I would send her back
Asgard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #272
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
I would send her back
I've contacted Sideshow for comment. They might suggest a way to remove the paint. Returning a piece is agro, and attempting to recover the import fee is bigger agro.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:31 PM   #273
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
I've contacted Sideshow for comment. They might suggest a way to remove the paint. Returning a piece is agro, and attempting to recover the import fee is bigger agro.
They send it as a replacement with 0 value. I live in Canada and have to deal with a similar issue.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #274
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
I would send her back
Sideshow CS has been in touch. They offered 3 options:

1. Return X-23, and they'll send out a new one.
2. Return X-23, and receive a refund.
3. Accept $40 in Sideshow credit/points

I decided to accept $40 Sideshow credit/points - reason being, i could end up with a replacement that has other issues. Also, boxing up the piece and waiting for DHL to collect and deliver takes up too much time. I did consider the refund option, but i do like the piece, even it is made from Polyresin. The plan is to try and remove the black paint mark(s).
Old 07-27-2019, 07:42 AM   #275
ukshaun
Hercules

I've got back to thinking about displays using metal racking shelving. Having been doing some research, i think i've found what i've been looking for. I wanted one continuous span, with thick shelves, thick metal. I didn't want bright orange or blue etc. Given my room size, lack of height etc, i think i've found the ideal solution.

Racking 1677h x 2135w x 455d mm (the one in picture is shorter than 2135)
3 Levels (shelves) - 400kg per shelf.
Galvanised (silver metal) - Premium, industrial-grade European steel.
Upright Steel Thickness - 1.5mm
15mm thick chipboard shelves.

I'd add a 4th shelf, as the plan would be to use only 2 shelves. The top shelf almost touches the ceiling, but add's stability. Likewise, the bottom shelf add's stability. The 2 middle shelves would display my 1/4 scale pieces.

Other plans include spray painting the underside of the 1.5mm wood shelves silver, and i'd cover the tops in fabric, possibly grey colored felt. Backing i thought about using a grey colored muslin backdrop used for Photography. I considered black and white, but grey suits all my pieces. I'd have to build a wooden frame around the metal racking, and use glass from my dismantled IKEA Detolf units.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #276
Asgard
Deadman

I looked for shelves after many solutions. Also what you show here. I found the best, cheapest and most flexible solutions at IKEA.
Asgard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:29 AM   #277
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
I looked for shelves after many solutions. Also what you show here. I found the best, cheapest and most flexible solutions at IKEA.
I wanted to go with metal. Not orange or blue etc. Silver seemed neutral (compared to black or white for example).

I've ordered it now. I dropped a size to:
1677h x 1830w x 455d (..as i needed to leave room for 1x Ikea Detolf)

The description made me laugh:
Robust, rigid & reliable; our most popular commercially used BiG400 shelving is designed for larger-sized loads & intensive use within industrial environments.

They won't be getting intensive use.
They won't be located within an industrial environment.
I guess 1/4 scale statues amount to larger-sized loads, sort of.

I'm still pondering..
Do i have 2 rows of 1/4 pieces or do i have 3 rows of 1/4 pieces?
3 rows means one row being (almost) at ground level, which i wanted to avoid. Then there's the height issue of some pieces.
I think 2 rows is best. I doubt i'll have room for all my 1/4 pieces.
My lack of space bothers me.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #278
ukshaun
Hercules

Silver (unpainted) metal racking arrived today
It made sense to polish it to remove the smell of metal.

I'm going to be limited to having just 2 shelves, as i need to allow for a height of 24 inches
minimum on both shelves. The reality being, it will not be possible to show all my pieces.
I guess i could get around this by having different set up's from time to time, as i doubt it
does a statue to spend it's life hidden in a box.

Update 1..

Started building a frame to surround the racking. It serves also the higher the racking so the
lowest shelf is as high as my limited ceiling space allows. The front right post as been painted
silver, using 2 coats of Chalk paint followed by a layer of wax. It looks good close up.

Update 2..

White panel added to the right side and left side (out of view). It serves to add strength and
help keep dust out (once the glass front has been added). As luck would have it, the side's of
the white panels have a satin silver metal strip on each side that matches the silver painted
vertical wooden posts.

Update 3..

Found some free time today to do some more work on the display unit. Started to construct the
front pieces of wood that will eventually support the 6 pieces of glass (from the dismantled Ikea
Detolf units)
. It's taken a ton of time measuring, sawing, drilling, screwing.

The front piece metal racking was put in place to make sure it fits. Fits it does.. just!. The middle
shot shows the rail the glass will sit behind. The 3rd shots shows a close up of the metal racking,
metal strip on side of wood panel, and vertical wood frame painted using silver chalk paint.

The plan is to spray paint the underside of the wood shelves silver. The other plan is to cover
the top and sides of the shelves with fabric. I located some fabric on ebay (see image). The
fabric is described:
Grey Heavy Duty Thick Water Resistant Canvas Fabric 600D Outdoor Cover

The shade of grey should match the frame (fingers crossed). I like the surface pattern, as it
reminds of the texture of Deadpool's costume

Update 4...

Got some more work done today. The frame is 95% complete and painted. The grey canvas
(to cover the shelves) arrived today and it looks perfect for the job.

I ordered 2x two meter lengths of Super Bright LED Strip Commercial Lights Waterproof. I went
with water proof, as they are covered in plastic, as i have seen some LED strips where the LED's are exposed.
The plan is to attach the 2 meter lengths to wood (painted silver) using clear plastic clips, as double
sided tape can be unreliable. I decided to go with warm light, so as to avoid the clinical look
some displays have, which i find slightly cold.

Update 5...

I'm almost there. Got a stack of tasks completed today:

1. Ran speaker cables and extension lead under wooden base - as the audio speakers are on the opposite
side of the room to the TV. Over on the wall withe the speakers there was no power. Now i have a 4 way power adapter so can
have Mileena 1/3 lit up (once i obtain a US - UK step down convertor).

2. Filled the space below the lowest shelf with sheep's wool insulation and covered with foil.
A number of reasons for this: To block out sound, help insulate the room, possibly maintain room temperature balance,
as the room was prove to getting cold in the winter, hot in the summer. Since i had some sheeps wool insulation left over after
lagging the outside walls, it made sense to use it up. Not to mention it was taking up space.

3. Cut some wood to size to block up a gap between the top of the wooden frame and the ceiling.
This task took longer than expected.

4. Added white cotton backdrop. This required a pole to be fitted behind the metal racking. I'm
not too sold on the white backdrop, as the quality looks average. It will do for now.

5. Finally i got to put together the metal frame and place it inside the wooden frame. There is
zero millimeters to spare to the left and right side. There is more than enough room front to back.

Tasks remaining:

1. Cover shelves in fabric. The plan is to glue the fabric on.

2. Add 2x LED light strips. This will require the strips to be added to lengths of wood via clear plastic clips.

3. Put 6x glass panels (from Ikea Detolf units) in place.

Update 6...

Been busy for most of the day - attached the two strips of LED's to the metal racking. Why do
these things always take longer than planned?

The LED strips were attached to wood via clear plastic clips. Each length of wood required 3
sections of wood so that it was possible to sit the assembled piece on the front and rear lips
of the metal cross sections that form the racking.

Tasks remaining:

1. Cover shelves in fabric. The plan is to glue the fabric on.

2. Put 6x glass panels (from Ikea Detolf units) in place.

I've covered one shelf in fabric already. Need to let the glue set for 24hrs. If all works out well,
i can cover the other two shelves.

Update 7... (MISSION COMPLETE)

Gluing the grey fabric onto the wood turned out to be a bit of a mission. I got there in the end.
The result turned out as planned.

The 6x glass panels (from Ikea Detolf units) have been slid into place.

The white fabric at the back of the unit might need to washed to get the creases out, as the creases
have started to bother me somewhat. The good this is, if i get bored of white, it would be simple
enough to change the color. I'll post some photo's as soon, as i have to be at work in 45 minutes.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #279
ukshaun
Hercules

Unit completed. Left side taken with flash. Right side taken without flash.

The unit is the width of 5.2 Ikea Detolf units. Deeper, stronger, with the added bonus of
extra room as there are no panels separating each of the units.

I'm still working on the white fabric backdrop. I either need to find a way of removing the
creases or replace the fabric. I have considered felt.

The horizontal beams will have the fabric pinned in place. The idea is, art prints could
be hung on these.

Lower left close up. Wood painted silver. Shelves covered in grey fabric. Seam between glass
panels almost non-existent. The plan is to carpet the room using grey/silver carpet.

LED strip 'ON'. I went with warm white, as too bright white light can look cold.

Random shot.

Lower rail close-up. The glass panels are supported by wood. Large metal washers were used
to stop the panels slipping off. I did look into obtains rails, but i couldn't located quite what i
was looking for.

Once the carpet has been fitted, i'll be able to start adding statues
..which will provide the much needed color.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #280
Mister H
Green Goblin

Much respect.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote