Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 07-01-2022, 12:44 PM   #1211
Python
Omega Red

They said two days ago that the bust wouldn't change, and yet here we are. They don't have a clue! I'm not even mad, the bust needed altering as it wasn't fit for purpose. But are they going to offer one to those of us who have the originals that were badly designed and clearly not even tested?
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:02 PM   #1212
Liquid75
Shadowhawk

I'm not a hater or anything but P1's handling of this situation is beginning to irritate me.

With them removing the wall and improving the bust, I feel like I was part of the debug team since I purchased the OG...

Honestly, once the Jungle Predator arrives, I won't be in a hurry to order anything from them.
Liquid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:33 PM   #1213
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Some very great discussions over the past few pages. Very cool to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
Thinking about the situation more. It's true that some collectors would rather wait for a sale if there's no sense of urgency.
This is pretty much my collecting mentality. ES doesn't mean anything to me except to gauge how soon I need to jump on a piece. Most of the time I will wait for a sale. A super low ES puts an urgency on my decision making.

Quote:
Anyone who feels that way, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is: you've got a statue in front of you, you think it's overpriced, there are some elements you're not crazy about, but the clincher -- the factor that makes those other issues digestible -- is the fact that it has a low ES. In other words, you wouldn't buy the piece on its own merit, but because fewer people can own this overpriced piece you're not fully committed to, that makes it feel better to commit? Because at least it's hard to find?

Call me new-agey, but I just don't understand that approach. That's something I got out of my system fairly early in my collecting journey because I realized how much money I was wasting with it. My views these days are admittedly more cynical and somewhat detached (in the sense that I can separate what a piece means to me from the company that made it), but I've got a better relationship with my collection and my wallet to show for it.
I agree on not understanding that approach... maybe I'm just cynical and new-agey, too? I just figured that I'm a practical realist. It can be fun watching people getting caught up in hype and enjoying themselves, but I personally push past marketing and buzz to get to the core of the matter. Do I love this character? Do I love this rendition? Can I display these dimensions? Do I feel the price is worth it?

If a piece ticks all of those boxes, I'm getting it. I don't care if the ES is a million or open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
If the artificial scarcity of these statues makes them more desirable what about the fragility?

We all know this game ain't worth the money. How far each of us is willing to fool ourselves is a personal decision.
True. I often say that these are beautiful but fragile decorative dust collectors. I struggled with this when I first got into the hobby, but I eventually found an equilibrium that balances that reality to my collecting desires.

Quote:
That's another problem. Many collectors have this idea that weight = quality. It doesn't. Polystone is cheaper, more brittle, and doesn't take as much detail as purer resins. Even PVC can be more reliable from both a durability and an aesthetic standpoint.

But the idea of producing a light-weight statue, especially in PVC, is sacrilege. People would rather have something that weighs a ton, shatters when it falls, and chips when you so much as breathe on it.
Another thing I've noticed from collectors in this hobby that confused me. I mostly just care about how good the piece looks and if it will hold up over the long haul. Sure, I don't want a large polystone piece to be paper light (as I'd assume that it's hollow and that the factory cut corners), but I also don't want the piece weighing a ton either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marker2037 View Post
I don't think this is the norm, far from it, and actually a poor example. If someone was using a collecting mentality similar to that, I think it would be more along the lines of: you've got a statue in front of you, you think it's terrific and perfectly executed, it was expensive but worth the cost, has a low ES, but the one thing -- you don't have any sort of emotional connection to the property/license.

This happens all the time I find. People fall in love with the art and because of the low ES, they decide that it's worth owning themselves. The RARITY pushes them over the edge on something they don't have any sort of emotional or childhood attachment to, and because they love the art and they see the exclusivity of it, the piece now holds value to them.
Yeah, I've seen this happen a lot, too. And these are items that end up being placed on the chopping block then put up for sale after a few weeks or months of getting it in.

We're all different people and in turn collect differently. Part of the fun of this hobby is seeing this in action and experiencing different styles of collecting and collections that differ from yours.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:30 PM   #1214
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERSAFARA View Post
Superior to what? The rerelease that does not come with a wall?
Yeah thought that was obvious.
Some people say it looks better without the wall, I do not agree. I do not have the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
They said two days ago that the bust wouldn't change, and yet here we are. They don't have a clue! I'm not even mad, the bust needed altering as it wasn't fit for purpose. But are they going to offer one to those of us who have the originals that were badly designed and clearly not even tested?
Why would they? It just isn't feasible. Produce another 350 busts FoC and of course deal with the hassle of each customer that bought one and who knows hoe many of them that feel entitled to free shipping.
I mean improvements for new customers and not previous it isn't fair but what really is in life?

Previous buyers can still sell theirs for likely a (less than before) healthy profit and get the new one if they so desire...
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:26 PM   #1215
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Seems like Prime1 wanders blindly from one controversy to the next.

But then again, why not - people still clamber to buy their products regardless of what they do - so why change.

I say good luck to them - they've worked out a fool and "his" money is easily parted.....so let those hot air complaints keep flowing, along with your dollar bills.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:18 PM   #1216
Biggunz
Loki

Should I get the ex or regular?
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:43 PM   #1217
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Get both, life's too short for regrets......plus, based on recent history - these are even great as investment pieces
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:24 PM   #1218
Biggunz
Loki

Alright
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:36 PM   #1219
Tandre
Fantastic Four

What will be the next notice ?.
Third bust with tongue out, sold separalety?.
Prime 1 is dangerous.
Tandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:48 PM   #1220
Manu81
The Spirit

I would like one bust for every alien (chap, dog, warrior…)
Manu81 is offline   Reply With Quote