Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 08-09-2020, 09:02 AM   #731
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
Thank you for the tip about the magic eraser SDguy.
No problem. Only reason I am aware is because I looked it up after someone warned me not to use it on starfire (low iron) glass used on aquariums. If it can scratch that, then yikes!
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:38 AM   #732
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
Brandon, if it really bothers you then I would see about getting a replacement. Did you get it from Tweeterhead directly or another vendor?
It was from another vendor (this is 1 of 3 of these I didn't get directly from TH) and that is a LONG return/exchange process, usually. I probably should have just left it alone since the way it originally looked was much more compelling for a return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
I would try just a regular pink eraser first. You don't want to use a magic eraser, as that will remove any top coat, and even paint, if you are not careful.
I'll give that a shot. I would have thought the magic eraser removed something since there is obviously a color transfer on the eraser. I am just not sure why I can't see any indication of paint loss/damage on the statue. My test dummy (original Superman) looks ok, too.

Edit - just tried the pink eraser. Whatever this is is pretty stubborn. The pink eraser is now orange, like the magic eraser. I really don't get why I can't see where I've erased if there is color transfer going on.

Not sure if it was already said or known, but the Regs are numbered, too. I think there may have been an impression that just the TH direct ones were numbered (at least, I thought that at some point). There are 587 regs out there, which really doesn't seem like a bad run for Starfire.
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #733
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
It was from another vendor (this is 1 of 3 of these I didn't get directly from TH) and that is a LONG return/exchange process, usually. I probably should have just left it alone since the way it originally looked was much more compelling for a return.

I'll give that a shot. I would have thought the magic eraser removed something since there is obviously a color transfer on the eraser. I am just not sure why I can't see any indication of paint loss/damage on the statue. My test dummy (original Superman) looks ok, too.

Not sure if it was already said or known, but the Regs are numbered, too. I think there may have been an impression that just the TH direct ones were numbered (at least, I thought that at some point). There are 587 regs out there, which really doesn't seem like a bad run for Starfire.
You may have been gentle enough. It's like using a chainsaw to pick some roses... it's possible
Old 08-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #734
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Brandon, if nothing is taking off the mark and if it is not noticeable while displaying I say just keep it. Having to ship it up and send it back and wait for a replacement to me would be a pain and who is to say that the retailer you purchased it from would have a replacement to send you.

One other thing if you could get the exact paint color possibly just painting over it. That would have to be something you would probably have to get from Chad.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #735
pdenham
Teen Titans

1) Any replacement you get could have it's own, other issues. That's always the dice roll with these things

2) as long as you own it, you always have the option or ability to have any issues remedied by a professional- from breakage to paint, it's just a matter of paying extra to have it fixed.

3) if you can display it comfortably, so any issues are out of sight, eventually they'll be out of mind too. May take a while, but eventually other matters will diminish their significance. Unless you have high grade OCD- and that's a whole 'nother concern.

4) It doesn't hurt to contact the retailer anyway and inquire about a replacement. Though with the distribution kinks from Covid, to the "just enough" ES that Tweeterhead settled on (it was originally intended to be 600 reg IIRC), even getting a one for one exchange may be a problem.

5) these are all concerns - if you like the piece enough .
Now that you have it in hand, and can see it up close, if you are honest with yourself and really only find it to be a "meh" in your collection- then it's not worth any of that other thought. Just send it back.

OTOH, if you still really do like it and it's clearly something you want in your "permanent" collection, then I would I would display to minimize those issues for the time being, and resolve to get it fixed "someday".
Color matching is tricky, and not something I would suggest amateurs tackle- but it can be done and that will always remain an option as long as you own it.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #736
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Thanks for the replies - I sent something to the retailer, just in case. They would have got it through Diamond, so I am not even sure if it's returnable for them at this point. Not that that should really be my problem - they do supposedly inspect these before they ship them, so whoever did it in this case must have thought it was acceptable (and like I mentioned, it did originally look worse than my pics, so if they inspected it we do have very different definitions of "acceptable").
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:05 AM   #737
PeachFuzz
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Just make sure when you sell it in the future that the smudge mark is noted in any description/condition comments. I'm sure you've heard the folktale of the woman whose husband died and she went to sell all of his limited high cost statues but some had been modified with all new paint or some fixed with touch-up paint or broken pieces fixed and she kept hearing back from all of the buyers who were pissed that the statue they purchased wasn't in original NM-Mint condition? The changes and touch-ups were all said to have been done professionally and looked fine but they weren't included in any description because she didn't know about them. The husband never made note of these changes/fix-ups on the box or bottom of the statue base so she had to deal with all of these returns. It is said she gave up and either sold them all as a lot and took a huge financial hit to just get rid of them or just watched the garbage man take them to the city dump. Resin Touch-Ups Matter.
PeachFuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #738
Y3E
Gen 13

I saw this at my LCS and wow. Thankfully, my waitlist converted too!
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #739
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
I saw this at my LCS and wow. Thankfully, my waitlist converted too!
congrats you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:37 PM   #740
Asgard
Deadman

At last got a shipping notice
It's supposed to be here at noon on Saturday.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote