Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-01-2005, 04:10 AM   #1
bat_collector
Galactus

The Good, Bad, Ugly Reviews:New Avengers, Generation M, Batman, Ultimate Fantastic 4

First off, did anyone read Wizard's awards? I gotta hand it to them, handing out best single issue to All Star Superman #1, that's either gutsy or just the hype machine rolling. Still, it is an issue that gets better every time your read it. I officially take back my negative review of it just a few weeks ago. Moorison, you rock.

In a week where Ronin was revealed, Wonder Woman takes to fight against Omacs, Namor shows he a powerful adversary and a depowered mutant already gets their power back in X-men, my pick of the week is . . . Batman #647.

But first, at Miamiloco's request, my shortest review ever, and purely just a personal opinion of the issue and not an attack on the writer:

Black Panther #10
The Ugly: If a white man would have written this issue, he would have been fired by now for using ugly sterotypes. We get Puff Daddy-wannabe rapper pretty much spouting racists remarks, hitting girls and using guns at a club. Sorry, not for me, and totally over shadows a so-so story being written anyway.

Ultimate Fantastic Four #25
The Good: Man, there is so much to love in this issue. Lets start with Greg Land's art, who does another fantastic job art wise. You could stare at some of his panels for days. Some of his characters aren't as good as others, but his Namor is powerful and his Sue Storm sexy.
But, there is story here too, and Millar is in the middle of another good arc after Crosover. Ultimate Namor has arrived, and he doesn't disapoint. He is just as powerful, and arrogant, as you would expect. He also wastes no time trying to hook up with Sue, whisking her away to Times Square at first chance. But, don't expect this to be a simple re-hash of his original orgins. The big reveal at the end shows there is more to him than you might have expected, and that only spells trouble for the FF.
The Bad: Greg Land is great, but his Johnny Storm is too much a pretty boy.
The Ugly: Hmm, I think Reed Richards is working on a project that just may come in handy for the next issue. What a coincidence!

New Avengers #13
The Good: David Finch. Plain and simple. I become a bigger and bigger fan of his with every issue, and now think his Silver Samurai is the best I've ever seen. I read this series simply to see his work.
But, don't worry, Bendis (formerly referred to in these pages affectionately as BendiZZZZ) writes a great story. Actually, the best arc of the New Avengers so far, and one of the better reads on the market. And to think I thought about dropping this title during the Sentry Arc. Intrigue, drama, mystery, betrayl, secrets, and witty dialouge. Pick this up!
The Bad: Sentry wasn't in this, so I shudder to think how bad this will be when he does pop up.
The Ugly: Oh yeah, Marvel, next time you want to keep a secret identity a secret, don't mass publish it in a book a month before the title hits shelves. The Echo as Ronin "mystery" wasn't that great to begin with, but I hate having things revealed that far in advance.

Generation M #1
The Good Maybe the DeciMation thing might be good yet. Let me tell you this, this series starts like nothing you were expecting. Did you imagine Chamber and Jubilee would meet after M Day and try to figure out what happened to them? Well, that isn't the plot at all. Its starts off slowly, with a drunk reporter wanting to write a "Mutant Diary" in the paper, a chance for depowered mutants to tell their story. And a sad tale it is, as many died when they lost their powers. Water mutants drowned, fire mutants burned to death, flying mutants fell to their death. But, anti-mutant hysteria is not dead, and neither is the Mutant Regitration Act. While the reporter's "Mutant Diary," focusing on a comatose, and mutilated, Chamber, proves to be a hit, she learns soon not everone wants to hear the mutant side of the story. And some are taking this to deadly levels.
I do not know how big a part Chamber, Jubilee, and the Blob will play in this mini, but I do know Jenkins has written an intriguing plot that demands I read the next issue. If you are into DeciMation, pick this up!
The Bad: The art by Ramon Bachs will not blow you away.
The Ugly: Nothing, the only thing ugly here is a panel of Chamber when his powers go off. Ouch!

Batman #647
The Good: Poor Judd Winick! How could he have imagined Brubacker would be bringing back Bucky in the infinately superior Captain America at the same time he brought Jason Todd back to the pages of Batman. Really bad timing!
But, at least it is still a good, and sometimes great, read. As you may know, Jason Todd is alive and well (seemingly) and making a criminal empire of his own as the new Red Hood, killing all in his path. Unfortanatley, that path is blocked by Blask Mask, who currently is king of Gotham's underworld. Black Mask joins the Luthor's Society of villains at the request of Deathstroke, who promises to send some of his underlings (Captain Nazi, Hyena, and a secret third member) to kill the Red Hood.
Will Jason survive? Will Batman come to his former side-kicks aid? Read and find out.
While the comparisons to Cap will be valid, I will mention this has one things going for it that does make it stand out, and that's humor. Yes, Black Mask is one of he more entertaining bat-villains to read, and is even more entertaining when he is angry. While Batman is taking this as bad as you might expect, the little touches of humor make this title a fun read.
And the last panel!!!! Jason, you are soooooo gonna get whooped!
The Bad: Nothing, I enjoyed this title immensely this month.
The Ugly: Please explain sooner or later how Jason walks among the living again!

Well, that's it. Thanks for reading, and let me know what you thought about any of the books I reviewed.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:41 AM   #2
Wolverine1
SNIKT!!! Keeping the pimp hand strong! Rot Minister of Nocturnal Security

You read these too fast, I will chime in around Saturday.
Wolverine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #3
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1
You read these too fast, I will chime in around Saturday.
Hey, I stayed up late doing these. Some good stuff, intriguing stuff came out this week. I just had to review these titles.

Chime in on saturday and tell me what you think.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

X-men spoiler

How about X-Men # 178 (Iceman has his powers back). That didn't take long
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el
How about X-Men # 178 (Iceman has his powers back). That didn't take long
Just what I was thinking Kal! I was shocked, and almost to a point outraged.

I knew Iceman would have to get his powers back, but man the reality of M Day had barely set in and now bobby has his powers back. Maybe they can will them back on, I don't know.

This better be part of a larger plot line and not some isolated incident, or it'll just come off as convienent writing.

With that being said, can Chamber please get his powers back.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

b_c, don't take back your review of AS Superman just because of what Wizard says. I know you say it gets better everytime you read it but I've reread it 2 or 3 times and I still give it a thumbs down.

As you'll read from my Black Panther review, you and I again are on opposite sides of the fence. It doesn't matter that a black man wrote it or that a white man didn't, this is a depiction of this type of affluent urban celebrity life that jibes completely with what you read in the papers or see in the news. i think you're short selling the story, the intricate plot weaving, and the growing dynamics between the two main characters. Stop rereading AS Superman and give this book another try.

I'm glad you finally came around on New Avengers though. Again, we both reviewed this one, too.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

I agree with Wizard. All Star Superman DOES get better every time you read it, which is something very rare. Good reviews B_C!!!
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:56 PM   #8
rychehitman
Galactus

touching upon Black Panther again....and this is strictly my opinion..

I cannot believe Marvel signs Scot Eaton to an exclusive contract, then put him on this book, only to have his pencils inked by Klaus Janson. Klaus Janson's is not an inker that can do anything for anyone...like a Terry Austin...he has a style that works well with certain pencillers, but not for Scot Eaton pencils. They styles clash too much and do not compliment one another whatsoever.
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
It doesn't matter that a black man wrote it or that a white man didn't, this is a depiction of this type of affluent urban celebrity life that jibes completely with what you read in the papers or see in the news.
So if Bendis had written this issue he wouldn't get a MILLION letters?? I flipped through this issue just to see if I would give it another chance and man, "Ashy Butt??" Then the P Diddy character beats his woman and pull out a gun? I'm sure there are way more positive sides to the urban celebrity life that Hudlin could put out there. Why focus on the negative??!!
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:04 PM   #10
Jesse321
Galactus

Great reviews BC ... I'm also getting tired of not knowing how Jason is back from the dead, it's an issue that really needs to addressed soon!
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote