Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 12-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #11
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Really interested in this. I´m looking for a Superman for a long time now and was considering the Prime 1 Hush Superman, but after seeing the full reveal, I didn´t like it very much, and this one by IS will be far cheaper for me. Here is hoping the prototype is already painted at CCXP.
Jesse Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #12
gearhead
The Herculoids

I'm also gonna be watching this one. Prime 1 Superman was a total let down so hopefully this one will do the trick. I like that his face has that classic Superman look, at least in the concept art. Prime 1 looks like the Punisher to me, and definitely not like Lee's work.
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #13
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

I like the P1 Supes, but I'm also looking forward to seeing this. I love Ivan Reis's comic work, but the IS statue artworks so far have had some awkward elements (such the Batman's arm positioning, which IMO only looks good with that uncharacteristically lethal looking giant batarang, which I'd otherwise never display) almost as if they were drawn after the concepts had been finalized, much like how many criticized Sideshow's Supergirl PF for not looking like Artgerm's artwork, resulting in Sideshow rushing to commission Artgerm to draw a Supergirl print matching the statue's pose and facial structure.

Sorry to but I mentioned that as a means of complimenting this Superman concept, which looks as organic as it is dynamic, probably Reis's best work for IS since the 1:10 Aquaman or the 1:6 Supes vs. Doomsday diorama.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:06 PM   #14
nearmint
Phoenix

Wasn’t this supposed to be revealed today?
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #15
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
I like the P1 Supes, but I'm also looking forward to seeing this. I love Ivan Reis's comic work, but the IS statue artworks so far have had some awkward elements (such the Batman's arm positioning, which IMO only looks good with that uncharacteristically lethal looking giant batarang, which I'd otherwise never display) almost as if they were drawn after the concepts had been finalized, much like how many criticized Sideshow's Supergirl PF for not looking like Artgerm's artwork, resulting in Sideshow rushing to commission Artgerm to draw a Supergirl print matching the statue's pose and facial structure.

Sorry to but I mentioned that as a means of complimenting this Superman concept, which looks as organic as it is dynamic, probably Reis's best work for IS since the 1:10 Aquaman or the 1:6 Supes vs. Doomsday diorama.
Yeah, I also like the Prime 1 Superman, but I don´t love it. And considering how much a Prime 1 statue costs for me over here, liking is just not enough. I also agree with Batman. The sculp is really good and I really love the base, but I don´t feel his pose is organic and sometimes looks a little awkward.

I´m curious about what they will do with the DC 1/3 scale license after Superman is done, if they will make more characters or focus on other licenses/scales. Personally, a Reis Aquaman in 1/4 or 1/3 scale would be one of my biggest grails.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #16
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Wasn’t this supposed to be revealed today?
I thought so too, but it looks like they just showed the concept art today. I think we will see him only on wednesday, which is when comic con starts. Have no idea if he will be painted though.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #17
slynger
Hellboy

If they hold true to the art that has been shown, then I will take the P1 piece by a wide margin. Not a fan of the New 52 designs at all and it looks to have some of this design incorporated into it. Also, that base is very uninspired.

I have IS 1/4 scale Vader and think it's a great piece, probably the best Vader I've seen done. Was really hoping they did something special for Supes, but I just don't see it in that concept art.
slynger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #18
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
Yeah, I also like the Prime 1 Superman, but I don´t love it. And considering how much a Prime 1 statue costs for me over here, liking is just not enough. I also agree with Batman. The sculp is really good and I really love the base, but I don´t feel his pose is organic and sometimes looks a little awkward.

I´m curious about what they will do with the DC 1/3 scale license after Superman is done, if they will make more characters or focus on other licenses/scales. Personally, a Reis Aquaman in 1/4 or 1/3 scale would be one of my biggest grails.
No doubt. Reis had an epic Green Lantern run, but he was born to draw Aquaman. I would love to see either.

That said, my first prayer to the statue gods involves IS changing their minds about the keeping the non-helmeted Wonder Woman head sculpt exclusive.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #19
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynger View Post
If they hold true to the art that has been shown, then I will take the P1 piece by a wide margin. Not a fan of the New 52 designs at all and it looks to have some of this design incorporated into it. Also, that base is very uninspired.

I have IS 1/4 scale Vader and think it's a great piece, probably the best Vader I've seen done. Was really hoping they did something special for Supes, but I just don't see it in that concept art.
My love for IS varies between lines (engineering issues with the smaller pieces I have and, while I never owned Spider-Man, the paint issues at least were apparent on that first 1:4 comic piece from in-hand photos) but I applaud their ambition on all of them.

Vader is magnificent, I'm beyond happy to report (love mine) but they were working very closely with tangible source material, whereas their non-movie pieces are based on drawings. They have more room to fail, but that Punisher leads me to believe the company-wide crisis reports that ballooned from the aforementioned Spidey were great exaggerated.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #20
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
No doubt. Reis had an epic Green Lantern run, but he was born to draw Aquaman. I would love to see either.

That said, my first prayer to the statue gods involves IS changing their minds about the keeping the non-helmeted Wonder Woman head sculpt exclusive.
Hal Jordan would also be great! But I have my doubts that they will go beyond the Trinity with this line, at least for now.