Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Marvel NOW is a failed experiment. The FF, Avengers, X-Men and even Hulk are unrecognizable and practically unreadable. I agree about Daredevil being outstanding. It's the only book I'm looking forward to reading and doesn't feel like a complete reimagining or reboot.
I'll have to check DD out again. I'm less than impressed with most of the Marvel books, sadly.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Marvel NOW is a failed experiment. The FF, Avengers, X-Men and even Hulk are unrecognizable and practically unreadable.
I disagree. I think during the NOW age there have been some very good books released. I can and will only speak about what I've actually read, but being a lifelong X-Men fan Uncanny and especially All-New X-men are some of the best X-Men books to be released in years. Hulk started with a great premise, then wandered off a bit but I still think it's a solid book and is trying different things with the character. I already mentioned DD, and along those lines Hawkeye by Matt Fraction is a great book. Thor by Jason Aaron has been fantastic, and I've never been a big Thor fan. For me the weak spots have been Captain America, just have not enjoyed Remender's take, also Hickman's Avengers books have not been that enjoyable. Mighty Avengers is probably the best Avengers book out right now and is more in line with what I like in Avengers books. The Hickman ones are more high concept than I care for and don't read as well on a month to month basis, they'll probably be better once it's all said and done but for now I'm pretty bored. Black Widow is another great book. Not everything is great or even good, but if you write off Marvel because of marketing you're just going to miss out on some good reads. I don't like it and can't take anyone seriously, who criticizes books without reading them. Read the book for yourself and decide, if you don't like it then you don't like it but give it a chance, you might be surprised.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
I'll have to check DD out again. I'm less than impressed with most of the Marvel books, sadly.
Which ones have you read?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #14
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Which ones have you read?
Avengers and Cap have been my faves since I was a kid. Spidey is too, and I liked Slott's "Superior," but that wasn't NOW, was it? Hulk is okay, FF stunk, dropped both of those books.

I liked the All-New X-Men (Bendis' time-travel thing was fun). The other X-books left me confused more than anything (which is standard, sadly, for any X-book since the early 90s).

I've heard Thor was good, but never read Thor, really. Also heard great things about Hawkeye, but haven't tried that either. Mainly, I've been disappointed in Cap and the Avengers, because those have historically been my favorite books.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #15
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Avengers and Cap have been my faves since I was a kid. Spidey is too, and I liked Slott's "Superior," but that wasn't NOW, was it? Hulk is okay, FF stunk, dropped both of those books.

I liked the All-New X-Men (Bendis' time-travel thing was fun). The other X-books left me confused more than anything (which is standard, sadly, for any X-book since the early 90s).

I've heard Thor was good, but never read Thor, really. Also heard great things about Hawkeye, but haven't tried that either. Mainly, I've been disappointed in Cap and the Avengers, because those have historically been my favorite books.
Yup, Avengers and Cap have been the weak spots for me as well as I said, so you're not alone there. To be fair though, both have the unenviable task of following up some amazing runs by Bendis and Brubaker. Superior Spider-Man was great! And yes, I believe it is a Marvel NOW book, forgot to add that one to my list. That is one book that does not ignore the character's history at all. The two Bendis X-Men books have been great, especially All New-XM. X-Men which is the all female team has been ok, as has Amazing X-Men. Magneto is another one I'm enjoying, solid book with Magneto on his own being a badass, looking forward to his showdown with Red Skull.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #16
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I'll grant you that Thor has been great as well. I loved All-New X-Men but they lost me at the Atom storyline. I tried to get back in but felt it was inaccessible.

It's fine we disagree with each other. It's a free country.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:59 AM   #17
Marvelito

Quote:

It's fine we disagree with each other. It's a free country.
I agree.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:48 AM   #18
Thor57
Teen Titans

Bendis' run on Avengers was far from great. Entertaining at best. The best thing about Bendis and Avengers was the Dark Avengers storyline years ago.

Echo the comments for Thor: God of Thunder by Aaron. I'm very protective of the character, and his entire storyline has been amazing, especially after Fractions disappointing run on the books. Which was super frustrating, because after Fractions run on X-men, I was super stoked for his shot at Thor.

Hickman's Avengers has been good, but as someone mentioned, its harder to read month to month as opposed to at once. Once the trades are out for his run, it will read much smoother. Lots of dialogue though.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #19
Dark-Flux
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Im currently reading and enjoying Captain America, Thor, Spider-man, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Punisher, Iron Fist, Black Widow and Elektra.

Im not sure why people always seem to be down on Remenders Cap. I mean i loved Brubakers run as much as the next guy but im still liking the sci-fi pulp-ness of Remenders version. Still, opinions and that i guess.

Thor in particular has been great and ive never cared for Thor.

Hawkeye has also been amazing but the delays have led to me trade waiting.

Ive also just started catching up on Uncanny Avengers and Hickmans avengers books which are all good. New Avengers in particular. Though i could definetitly see how theyd be a denser read in monthly installments. Though thas true for pretty much everything Hickman writes.
Dark-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #20
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post

Im not sure why people always seem to be down on Remenders Cap. I mean i loved Brubakers run as much as the next guy but im still liking the sci-fi pulp-ness of Remenders version. Still, opinions and that i guess.
I'll say this, I enjoyed the Dimension Z arc and thought it was an interesting change. The Nuke arc that followed I enjoyed less so. The Mr Bubble (or whatever his name is) arc I did not care for at all. And now we're at "Steve gets the SSS sucked out of him" which I feel is an unnecessary and most likely short term plot twist. I don't like Falcon taking over, would have preferred it revert to Bucky, but then I don't know that I'd like Steve and Bucky playing hot potato with the shield every so often. Can't we let everybody just be who they are and give them interesting challenges and exciting adventures??