sorry for the late response.

Due to unpredictable blips in my professional career

I've ever been trying to put some capital aside to visit a Comic Con or other event during the calender year. So all capital raised gets refocused and redirected to bills, bills, bills.

I was thinking, if anybody is able to visit an exhibition in the near future and score me an 'Oni Akuma' sketch by one of these reputable artistes sketch.

I'll happily pay for the petrol, food costs for that day.

Is that a reasonable deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rodimus View Post
In my personal experience it may or may not be difficult to get an Alvin Lee art commission. It all depends on what you're looking for and wether you're willing wait for it. If you're looking to get a bust sketch it is not that difficult as long as you're willing to wait for him to be available. You go to his table and if he's available on the spot you ask for your request and watch him sketch it. If he's busy he'll ask you to come back at a given time for him to do it and you wait then while he sketches it for you.

If you want a full body commission you need to be amongst the 1st-5 people in line when he arrives the 1st day at said show. Anything after 5 you may not get your piece. The last 2 years at SDCC it has been my goal of the show to get a full body Alvin Lee commission. At the 2013 SDCC I was not able to attend on preview night, but my buddy did. He was the 4th person in line and was able to secure my spot with Alvin for a full body commission on preview night after waiting for him for 1hr(6pm-7pm). When I went on Thursday morning I talked to Alvin about what I wanted and to my luck he finished the piece for me on Sunday. I ordered a full body Guile doing a Sonic Boom and it did not disappoint. At that 2013 SDCC I believe that Alvin did 5 full body's out of maybe 11 ordered.

This year I helped out Alpha Flight with getting a full body commission. It's not something that I could or would do for anyone/everyone, but I had previously read his posts about Alvin's work and his passion for getting a full body. I thought that we shared the same interest and I had access to Alvin at SDCC so I gave it my best and was able to produce a full body Alvin Lee Commission. It was definitely easier said than done though. I stood in line with the other SDCC attendees and my pregnant wife on preview night for 2.5hrs just to be able to rush into the exhibit hall when it opened at 6pm. When I finally was able to enter the exhibit hall I ran to Alvin's table. I get there and no one is there including Alvin. I'm thinking, " this is too good to be true. I'm the 1st in line, I'm definitely going to get the full body commission. All I have to do is wait for Alvin to show." Well, I waited and waited and 2hrs later Alvin showed. Alvin asks what we're waiting for specifically, as in are we waiting for full body commissions or just a bust? I say I'm waiting for a full body commission. Alvin says that he was planning on not doing any full body commissions at this years SDCC. I kindly explain to Alvin that I've been waiting for 2hrs. He reconsiders and says that he's willing to do it for me and another person only because we waited so long for him. After that day I checked in with him periodically and got an Akuma bust for myself. On Sunday Alvin made time and was able to draw Alpha's requested commission.

In total for the show I believe that Alvin only did 3 full body commissions. I personally only saw 2 with mine/Alpha's included. Alvin said that in the future he may stop doing full body's as it eats up too much of his time and energy.

So, as you can tell from my experience depending on what you want it may or not be easy. IMO his work is definitely worth the time, money and energy. I don't think it would be in good taste for me to post his prices for everyone to see, but anyone who wants to know/is interested can PM me.

Here's a pic of my Alvin Lee commissions along with a pic of Alpha's:
darkdealx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:01 AM   #4770
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

Thought about Seth too, but base is not fitting and I think he's made from resin, I only like full polystone.

Some pics of my Street Fighters:

equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote