Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #7651
Vince_be
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDO View Post
The impression I get when I see these people going on about accessories, switch out parts is they actually play with these things. They don't just put them on display like normal people. They are the weirdos who actually sit around playing with the statues and figures.
Normal people...weirdos...you're the weirdo guy judging people like that..who do you think you are ??
Vince_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #7652
WolverineFan
I am da law!

Quote:
The impression I get when I see these people going on about accessories, switch out parts is they actually play with these things. They don't just put them on display like normal people. They are the weirdos who actually sit around playing with the statues and figures.
I don’t think you can actually play with statues. It’s not like they have adjustable limbs and what not that rotate. Those are called action figures. I personally like the light up option and switch outs. It feels like you are getting your moneys worth for an already expensive statue. Now sure does the light you feature barely get used probably, but some characters benefit from it such as Iron Man, Superman’s heat vision, Sentinels, Cyclops eyes, etc
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #7653
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Sorry but I agree with COI, mostly I get these statues with switchouts and I pick the one I like the best and the other options sit in a box. For statues to have 6 switchout options is useless to me and I can't picture people constantly switching them out. For what? Light up features, the only one I have that I think is cool is Vader, and that's just because of the Lightsaber, because it's a 'light'saber. Otherwise I can do without it.

Give me amazing realistic looking sculpts and realistic looking paint and I'm good. That's getting your money's worth, not endless streams of hands and heads that you probably aren't going to use.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #7654
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Quote:
Most “normal” people, aka the general public, lump us together and consider us all weirdos whether we collect statues of comic book figures or whether we collect action figures of comic book figures. It’s all the same to them even though we don’t think so.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #7655
DPmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Sorry but I agree with COI, mostly I get these statues with switchouts and I pick the one I like the best and the other options sit in a box. For statues to have 6 switchout options is useless to me and I can't picture people constantly switching them out. For what? Light up features, the only one I have that I think is cool is Vader, and that's just because of the Lightsaber, because it's a 'light'saber. Otherwise I can do without it.

Give me amazing realistic looking sculpts and realistic looking paint and I'm good. That's getting your money's worth, not endless streams of hands and heads that you probably aren't going to use.
I’ll take the amazing sculpts and paint jobs but i’ll take the extra accessories if they are already there. Those accessories are icing on the cake to me.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #7656
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPmaster View Post
I’ll take the amazing sculpts and paint jobs but i’ll take the extra accessories if they are already there. Those accessories are icing on the cake to me.
Yeah, again though, do you actually switch things out that often? Do you really need 5 different hands?

As someone who does some sculpting I can also bring that perspective. I wouldn't mind doing say one different head because that can change the emotion of the piece from calm to whatever other emotion, but a bunch of different hands, that's down right tedious, makes me think of the Dana Carvey comedy skit on plastic toys.

Starts at about the 2min mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-AZy2W0qKg

Last edited by Josh-a-tron; 12-09-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #7657
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I like switch outs, especially portraits, but I'm completely with the rest of the people on light up features. Waste of resource, and if they ever fail, tanks the value of the piece.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #7658
DPmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Yeah, again though, do you actually switch things out that often? Do you really need 5 different hands?

As someone who does some sculpting I can also bring that perspective. I wouldn't mind doing say one different head because that can change the emotion of the piece from calm to whatever other emotion, but a bunch of different hands, that's down right tedious, makes me think of the Dana Carvey comedy skit on plastic toys.

Starts at about the 2min mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-AZy2W0qKg
Depends on the statue really. I do the switch outs for the P1 Deathstroke every few weeks. Sometimes the staff arm is displayed, sometimes the machine gun is displayed. The masked and unmasked heads get switched out fairly often. I also go back and forth with the sword and Batman mask hand EX.

Hey if I had the opportunity to have “just” a supermodel wife or a supermodel wife that can cook, shares my love for statues and exotic cars, and laughs at my lame jokes, I’m taking the latter.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #7659
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPmaster View Post
Real men don't accessorize.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #7660
ukshaun
Hercules

Other than Sideshow's Captain Marvel, who comes with 2 excellent portraits, i don't switch anything out.

Sideshow's Heath Ledger came with a switch out gun/circuit-board. I only display using the circuit board, as it's Joker nuts!

The Hot Toys Harley Quinn came with a ton of stuff - Jacket, Hammer, various hands, all of which remain in the box. Now that Harley has been set up, that's how she stays. Besides, removing the stuff will probably end up in breakages, paint removal etc.

As for light up features, i have a new approach - use until the batteries die, remove batteries. Leave it at that, battery-less.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote