Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-20-2017, 04:16 AM   #971
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
I'm glad that movie never got made. Rose would have been a terrible Red Sonja. Just watch her in that crappy Conan movie. She was terrible. Just not the right genre for her.
I was thinking the same, but the pics looks amazing! So I really don't know what to think until I see the actress dressed up like RS.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:17 AM   #972
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Unfortunately, the movie was scrapped and never got made. Those posters were just concept art for the film. It was to star Rose McGowan, Rodriguez's fiancee at the time. Its a shame as she did look great in those concept art posters and Rodriguez is one of the few directors out there that I think could make a decent Red Sonja film. I guess some things just aren't meant to be. Who knowns, maybe we will see a Red Sonja film before the comic movie frenzy finally dies down.
Thanks for the info, I did YouTube all over for a trailer or maybe full movie and saw nothing. Makes sense now.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #973
Xaerius
The Herculoids

Quote:
And given that She Devil with a Sword is now waitlisted, that means Sideshow basically sold 9000 Red Sonja statues over the last few years...
More likely, sales dwindled off so they never completed their collector edition runs (as likely happens more often than we realize) and began sales of their new piece. As you are probably aware, pieces go on waitlist in between production batch runs as well. If there aren't enough orders to proceed with a new run, then production stops; if there are enough sales but no more interest the unsold pieces from the last produced batch sit in one of their warehouses until they either sell or get discounted and sold.

Just a thought...we do not know how many pieces of either statue were actually produced and sold but it is a popular character, I am sure.
Xaerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #974
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
I have never seen Sonja depicted with brown hair in the comics and I own pretty much all of them up to the latest volume. I stopped buying modern comics so I don't own any of the latest volumes issues. If you did see brown hair in the comics it was likely due to a printing error. Look how red they made her hair for the movie:

Again her red hair and her chain mail armor are really the 2 main design elements of the character.
Why is she licking the sword? Like, what's going on there?
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #975
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
Why is she licking the sword? Like, what's going on there?
Sorry, gonna have to get in touch with Robert Rodriguez to get a definitive answer on that, but one could certainly make the assumption that its either meant to make the poster look more sexy or make it look like she's a bad a*s warrrior that likes the taste of blood. There really aren't too many other option's in regards to just what licking a sword that had blood on it means when referring to Red Sonja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaerius View Post
More likely, sales dwindled off so they never completed their collector edition runs (as likely happens more often than we realize) and began sales of their new piece. As you are probably aware, pieces go on waitlist in between production batch runs as well. If there aren't enough orders to proceed with a new run, then production stops; if there are enough sales but no more interest the unsold pieces from the last produced batch sit in one of their warehouses until they either sell or get discounted and sold.

Just a thought...we do not know how many pieces of either statue were actually produced and sold but it is a popular character, I am sure.
This topic has already been addressed in the past by Sideshow. Sideshow completes all of thier editions. Only a couple of times in Sideshow's entire history has an edition been halted before completion and they wound up going back and completing them later on. I forget exactly why, but I think it was with the Star Wars Mythos line. So the idea that Sideshow just ceases production of an edition if sales start slowing is just completely incorrect. They complete all of thier editions so the stated edition sizes are 100% accurate. So Sideshow sold 4500 of the initial Red Sonja PF and if this is the final batch on She Devil with a Sword, then Sideshow has now sold 4500 of those statues as well. So that's 9000 Red Sonja statues in total over the last few years, unless they have another batch coming for She Devil with a Sword.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #976
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Sorry, gonna have to get in touch with Robert Rodriguez to get a definitive answer on that, but one could certainly make the assumption that its either meant to make the poster look more sexy or make it look like she's a bad a*s warrrior that likes the taste of blood. There really aren't too many other option's in regards to just what licking a sword that had blood on it means when referring to Red Sonja.
"911. What is your emergency"
"There's someone walking around licking a sword."
"Licking a sword?"
"Yes."
"Is the person stabbing people?"
"Nope. just walking around licking it. Its got red stu...wait...I think its blood. Ya, she's licking blood off it."
"So this woman...are you sure its blood?"
"No. It might be cherry tang."
"Oh."
"And she's in armor."
"Please provide details"
"Well, its more of a bikini."
"A bikini? An armor biki...wait...please explain."
"She's walking around in a metal bikini liking cherry tang off a sword. She may be, like, severally retarded."
"The authorities have been called back. Please stop calling this line sir."
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #977
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:

This topic has already been addressed in the past by Sideshow. Sideshow completes all of thier editions. Only a couple of times in Sideshow's entire history has an edition been halted before completion and they wound up going back and completing them later on. I forget exactly why, but I think it was with the Star Wars Mythos line. So the idea that Sideshow just ceases production of an edition if sales start slowing is just completely incorrect. They complete all of thier editions so the stated edition sizes are 100% accurate. So Sideshow sold 4500 of the initial Red Sonja PF and if this is the final batch on She Devil with a Sword, then Sideshow has now sold 4500 of those statues as well. So that's 9000 Red Sonja statues in total over the last few years, unless they have another batch coming for She Devil with a Sword.
They actually have to complete it. When you sign a contract with the factories like this you sign for a set run. The factories I've been dealing with require half payment up front, half upon shipment. But you are obligated to pay for all of them. So there is no, stop production in the middle of a run. Even with the Open Editions, they would have to commit to a certain amount, all they probably do after the initial shipment is have the factory keep the mold tooling instead of tossing it so they can do another run if it's called for.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #978
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
They actually have to complete it. When you sign a contract with the factories like this you sign for a set run. The factories I've been dealing with require half payment up front, half upon shipment. But you are obligated to pay for all of them. So there is no, stop production in the middle of a run. Even with the Open Editions, they would have to commit to a certain amount, all they probably do after the initial shipment is have the factory keep the mold tooling instead of tossing it so they can do another run if it's called for.
Seems odd that there wouldn't be a new contract for each batch.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #979
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Ss should just have their own factories with top talents like p1. This wat all statues comes out top notch all
The times.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #980
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Seems odd that there wouldn't be a new contract for each batch.
You could, if you pay for the batches sepatately. But that doesn't really pay off fot the buyer. Becsuse if you sign a contract the price is also locked in. If you do separate contracts they could raise the price midstream
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote