Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #1651
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

I finally motivated myself and got some matting done today, 8 hours of it to be precise. All in all, I got 42 pictures matted. I finally had to stop as I ran out of backing board. In all honesty, my back feels like I got hit by a truck. I took a few pictures but they still weren't coming out all that great as I just don't have a lot of light upstairs. So tomorrow I am going to set up a couple Omni lights and actually shoot the rest of them with proper light. I will have them uploaded by tomorrow night, hopefully. Anyways, here are the first 10.

OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #1652
Cyber-Lip
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
How about letting people decide for themselves...regardless of what the reason may be.
because sometimes, people are just plain silly and need a reality check
Cyber-Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #1653
Cyber-Lip
Hydra

Quote:
Why is it money grabbing? Hmm?

Lets look at the edition sizes for the past Lady Mechanika prints (no particular order).

LM VIP print - Edition Size 25
Lady Mechanika #0 print - Edition size 100
LM #0 NYCC - Edition Size 100
LM #0 Blue Rainbow - Edition Size 100
LM #1 LBCC - Edition Size 100
LM #1 LBCC Campbell - Edition Size 100
LM #2 C2E2 - Edition Size 100
LM Wondercon - Edition Size 150
LM Emerald City Print - Edition size 100
LM 2010 SDCC - Edition Size 75
LM 2011 Dragon Con - Edition Size 100
LM 2011 Arizona CC - Edition Size 50
LM 2011 SDCC - Edition Size 100
LM 2011 NYCC - Edition Size 75
LM #2 Outlaw Ed. - Edition Size 200
LM 2012 Comikaze - Edition Size 150

Then in the last couple of weeks we have had

LM 2012 Las Vegas Sepia - Edition size 250
LM 2012 Saloon print - Edition Size 500

Sorry but the size of the Lady Mechanika print market did not just up and double or triple in the last 2-3 weeks. Actually looking at past prints, an edition size of roughly 100 looks to be the average so the market would have to increase by a factor of 5 to make an argument for edition sizes of 500. You might well believe such an increase occurred but I don't buy it for a second. I have been in this market long enough to know money grabbing when I see it and this is without question money grabbing. If you want to believe differently than by all means, have some more of that Aspen Kool-Aid.
That Saloon print seems to be a different sort of deal. Maybe one of the official Con prints that they sell at the official Con swag table. That's why it's a different size, different look, different es.
Cyber-Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #1654
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber-Lip View Post
because sometimes, people are just plain silly and need a reality check
Silly according to you, in regards to a subjective topic. Hmmm?

Whatever floats your boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber-Lip View Post
That Saloon print seems to be a different sort of deal. Maybe one of the official Con prints that they sell at the official Con swag table. That's why it's a different size, different look, different es.
Well, until someone is actually able to confirm an ulterior motive....well, I have already said everything that needs to be said on the matter. Since this was released in Las Vegas, ill go with Vegas terminology. My chips are on money grabbing.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #1655
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Now this is what I am talking about. Its still 11 x 17, but its edition size is only 25.

I am definitely emailing Joe about the 11 x 17 size issue. The difference in price between 13 x 19 and 11 x 17 is really insignificant. Other people who dislike the 11 x 17 size format should also email him. The more the better. He really needs to use the 13 x 19 format.

Sunnyscomics has 2 copies left on eBay right now.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #1656
toyzplz
Death is hereditary.

Cyber is right on Saloon Girl, that print was heavily available at the Con swag table. Don't be surprised to see a lot that are unsigned as they weren't pre signed by Joe.

Here's my only gripe with the new LM prints. The paperstock. They're not the same quality as the traditional Aspen prints (which I presume includes past LM prints as I don't have any of them). The Comikazee prints (the color versions as I don't know if the b/w posted above is the same but I would guess it is) and the Sepia print are on a VERY thin, adslick like gloss paper. Beautiful colors still, but the thinnest prints I've ever seen. The Saloon girl is nicer paperstock, it was done on the same, or similar, stock as the other show prints that were available at the swag booth and through different badges. An Eric Canete showgirl, a Herb Trimpe print that was given away with purchase because he wasn't able to attend, and a Simon Bisley print. The colors on Saloon Girl are VERY nice and look great in my opinion.
toyzplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #1657
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyzplz View Post
Cyber is right on Saloon Girl, that print was heavily available at the Con swag table. Don't be surprised to see a lot that are unsigned as they weren't pre signed by Joe.

Here's my only gripe with the new LM prints. The paperstock. They're not the same quality as the traditional Aspen prints (which I presume includes past LM prints as I don't have any of them). The Comikazee prints (the color versions as I don't know if the b/w posted above is the same but I would guess it is) and the Sepia print are on a VERY thin, adslick like gloss paper. Beautiful colors still, but the thinnest prints I've ever seen. The Saloon girl is nicer paperstock, it was done on the same, or similar, stock as the other show prints that were available at the swag booth and through different badges. An Eric Canete showgirl, a Herb Trimpe print that was given away with purchase because he wasn't able to attend, and a Simon Bisley print. The colors on Saloon Girl are VERY nice and look great in my opinion.
Well, Aspen does all of their printing in house so I am betting the different paper stock is coming from outsourcing the work to a printing lab, for whatever reason. Could be time constraints or could be that Joe prefers 11 x 17 and a heavier stock. Who knows.

I vastly prefer Aspen's prints myself. They may not be a higher quality stock but aesthetically they are much nicer, at least in my opinion. The Epson UltraChrome inks really are amazing, especially with the right papers. I recently printed some scans I made of some Platinum prints. I used a batch of Washi paper (homemade Japanese paper) that my freind told me about, and the results were nothing short of mind blowing. Oh well, I guess each artist has thier preferences, just as the collectors do.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #1658
toyzplz
Death is hereditary.

OC, flip that around I'm afraid you read my last post in the opposite fashion.

Aspen's prints are WAY higher quality than the aforementioned LM prints that Joe has done (Kamikaze & Sepia).

As an overall observation of companies that do prints, Aspen is right up there for 1 of the best in quality. Zenescope does some nice stuff, J. Scott Campbell uses a nice paper with great color. Mark Brooks is pretty good too. Ebas is good.

Size, 11x17, 13x19, etc. That's all as subjective as edition numbers in my opinion. But quality is the most important regardless.

Loved your matte jobs btw they look awesome!
toyzplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:57 AM   #1659
Adoptedscot
A day without sunshine is like... night.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renketsu View Post
Just spotted this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHAEL-TURN...item35c044e2b8

Good price and rare print - figured someone here would appreciate the heads up.
That is a great deal (hi buddy), I hope someone here got it!
x

Removed the Drama to get the thread going again.

Quote:
I finally motivated myself and got some matting done today, 8 hours of it to be precise. All in all, I got 42 pictures matted. I finally had to stop as I ran out of backing board. In all honesty, my back feels like I got hit by a truck. I took a few pictures but they still weren't coming out all that great as I just don't have a lot of light upstairs. So tomorrow I am going to set up a couple Omni lights and actually shoot the rest of them with proper light. I will have them uploaded by tomorrow night, hopefully. Anyways, here are the first 10.

Damn I wish I knew how to do stuff like that, or that I was physically able to because they all look fantastic!. Nice work!.

The Soulfire print is my favourite of the ones you've posted.
That particular print has always been one of my favourites and it just looks awesome like that.....I wants it, lets swap....gimme gimme
x

Anyway, back to lurking I go
x
Adoptedscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:09 AM   #1660
Adoptedscot
A day without sunshine is like... night.
Adamantium Plus Member

I forgot to ask, does anyone know if sunnyscomics168 ships Internationally please?
I'm in the UK and have never bought from them before.
Their listing states US only even though in their text it states for 'foreign orders' to contact them, so I'm not sure and they havn't replied to my message.

Thanks for your help.
x
Adoptedscot is offline   Reply With Quote