Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > Mike Hill

Old 04-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #81
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothiken View Post
Mike,

there was a rumor that ya might be goin
to Wonderfest this year... is this true?
and if so will u have any kits available

thanks
Kenny

Yup I'll be there.I'll have something
Mike Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #82
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilNinjaChris View Post
Hey Mike,
any advice on getting your name out there? aside from having a portfolio in line and the talent to do the job, what's the best way to pursue the dream? do you just kind of say "hey guys check this out."? and send in some work. or do THEY usually come to YOU.

Also, I know everyone is different preference wise when it comes to tools but I was wondering if you might have a picture or 5-10 or more tools you can't live without for sculpting.

thanks for your time and all the inspiration that you have given us fellow sculptors.

ENC, well you have the best tool right in front of you,the internet.In my day.. ..we had send out pictures and portfolios.

I still have to find work some of the time.

My advice is do one killer,kick ass piece rather than too many bland ones.

I dont have 5 tools! I use a dental tool,two loops and a large scraper.

MH
Old 04-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #83
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

Oh and various brushes.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 PM   #84
albeeman
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post
Yup I'll be there.I'll have something
And another reason to go to Wonderfest.. MIKE HILL will be there!
albeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #85
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Mike have you any more projects on with Sideshow?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #86
Darth_Ryan
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Yeah I would love to have another MH 1:1 sideshow bust. =)

The Venom and Ardeth Bey are highly sought after. Classics! I am still hunting for the SSE Ardeth..it's gonna take a long time before I get one for sure. It's been very elusive.
Darth_Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #87
red-kal
A day without sunshine is like... night.

thanks so much for answering my questions mike
red-kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #88
Seth Vandable
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post
Good question, probably a Pierce Brosnan I did.

Its probably been replaced now by an updated,better version.

which brings me to another point.I read a lot on these forums and the net about "this bust being better than than bust,or this being a better likeness than that one".

A lot of these things are about timing. If I chose to do a head today of say ..Tobey Maguire ,it has nothing to be compared to so its just a work of art.
But if the next sculptor comes along and decides to do one he now has a level to compare,to surpass.It will inevitably be a tighter rendition because now he knows he will be judged(of course thats assuming they are both on the same skill level).He now has the advantage plus hes seen the other guys piece,which means additional reference.

So when a new version comes along ,assuming its on a commercial basis, it SHOULD be an improvement.if it aint,then why bother?

Also I dont usually keep rehashing the same character over and over to get it 100%,when Ive done it,its done. I usually see things I could improve but thats what makes an artist. i prefer to move on or else I would go insane.

Best post I've read in a long time!....
First of all, I want to say that You are a fantastic sculptor. Someone may sculpt a tighter interpretation of a figure, but that does not make it better. The current trend of hyper detailing (skin pores etc..) is a result of this hobbies obsession with modeling details. Modeling and sculpting are very different.
Absolute realism is a copy of nature and can be accomplished by any number of talented modelors. Anything can be measured and duplicated if given enough time and man hours. Good representational sculpting (art) is bringing to light the hidden life in the subject. It is dynamic and original and should show the viewer something beyond what they can observe in the natural world. Mike, you can do it all in my opinion!
I recently attended an exhibition of Ron Muecks work. He is actually a whole team of accomplished modelors doing the same thing that many other less self promoting artists have been doing for decades. The reaction to the work is the same as one would hear in a wax museum, " it looks so real" or "now that's really creepy"! This kind of modeling draws all the attention to the process in a "how did they do that"? kind of way, but never resonates as a work of inspiration. Please dont get me wrong...it is amazing and requires very talented detail oriented craftsmen to achieve.
Art however,turned the corner with a single portrait...Rodins Balzac...and has never looked back. He accomplished more with less than seemingly anyone else had ever done before. What few people know is that Rodin was actually knocking off an unknown contemporary of his...a young genius named Medardo Rosso.
Please Google his name and check out what I think are some of the most powerful works of portraiture ever created. Art history is just catching up with him and his impact on Rodin and by extension all figurative art since. I am sure most statue collectors would be quick to dismiss this work as unfinished.
Anyway, bravo to you Mike and all of your amazing work!
Seth Vandable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #89
hulkpitt
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

This is a grate thread, I checked out Medardo Rosso and Rodin's Balzac, very interesting stuff, I will read up more on this when I get away from work.
hulkpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #90
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Vandable View Post
Best post I've read in a long time!....
First of all, I want to say that You are a fantastic sculptor. Someone may sculpt a tighter interpretation of a figure, but that does not make it better. The current trend of hyper detailing (skin pores etc..) is a result of this hobbies obsession with modeling details. Modeling and sculpting are very different.
Absolute realism is a copy of nature and can be accomplished by any number of talented modelors. Anything can be measured and duplicated if given enough time and man hours. Good representational sculpting (art) is bringing to light the hidden life in the subject. It is dynamic and original and should show the viewer something beyond what they can observe in the natural world. Mike, you can do it all in my opinion!
I recently attended an exhibition of Ron Muecks work. He is actually a whole team of accomplished modelors doing the same thing that many other less self promoting artists have been doing for decades. The reaction to the work is the same as one would hear in a wax museum, " it looks so real" or "now that's really creepy"! This kind of modeling draws all the attention to the process in a "how did they do that"? kind of way, but never resonates as a work of inspiration. Please dont get me wrong...it is amazing and requires very talented detail oriented craftsmen to achieve.
Art however,turned the corner with a single portrait...Rodins Balzac...and has never looked back. He accomplished more with less than seemingly anyone else had ever done before. What few people know is that Rodin was actually knocking off an unknown contemporary of his...a young genius named Medardo Rosso.
Please Google his name and check out what I think are some of the most powerful works of portraiture ever created. Art history is just catching up with him and his impact on Rodin and by extension all figurative art since. I am sure most statue collectors would be quick to dismiss this work as unfinished.
Anyway, bravo to you Mike and all of your amazing work!
Thanks for the kind words and as for the rest of your post...

Couldnt of said it better myself!

I have several pieces that I was sculpting as collectable kits and busts that I just didnt finish.The reason being I already had the likeness ,expression and movement and couldnt bring myself to work on the shoes laces and details etc,my artistic hunger had been fed by that point.

I think model kits are the hardest thing to sculpt. Because the modeller picks up every individual piece,and examines it very closely.

If a prepaint or a finished bust falls short(in the sculpt) its harder to see because you are looking at the whole,not individual pieces.

MH