Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
Emperor
Birdman

Hey Born, what kind of glue did you use for the claws? My Vega has one broken claw that I can't get to stay in place.
Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
BornFreeSF
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
Hey Born, what kind of glue did you use for the claws? My Vega has one broken claw that I can't get to stay in place.
Sideshow's favourite suggestion! "Zap-a-gap" I love it! It glues completely clear, and fast.
BornFreeSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
BornFreeSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
It looks like there has been improvement...but like you said you may need to do a little more...try straightening out his pants where the wrinkles are around his knees to get a better look at the straightening process...
Thanks Ricky.

I did a little more work just now. The sculpt is so intentionally twisted and arched that it's a little difficult to tell when the statue is considered straight.

Can you tell me what I should be looking for? For instance should his neck be vertical? Should his back leg (right leg) be vertical? Are there any easy signs?
What direction should I be looking at him from?

I looked on the PCS website in the "shop" section. Bizarrely the Reg Vega and EX Vega look straight but the Green Vega looks to have a lean lol!!! Even the promotional shots hahahah
Old 06-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Sorry i never replied to the PM on the claws.

metal is hard to do, cause if you don't have the proper metal and tools to buff and shine it won't look good.

THere is stuff called white metal that a lot of statues use and the stuff is very bendable, but have to metal it and pour it into a casting to get the shape you want.

Best thing i could say is sculpt the claws out of Aves or some other sculpting material, attach them on and then repaint it to metal.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
BornFreeSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Sorry i never replied to the PM on the claws.

metal is hard to do, cause if you don't have the proper metal and tools to buff and shine it won't look good.

THere is stuff called white metal that a lot of statues use and the stuff is very bendable, but have to metal it and pour it into a casting to get the shape you want.

Best thing i could say is sculpt the claws out of Aves or some other sculpting material, attach them on and then repaint it to metal.
Thanks Vince. Is there anything that I can coat the current claws with to strengthen them? And then paint over the top?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #16
Ricky Bobby
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornFreeSF View Post
Thanks Ricky.

I did a little more work just now. The sculpt is so intentionally twisted and arched that it's a little difficult to tell when the statue is considered straight.

Can you tell me what I should be looking for? For instance should his neck be vertical? Should his back leg (right leg) be vertical? Are there any easy signs?
What direction should I be looking at him from?

I looked on the PCS website in the "shop" section. Bizarrely the Reg Vega and EX Vega look straight but the Green Vega looks to have a lean lol!!! Even the promotional shots hahahah
Yes with the sculpt being the way it is,it does make it hard to tell on some angles which way is straight.His neck will be vertically angled a bit,thats just the way it is with that pose...its kinda hard to say exactly what or which way is straight without it being in front of me,unfortunatley i have put mine away for the summer to prevent the lean issue due to the warmer climate,so i cant really say much more right now,however if you take a look at a couple pics of mine in the SF pics thread 5 to 10 pages back,there two shots,one close up of my green Vega and that should help you get an idea of how he should look from a front view shot...luckily i dont have any lean issues on him.I hope that gives you some idea of how it should be
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #17
BornFreeSF

OK this bad boy is straight! In the process of getting the claws perfected :-) mint 'grail' here we come hahaha!

Thanks for your help guys.

If anyone has any tips on the claws I'd love to hear them. I have two routes:

1. Coat the claws in something that will strengthen the claws, then repaint the blades silver.

2. Get the claw/blades replaced.

Any advice would be great!

Cheers
Mark

Old 06-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #18
Ricky Bobby
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Get them replaced..might as well for this piece...btw he looks straight now,nice job
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote