Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
SunnyLee
Doodler and Pencil Scratcher.
ArtistProducer

What did I just do... ?? (Digital Doodles)

I just bought Sketchpad Pro for my iPad and a Wacom Bamboo stylus - and will actually be trying out some "digital sketching". Don't get me wrong, I'm not yet in the business of digital commissions - still love my paper... but I guess it was a moment of weakness. I am curious tho - to see how my doodles turn out. Have any of you guys gotten "digital commissions"? What are your thoughts on them? I mean, for the money a lot of people are paying - having something in your hands - i would think - versus something on your screen, is the way to go. I know Mark (Brooks) does digital commissions as does several others (now that they're cintiq'ed) - and they rarely draw on paper any more (except at cons). The lure of being able to alter your sketches real time and edit any mistakes without erasing is definitely attractive, but for me - it's still not "real" - i guess. And there's no "one of a kind"-ness to digital art. It literally becomes a print - right? A print that only you own, but still - it's kinda like a print...? I am so old school that I'll probably never go digital, but again, what do you guys think of the future of commissions? Will it be paper or digital? And would you go that way?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I am not a fan of the concept of digital commissions. As a collector they hold no value to me at all. If I were looking to develop a web site and needed graphics, etc. then I would see some value in going the digital route. So, I see commercial value but none for a collector IMHO.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Landroid
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I've gotten digital commissions for personal and commercial stuff. That's it. What would be the point otherwise?
Landroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

i think digital is helpful for artists and helps create some really cool looking pieces, but don't think they really fit well with most comic art collectors. there are some that like them, but if i can just right click and do a save as, don't really see the value in paying for that.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I think the artist will be losing money for himself. I am not going to pay big dollar for a digital commission when the artist can just send a copy to another person the next day. You lose the originality and collectibility of comic artwork. Not to say that it doesn't save on time and effort for putting out a book for the artist, I am sure it saves a lot of hassle, but for the collector, it is not so good.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Underdog07
Hercules

Not a fan of purchasing digital commissions or art
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
J-M-T
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Most I would pay for a print is $25
J-M-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Mean Green
Fantomah

I wouldn't purchase digital commissions either. I'd just wait for someone else to commission the artist, then right click and save

I believe artists won't turn around and "sell" the print to someone else (most at least, I would hope), but it's still not the same as holding the original piece of artwork in my hand and being able to see the pencils/brush strokes.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

ive commissioned 2 or 3 purely digital pieces.Good art is good art wether on paper or on my screen
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Sam
Hydra

It'd depend on if the artist in question even does paper commissions. If not, then if I want art by that particular artist it would HAVE to be a digital piece. Like Gerry said good art is good art regardless of how it was recorded.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote