Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-03-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Who saw Hitchhiker's Guide?

I don't see any discussions about the movie and I'd really like to know what people thought about it So fill us in. It did make $21 million this weekend so I know folks saw it.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I was gonna see it... Does that count?!?! But I've heard nothing but great things about it. I was gonna see it this past weekend but some ppl pulled out and I was left hanging. Possibly sometime this week though.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
hillis3
Birdman

I saw it. I really enjoyed the movie. I thought the movie was very well done; the narration, the use of the guide during the movie, and the acting. The movie was very entertaining, and I do not think they could have made a better adaptation from the book.
hillis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:57 PM   #4
CanadianMachine
I am da law!

I absolutly loved the movie, but I never read the book, so diehard fans may disagree. The cast was great and they did a great job. The best had to be Sam Rockwell and Alan Rickman. If you like scifi with a lot of comedy I highly recommend it.
CanadianMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:10 PM   #5
leks
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I once bought the book ultimate hitchhiker's guide which contains this book aswell but never got around reading it so I am still openminded...great that the comments are positive...
leks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:26 PM   #6
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

I thought the movie was great. One of the best book to screen adaptations ever done.

It was bugging me the whole movie as to where I had seen the girl that played Trillian before. It finally dawned on me the next day that she was the love interest for Will Ferrell in "Elf". She did a good job.

Ford Prefect was not how I pictured him reading the books, but he is now. Outstanding job.

My friend's son made the observation that in the book Douglas Adams had tried to portray the two heads of Zaphod as not just having two different personalities, but as being almost schizophrenic. He thought the way the two heads was done did a much better job at conveying that than Adams was able to do in the book. I completely agree, and not a bad observation for a lad in his early teens.

I also liked the answer to the question "Why do the Vogons have impacted noses and no independent thought?" They did not beat you over the head with the answer, yet the answer was there clear as day.

I hope this one does well enough to warrant making at least the rest of the Trilogy. If they make Restaurant at the End of the Universe, I really think Rosanne Barr/Arnold/? would be a perfect fit for the role of the cow. Can you picture her going from table to table taking orders in that nasal voice?
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:28 PM   #7
Bartman256
The X-Men

I saw this on Sunday. I've heard of the books, not familiar with any of it.

I enjoyed the movie. I'm still "tripping" over the idea of the planet being constructed...
Bartman256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:14 PM   #8
SirConor
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I loved it. I'm a huge fan of the books, and while I don't much expect any movie to equal the Adams' greatness, the movie was more than enjoyable. Very well done, great characterization (Beeblebrox and Marvin couldnt possibly be better), the humor is great (although I think one really must read the books to realize the full extent of the wit involved), everything was keen.

I was highly skeptical too going into it, if that's worth anything.... especially of Mos Def being Ford Prefect, but he more than pulls it off.
SirConor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:53 PM   #9
Wayne Industries
Blue Falcon

glad to hear good reviews...been on the fence whether to see this one or not..
Wayne Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 06:04 AM   #10
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Just saw it today, or I should say Friday, and I loved it. The book was brought to life amazingly well. It carried through nicely. I'm already waiting for the dvd!
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote