Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #731
Augen
Metal Men

I don't know if there is a right or wrong way to go about a hobby.

I will say, keeping it enjoyable is critical for the collector. If space or funds become a stress point evaluating a collection and adjusting can be a healthy way to deal with it.

Personally limiting my possible statues to a theme and then sub set themes has kept me from buying dozens of pieces and focused on what I enjoy. Still may be too many for some, but I'm not broke and I have space so for now it is fine.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #732
bonedaddy77
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Prime 1 is selling a 1/4 scale God of War statue for $1200 plus shipping of about $100. Sideshow posts a relatively simple 1/4 scale Mr Freeze PF at $700. I'm seriously about done with the hobby.

Sold of a ton of stuff and don't miss it at all. Just going to try and stay focused on my themes and wait for second hand deals. Have no POs anywhere and feels good.
bonedaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #733
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedaddy77 View Post
Prime 1 is selling a 1/4 scale God of War statue for $1200 plus shipping of about $100. Sideshow posts a relatively simple 1/4 scale Mr Freeze PF at $700. I'm seriously about done with the hobby.

Sold of a ton of stuff and don't miss it at all. Just going to try and stay focused on my themes and wait for second hand deals. Have no POs anywhere and feels good.
The P1 is pricey, but probably because of all the tattoos that have to be painted. Extreme details that blow away anything SSC is doing. Plus it will go on sale if the price is too salty for most collectors.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #734
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedaddy77 View Post

Back a few years it's 300-350.00 a pf. SO no big deal to collect it all. But now 1200-2000.00 a pf? Just a few of these is a new car that can be used daily, or a new lap top instead of one of these. Lol But hey best is to get both.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:14 AM   #735
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000 View Post
Some people have collections of 40, 50, 60+ pieces, and I always wonder if they genuinely love all of these characters equally--or equally enough to justify the cost of the collection.
I had 250+ at the height of my collecting phase as a completist of Street Fighters, DC and Marvel and I can tell you it is absolutely as you described. All that was left of the initial enjoyment of the hobby was to make sure that I have everything. It’s a weird feeling when you got 50+ statues in PO that still have to be payed or (for PCS) you already payed multiple 1000 USD upfront lol. The statues themselves and their quality was not that important anymore. Unboxing was no fun anymore and I did not love all of them anymore. To be honest it did not look good either, just a lot of statues next to each other (visitors loved it though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000 View Post
And, would a collection of simply 10 - 12 of your absolute favorite characters/pieces that you impeccably displayed been just as satisfying?
I cut back to the characters I really love and now I have about 20 PF’s left and am missing only Flash, a classic Iron Man to replace the Mark III Maquette and a well done Juggernaut. I buy some others from time to time because I enjoy how they look like or those that impress me like the new Dejah Thoris, but usually after some time I lose interest and sell them again (for a loss of course) to free the spot for a new statue. The main spots are fixed and can only be replaced by a better statue of the same character.

Chris
equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:11 AM   #736
craigcliff1
Zot

I had 150 statues, was so awesome for about 10 years then 2015 or so just started to lose it's excitement. Part I would think was had collected so long, then buying less pieces less excitement, then rise in how much we pay for statues and shipping, then crummy resell. So it's slowly gotten to be way less. Now just sell off my statues pick up the pieces I want then bail. We need to get more and more pieces to feed the desire, but when we get less and less the desire starts lower a lot. Part of what was great about resell and getting what you paid or make money was you could feed to desire, but now you either mostly lose 1/2 what you paid or just keep it. So you run out of room and money or lose lots of money, either one starts to make you dislike collecting
craigcliff1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:53 AM   #737
Agent_J.Warren
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
Adamantium Member

This thread is a major buzz kill, but I totally get it lol. I finally built my display a few weeks back (took forever), but I do have a little resentment toward my statues if I'm in a volatile mood.

I see where you guys are coming from.

I look at it this way...I expect no profit from my investment, and once my 8.5ft by 12ft display is full, I'm done haha. Else I'd be totally crazy and angry, and couldn't enjoy my statues.
Agent_J.Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:49 AM   #738
craigcliff1
Zot

Yes I don't get it myself. I have enjoyed surfing as much now as I did in 81. Skydiving, snowboarding been doing those for about 30 years and love those. They are not cheap and can't imagine how much I have spent on them, but statues just gets you so upset, don't know why though. Has to be how much statues and shipping have gone up, then crummy resell, then once I get a piece I am bored with that statue. Because they were so cheap and once could get what you paid makes you mad that they aren't cheap anymore and you can't resell for as much. then you think about I shouldn't have bought these, then collectors like me get bored so easy we need another statue to feed the desire. Also the excitement for me is waiting to find out if a piece is getting made, then teaser, PO, then wait for it to ship, then getting. For me they can take years to ship, I like it that way.
craigcliff1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #739
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I don't understand statue collectors
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #740
Vic Viper
Fantastic Four

Moderation is key, too much of anything is no good in life.

When a hobby becomes a burden that weights you down, you know it's time to let go.
Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote