Stargirl Bombshells Statue by DC Collectibles

Stargirl Bombshells – DC Collectibles
Designed by Ant Lucia.
Sculpted by Tim Miller.
Stands at approximately 9.7” high.
Limited edition size of 5200.
RRP: $124.95 USD

Intro.
The Bombshells statues continue with the latest addition: Stargirl! Once again based on the wonderful pin-up art of Ant Lucia, Stargirl is perhaps our first ‘non-traditional’ character to be in this line, with all the other characters so far being regularly used for statues, so it’s nice to get someone new for a line that’s been a breath of fresh air already.

Previously relased in this line, we’ve had Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Batgirl, Black Canary and now, Stargirl. There’s also Zatanna, which is scheduled for later this year, and Hawkgirl, Mera and Lois Lane all confirmed for 2015 releases.

Stargirl is still rather new to the statue-game, this being her first major statue released by DC Collectibles, so let’s see how she debuts.

Sculpt. 8.0
The last release in this last, Black Canary, had a bit of a change of pace and was sculpted by Sam Greenwell. Stargirl, however, goes back to the regular sculptor for this line, Tim Miller.

At first, I thought her pose was pretty underwhelming. But by the time I saw the in-hand photos, it really started to grow on me. With one leg down she looks to be almost floating, and it’s definitely a feature you’ll appreciate when you see her in person.

The hair looks great, the costume looks great, and the little touches, like her tattoo on her upper arm, look great. There’s even muscles on her back that you can see, and the goggles are a really nice addition. Overall, a really nice sculpt.

Paint. 7.0
The paintwork here is what you’d expect from the Bombshell line. Stargirl has quite a nice, clean paintjob, with sharp edges in most areas. There are, however, some areas where there is a little overlap over the paint colours, but it is very small and unnoticeable. Could it have been a little sharper? Yes, but it is still quite a good job.

The blue is her costume is quite vibrant and is complimented really well with her gold staff and the whites in her costume. I would have liked to of seen the reds be a bit more brighter too, since they look really deep and dark.

Design. 8.0
Ant Lucia once again designs, with a gorgeous piece of his pin-up art. Stargirl is one of those characters that seem to blend perfectly with the 40’s theme running through the series. Her classic Hollywood blonde hair down to her patriotic colours and girl-next-door charm makes Stargirl the ultimate bombshell.

Stargirl’s design translates quite well to statue form. I was a little worried they wouldn’t be able to pull off the floating pose, but it works quite nicely here.

Production and Build Quality. 7.0
Right off the bat, this statue is really, really well packed. The base is in a separate compartment from the statue in the Styrofoam box, and is well made and protected to ensure there isn’t as much breakage of the nameplate as there has been with previous statues in this line, particularly Supergirl. So I have to give credit to DC for re-evaluating the way they pack their statues.

Aside from that, there are a few issues with the QC of this piece. Firstly, she wobbles a lot when she’s in the pegs. Like, a lot. To the point where you can slide her around and -almost- face a different direction. It’s not bad enough that she would take a fall if you shake it or anything, since the peg is quite deep into the base, but definitely keep that in mind when moving her around as a precaution.

Another issue is there’s a tiny gap between her leg and costume, as well as her body and costume. It looks like it almost hasn’t been fully glued together or something. You can even see some of the glue kind of spread around the very edges of the top of her leg. It’s hardly noticeable though, but definitely worth mentioning.

I probably should’ve given the statue a 6 or 6.5 due to those issues, but the packaging was so well done that I can’t seem to go anything lower than 7.

Overall. 7.5
Stargirl makes quite a nice impression, and is a colourful addition to the Bombshell line, which seems to be getting a lot better. I am really loving the line and I’m really excited to see Zatanna and Hawkgirl.

The good news about Stargirl is, since she’s not exactly an A-list character, is you can get a great deal on her. While she retails for $125, I’ve seen listings on eBay for as low as $90. The only downside to Stargirl's unpopularity is she has gone slightly under the radar. Hopefully this review will remind you to go pick this beauty up!

Dahwaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Great review!
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
dechirico7
The Flash

Awesome piece.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Nice set of pics!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Beautiful piece! Great review!!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
dechirico7
The Flash

I was able to snag this lovely piece for $70! Great deal. I just hope mine arrives ok. I noticed that a lot of retailers still have her up for pre-order. Did these retailers sell out of their first shipment?
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote