Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 08-08-2022, 04:13 PM   #3251
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
If the factory doesn't nail the paint apps on this, I'll probably nab the SWS maquette and get it repainted/re-netted. Been going for too long without a Jungle Hunter in my collection and, let's be honest, a 1/4 maquette would be so much simpler to display/transport.

This 1/3 needs to be a home run, otherwise it's not happening. I'm out after the first sign of flaking paint.
If I end up passing on this, and I likely will simply because I won't be able to afford it, I would probably turn my sights back to hunting down the Cinemaquette one day. The Sideshow SWS Maquette never did anything for me. I did notice what appeared to be a lot of recasts of the Cinemaquette last time I checked eBay unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddlysober View Post
The unmasked feral predator reminded me of those inbred psychos form the movie Wrong Turn. The biomask looked cool and the bear fight scene was entertaining.
I just looked that up. You're right.

Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:17 PM   #3252
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Wasn't aware that the Predator from Prey was a different breed, so my bad i guess..... [but this Predator looks a lot like what the Predator was supposed to look like in the original 1987 Predator movie[when Jean Claude Van Damme was going to play the Predator, before Stan Winston came up with the design for the Jungle Hunter and Kevin Peter Hall ended up being cast in the role of the Predator].
jinkazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:23 PM   #3253
Xenoburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkazama View Post
Wasn't aware that the Predator from Prey was a different breed, so my bad i guess..... [but this Predator looks a lot like what the Predator was supposed to look like in the original 1987 Predator movie[when Jean Claude Van Damme was going to play the Predator, before Stan Winston came up with the design for the Jungle Hunter and Kevin Peter Hall ended up being cast in the role of the Predator].
I do see the resemblance. If that was what they were going for, they should have known better. That design was scrapped for a reason.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:28 PM   #3254
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoburger View Post
I do see the resemblance. If that was what they were going for, they should have known better. That design was scrapped for a reason.
From what i read, it was VERY uncomfortable for Van Damme while in the suit, because Van Damme's head was in the Predator's neck area, and he apparently had to wear stilts while in the suit also......
jinkazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:42 PM   #3255
Blade3327
Nightwing

The Van Damme suit looks like a completely different type of creature.

Having that said, yeah, still a poor design.

Quote:
If I end up passing on this, and I likely will simply because I won't be able to afford it, I would probably turn my sights back to hunting down the Cinemaquette one day. [b]The Sideshow SWS Maquette never did anything for me./b] I did notice what appeared to be a lot of recasts of the Cinemaquette last time I checked eBay unfortunately.
Is it the pose?
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:08 PM   #3256
Dundee
Hydra

Not a fan of the new pred design. Movie is average at best, the last battle scene was terrible, I would have given it a 7/10 but last scene brings it down to 5. Way too many inconsistencies:

1. Ripping off a mandible with her bare hands (a creature with skin as tough as kevlar and bone as strong as bricks).
2. Held down by the neck and managed to kick herself to safety behind the rocks. A preds grip can lift Arnie and adding downward gravity, no way she was going to kick her way out.
3. She places the mask at the EXACT height to level off the aim to the preds head! Also no way a pred would not have heard or noticed the aiming reticle, predators have highly acute peripheral perceptions.
4. The projector went almost 360, and bounced off every tree, shrub, plant and NEVER got embedded.
5. Got whacked in the face and got up like nothing happened.
5. Many other things if I were to watch that scene again. I get what they were trying to go for but the scene was too far fetch.

Also many 'fans' believe the pred tech had not evolved, hence the 'low tech' gear. Incorrect, pred tech had always been there but the gear adjusted to the level of his preys weaponry.

Lastly, fan comments about pred evolved over a 300 year period hence looks different. OMFG, even over a period of 30000 years evolution would be very minimal. Seriously are people getting dumber by the day?

I'd argue this movies last fight scene ranks second last from the films (predator 2018 being on the bottom). Shame the ending couldn't bring it home.
Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:44 PM   #3257
Danii99
Birdman

Solid 8.5/10 film, loved the interpretation of the Predator actually showing it learning & combating Earths apex predators. I agree the final fight could have been better.
Danii99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:48 PM   #3258
Danii99
Birdman

Quote:
I loved the film, and the only complaint I have is the feral predator's maskless face. I was shocked to see people on AvPGalaxy praising it and saying it looked "good" or "great". This was easily the most hideous, generic, unimaginative, unappealing predator facial design we have ever seen. By miles. There are some predator head designs that don't look great (Mr. Black, Scar), but this is the first one I've seen that is so far away from what the predator actually is that it might as well be a random CGI movie monster. This is the first one I've disliked so much that I feel disgusted and honestly offended when I see it.

With that being said, I thought the overall predator design was solid and I would gladly own a statue of it (without ever displaying the unmasked head). The armor, the skin texture, the weaponry, the colors & patterns - all well-designed in my opinion. I will say that the elongated giraffe neck did not work for me (nor should it have been a thing in the first place), but I can get over that.
I agree, I personally love the Feral Predator design except for the face.
Danii99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:03 PM   #3259
VILE GUILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
Not a fan of the new pred design. Movie is average at best, the last battle scene was terrible, I would have given it a 7/10 but last scene brings it down to 5. Way too many inconsistencies:

1. Ripping off a mandible with her bare hands (a creature with skin as tough as kevlar and bone as strong as bricks).
2. Held down by the neck and managed to kick herself to safety behind the rocks. A preds grip can lift Arnie and adding downward gravity, no way she was going to kick her way out.
3. She places the mask at the EXACT height to level off the aim to the preds head! Also no way a pred would not have heard or noticed the aiming reticle, predators have highly acute peripheral perceptions.
4. The projector went almost 360, and bounced off every tree, shrub, plant and NEVER got embedded.
5. Got whacked in the face and got up like nothing happened.
5. Many other things if I were to watch that scene again. I get what they were trying to go for but the scene was too far fetch.

You think just like me when it comes to movies. Lol... First of all, the marketing was so terrible from the start, I was immediately turned off and said I'm not watching this. They were saying the movie will break gender norms and all that typical crap these days. Just like they did with the last Terminator I had to pass on.

I haven't seen it yet, heard just now it was actually good, but after reading what you said, I can tell it will be a let down for me like I knew it would. When they do unrealistic fighting scenes to prop up the strong woman characters, it ruins the movie for me. Besides, what's up with his face? His mandibles are all underdeveloped looking and his mouth is huge... I'm not digging the look either.
VILE GUILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:23 PM   #3260
Dundee
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILE GUILE View Post
You think just like me when it comes to movies. Lol... First of all, the marketing was so terrible from the start, I was immediately turned off and said I'm not watching this. They were saying the movie will break gender norms and all that typical crap these days. Just like they did with the last Terminator I had to pass on.

I haven't seen it yet, heard just now it was actually good, but after reading what you said, I can tell it will be a let down for me like I knew it would. When they do unrealistic fighting scenes to prop up the strong woman characters, it ruins the movie for me. Besides, what's up with his face? His mandibles are all underdeveloped looking and his mouth is huge... I'm not digging the look either.
Still watch it, it's got some gem moments. But man that last scene is such a total let down.

I can suspend enough belief and tank some stupidity in movies but there is a fine line between that and nonsense bs. I shouldn't have expected too much, I mean we got a little lady choking the Rev-9 lol.

It really is a shame and once people come off their highs, that last scene will not age well over time.

I can say at least 80% of people are 8/10 satisfied which tells me it won't get much better than this :-(
Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote