Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Chronicle Collectibles

Old 10-17-2018, 12:13 AM   #221
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
To be fair though this hobby is on life support, all you need to look at is ss es for most pieces have gone back to the early 2010 numbers. They also started selling bearbricks and Disney kids backpacks for christ sake. If this is not a sign of desperation I dunno what is.
That's Sideshow, NOT the hobby. They have been going downhill for years. They haven't sold something I care that is actually made by them about in the last 4-5 years.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #222
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Chronicle, which factory will be painting these? Hoping the dots won’t be an issue on this Trex like the last two...want to place my order but nervous because of the last rexes
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:07 AM   #223
Leekson
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Paul stated in live video that Rotunda Rex is a complete scan of 1/5 Rex maquette. Couple of things are bothering me regarding that statement. Here you can see comparison pics

My question is, why is it so different?
In my opinion, there can be two things, either it's not a scan of the maquette or someone did a very bad job on an awesome model scan. You can see the skin texture, teeth, the tail looks fat and short, etc... Also, I can't believe that the ILM stretched the neck, they've paid the attention to animal movement and behavior in the first film more than in any other. It seems to me that some people can't visualize the movement of the animal, for example the human biceps isn't the same when it's relaxed or when it's pumped, same works for the Rex's neck, it's not stretched, but that's just my personal opinion.
My point wasn't to demonize Paul or CC, or to complain about every mistake since no piece will ever be perfect, just to point out to some mistakes that can be fixed, since Paul stated that they are reading comments and will try to fix some things.

Here's a list of things that should be fixed in my opinion:
- pose of the neck
- lower teeth
- tongue pose
- skin looks rough, should be smoother
- tail looks short and fat
- body looks fat
- something about that scars looks off to me

One more question... Is it possible to launch this piece in 1/20 scale, since it would be holy grail for most JP collectors? Currently, it seems that this is intended only for the super rich, like Donald Gennaro thought the park should be... This piece should be available to more collectors

Last edited by Leekson; 10-21-2018 at 05:10 AM. Reason: ...
Leekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:10 AM   #224
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

$1350 is hardly for "super rich" only. I am so glad they went with the larger size instead of 1/20.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:19 AM   #225
Fu_Manchu
The Herculoids

I would like to thank Paul for confirming that this is a 3D scan of the maquette.

Discussing that has cost me a lot of nonsense typing in this thread.

I also hope that they don't mess too much with something is already perfect. To the untrained eye every T-Rex are the same but for me this is gold.
Fu_Manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:33 AM   #226
Leekson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
$1350 is hardly for "super rich" only. I am so glad they went with the larger size instead of 1/20.
Don't get me literally, I was just quoting Hammond for fun I don't think it's overpriced considering the size of the thing, but I still think some extra improvements are needed on this piece and then the price would be justified. I consider people super rich when they are ready to throw $1350 on the piece that doesn't look very good as it should look
I'm glad for you that your wish is granted regarding scale, but not all collectors have money or space to display the statue that size, of course that doesn't mean no pieces should be made in large scale, but talking about the profit for company I think 1/20 would be a complete score.
I suppose that this will be limited to 300 units considering the size and price, but I'm sure if it was 1/20 and around $600 it would be more affordable and sold out in 1000 units like BO Rex, but whole this situation regarding scale looks like competition of whose thing between the legs is bigger

Last edited by Leekson; 10-21-2018 at 07:53 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #227
Leekson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu_Manchu View Post
I would like to thank Paul for confirming that this is a 3D scan of the maquette.
Sure it is, just take a closer look at the skin texture on the comparison pics I've posted
Old 10-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #228
Fu_Manchu
The Herculoids

First you scan it, then you add skin details. Like they did in the movie. If you don't do that it would look flat.

Anyways I'm not discussing basic 3D modelling anymore, I'm discussing the piece itself.
Fu_Manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #229
Leekson

Quote:
First you scan it, then you add skin details. Like they did in the movie. If you don't do that it would look flat.
Wow, really? Didn't know that...I've thought that technology changed since 1993. Well, in that case, I must say some cheap chinese factory scanned Horizon model, scaled it down from 1/16 to 1/35 and done much better job on the skin texture than CC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jurassic-Pa...9No:rk:22:pf:0
Old 10-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #230
Giu3232
Fantastic Four

Quote:
So you do it the same way since 25 years? 10 years ago you had scanner which were able to scan at 0.1 mm precision, I have one at home it costed me 5k usd, not incredibly expensive don't you think? ...

Here is what you get when you scan a less than 2 feet long horizon dilophosaur, scanned almost 5 years ago for my personnal JP project ... and they were not enough details on a 7 feet long TRex, according to you they needed to add more? Or at least try to match the animatronic, not random wrinkles details Lol

And I guess that if you want to add details, that's to mimic the maquette you scanned closer? Because I guess that's the goal no?

Quote:
Anyways I'm not discussing basic 3D modelling anymore, I'm discussing the piece itself.
I guess that's better yes
Giu3232 is offline   Reply With Quote