Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

Canon Powershot digicam recommendation needed!

Hi Gang,

We're in the market to buy a new digital camera. Up until now, we've been using the Canon Powershot A550 (7.1 mp). We've been using this camera for a couple of years now to take family pics and videos. Of course, I also use this camera to take lots of pics of statues to share with you guys.

I think it's time for an upgrade. My statue pics, for example, are starting to look lackluster next to whatever cameras some of you guys are using these days to take pics. Unfortunately, there appear to be so many different Canon powershot digital cameras in the 10-12 megapixels range, and the prices seem to be all over the place. I also can't really tell the difference between them. It's to the point where I feel I might be paying more for fancy features that I'll likely never use.

As noted above, my needs are relatively simple. Can anyone make some Canon powershot suggestions? The Canon models seem really easy to find and are relatively cheap too.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
dr_teng

I've recommended this one to a bunch of my friends and they've been really happy with it : Canon PowerShot SD780IS

HD video too, for those family videos.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Get the Powershot G11. It's a fantastic little camera.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:47 AM   #4
insomniac
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
Get the Powershot G11. It's a fantastic little camera.
The G11 is a fantastic little point and shoot. It is on the pricey side. It comes close to the price of a DSLR. With the release of the Canon T2i you can almost pick up a T1i for the same price as a G11.
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

Thanks for the ideas, guys! Keep 'em coming.

However, here is where things get a bit confusing for me... The G11 is a 10 megapixel digicam. The SD780IS is a 12 megapixel digicam with HD vid component, yet it sells for less than half of the G11. What is all that extra money going towards? How will I see the difference in the pics?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
dr_teng

The G11 is basically a SLR-lite, the one I recommended is an actual compact.

The difference in megapixels between 10-12 is negligable. The G11 gives you some benefits like a great lens that goes wider angle, zooms in further, allows attachments like a proper external flash, etc...

My problem with it is similar to what Insomniac said, it's close to SLR price ranges at that point.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
Saturday_Knight_Surfer
U talkin' to me?

A great lens and 10 MPix will always be better than 12 or more Mpix and a poor lens.
If size is not a problem, a digital SLR will always be the best choice. You can even discover new possibilities. And what makes the difference : the ability to change lenses.
The G11 is a good choice if you prefer all-in-one cameras and if like to keep control on the pics you take.
The Powershot S90 is also a good choice with the ability to control some parameters.
If you're using the all auto modes, consider buying an Ixus or a more "amateur" Powershot.
Saturday_Knight_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
I've recommended this one to a bunch of my friends and they've been really happy with it : Canon PowerShot SD780IS

HD video too, for those family videos.

I put some feelers out and this seems to be an excellent point and shoot camera. Thanks!