Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Just The Facts... > Collection Corner

Old 10-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Wrothy's Collection Thread

Hey guys. Though I'd start up a collection thread, now that I've got a few things to show.

Let's start where it all began, at Supanova in Perth in June this year.

Nicola Scott is a great person to talk to, a talented artist and not exactly hard on the eyes! She did this Cheetah sketch for me:

I also purchased this page from Birds of Prey:

The interesting thing about Nicola's work is that she does prelim pencils in reverse on the back of the comic page, so you effectively get two pieces of art for the price of one!
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Wrothy

The next person I spoke to was Jason Chatfield, who does the Ginger Meggs comic strip. Everyone else was asking for sketches of Ginger, so I thought I'd ask for an Eddie Coogan sketch. He ended up doing me this little strip, as he remembered a joke involving Coogan:

Later on I went back, and he was doing sketches of Ginger as various superheroes, so I asked him to do SuperMeggs:

Unfortunately, I didn't get to Tim Sale in time for a fastpass sketch, but I caught him during a slow period and he did this Bizarro for me:
Old 10-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Good stuff Steve!!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
Wrothy

On the second day of Supanova, I got in bright and early and was able to get a fastpass sketch from Tim Sale. This is his rendition of Etrigan:

While waiting in line for Tim, I found out that Dave Gibbons was doing quick sketches for people when things weren't too busy (contrary to the sign behind him saying he wasn't doing sketches). I caught him during a slow period, and he did this Hal Jordan for me:
Old 10-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
Wrothy

My next pickup was from eBay - I won this sketch of the David Tennant Dr Who by Blair Shedd:

Also included was this digitally coloured version...

And a print of what I believe will be the cover to the comic adaptation of the next Dr Who special, The Waters of Mars:
Old 10-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
Wrothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Good stuff Steve!!
Thanks Dave!
Old 10-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
Wrothy

Now we move to September. My wife went on holidays to the USA with her sister, and while over there, they went to Dragon*Con.

Prior to the con, I made contact with Dan Brereton, and organised for him to do me an Etrigan sketch for pickup at the con. The agreement was for a full body Etrigan "with some colour", and boy did Dan deliver!

I gave my wife two sketchbooks to take along with her. One had the theme Legion of Doom (the villains from the old Challenge of the Superfriends cartoon). She managed to get me three sketches in this book.

Giganta by Andy Price:

Bizarro by George Perez:

Captain Cold by Ken Steacy:
Old 10-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
Wrothy

The other sketchbook had the theme Spider-Man: Friends and Foes. My wife was only able to get one sketch in this, as Mark Brooks had the book for pretty much the whole con, but what a sketch:

I was also lucky to get a sketch from Amanda Conner. Lucky, because she fell ill on the Sunday of the con and was in her room all day. She still managed to do this Krypto and Streaky for me though:
Old 10-17-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Wrothy

On her way back from the USA, my wife stopped in Brisbane and my son and I flew over to meet her and spend a few days there. While there, GenConOz was on.

I spoke to Wayne Nichols, and he did this great Solomon Grundy in my Legion of Doom sketchbook:

Stewart McKenny was there as well. Unfortunately he wasn't doing sketches as he was under pressure to meet deadlines, but i picked up this Gorilla Grodd piece that he already had in his folder:
Old 10-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Alex655321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrothy View Post
Now we move to September. My wife went on holidays to the USA with her sister, and while over there, they went to Dragon*Con.

Prior to the con, I made contact with Dan Brereton, and organised for him to do me an Etrigan sketch for pickup at the con. The agreement was for a full body Etrigan "with some colour", and boy did Dan deliver!

Captain Cold by Ken Steacy:
Great stuff Steve !

Really dig the Demon, and gotta love the captain cold great artwork with a funny touch to it !

By the way you are a lucky man to have a wife that helps you out like this !
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote