Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Friends of Northstar

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #2891
superdoug
Minister of ROT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougartrace View Post
why does the Birthday Boy hate 300?
I'm not really sure. He told me the other night, and I can't recall his reasons for the life of me. I guess, if you're looking for strong character development in the way of dialogue/exposition, it's not big on that. I thought the characterization was remarkably compelling. I got chills watching it, because it was like watching the graphic novel literally come off the page and onto the screen.

Again, it gave me really good hopes for Watchmen.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #2892
Jesse321
Galactus

While 300 was visually stunning, the problem for was the dialogue (or lack there of) and the lack of character development that the GN had. More and more special effects and C.G.I. cease to empress me if there isn't a good story behind it all, eye candy only goes so far these days, especially since most special effects and C.G.I. is so readily available to everyone now a days.

I wasn't a waste of a couple of hours and it was most definitely worth the price of the rental, but I'm glad I didn't go to the theater to see it, I would have walked out disappointed.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #2893
Merlose
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Also i think he was upset about the Spartans being homophobic especially when everyone knows that the Spartans were gayer than the Athenians
Old 08-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #2894
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlose View Post
Also i think he was upset about the Spartans being homophobic especially when everyone knows that the Spartans were gayer than the Athenians
I haven't even seen the movie yet, but I do remember Frank Miller being taken to task for some of his historical liberties. As usual, Miller blew those criticisms off by saying "Get over it, it's a comic book," or words to that effect. Trouble is, you can claim vast research and high art and then retreat to "just a comic" when valid criticism is levelled at you, Frank.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #2895
superdoug
Minister of ROT

Quote:
That 'boy-lover' comment, as well as the comment about 'lending your backside to a philosopher' has less to do with homophobia than it does with the condemnation of pederasty in the Athenian culture. (Also, Athens had little respect from Sparta, having rolled over for Xerxes' father before deciding--nearly too late, and only after Thermopylae--to fight) Philosophers were known for their insistence that young boys were acceptable as lovers.

Spartan men did not lie with boys. They lay with their shield-brothers. I didn't get a sense of homophobia at all. In fact, I thought the whole thing smacked of barely-repressed gay love.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #2896
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdoug View Post
That 'boy-lover' comment, as well as the comment about 'lending your backside to a philosopher' has less to do with homophobia than it does with the condemnation of pederasty in the Athenian culture. (Also, Athens had little respect from Sparta, having rolled over for Xerxes' father before deciding--nearly too late, and only after Thermopylae--to fight) Philosophers were known for their insistence that young boys were acceptable as lovers.

Spartan men did not lie with boys. They lay with their shield-brothers. I didn't get a sense of homophobia at all. In fact, I thought the whole thing smacked of barely-repressed gay love.
Well, what doesn't, really?

I have a friend of mine--gay, of course--who loves to regale me with all the ways gay love can be read into culture in general. And he's actually pretty good at it, and entertaining, too. I've told him many times he needs to write a book.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #2897
Merlose

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdoug View Post
In fact, I thought the whole thing smacked of barely-repressed gay love.
Speaking of repressed gay love, when is your date with B_C?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #2898
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Speaking of repressed gay love, when is your date with B_C?
It's nice how this thread transitions from intellectual criticism to talking smack so smoothly....
Old 08-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #2899
Merlose

it wasn't smack they're both from Texas, Just wanting to bring them together in spartan love. We can have a big Statuefourm commitment ceremony.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #2900
superdoug
Minister of ROT

LOL. I don't think that Jim would like that very much. Besides, I know I'm not Mike's type.

We do plan on getting together, though.
Closed Thread