Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 06-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #61
Arkalogik
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Better than the Chinese getting ahold of an older ststue and recasting it.
Some people seem to be confused about exactly what the true definition of a recast means.

A recast by definition is when someone makes their own mold off another companies statue and then sells it as their own without the permission of the original maker of the statue and I am insulted that anyone would call what I do re-casting. If I was a recaster I would be selling all of ARH studios Frazetta statues and I do not because ARH no longer holds the license to these characters and neither do I so I do not sell them. If I did then it would be a recast and trust me I have had many many people ask I could make a lot of money off those statues but I will only sell things I have permission to sell.

I am officially licensed to sell ARH products that Arahom owns the rights to and I have written permission to sell unpainted resin kits from the original molds. I do not need anyone's permission to paint any statue I want for any price I want to charge just like all of you can do.

Anyone could by a kit and then paint it and sell it for a profit! This is what is awesome about the resin kit market! It allows artists to make a living building and painting statues for people who are not artistic or do not have the time to build and paint statues themselves.

Many people within the collectible market are not satisfied with mass produced polyester resin statues painted by an assembly line of low paid Chinese labor. They want a custom one of a kind paint job that is different from everyone else and they could care less what number it is. They want the highest quality representation of art and want the best. They are in it for the art...not to just have a limited number of something that no one else can have.

ARH will continue to licence out their characters to be made into products by all kinds of companies so get used to it. Just like the action figures now being produced by TBL league. Their Arkhalla action figure is the top selling product in their line up and they now have licensed 13 statues from ARH Studios to make into action figures.

Other people are interested in creating role playing games, video games, Manga version figures, full bronze statues, and many more possibilities!

I plan on possibly re-releasing many of the famous ARH characters in a smaller scale and other companies may re-release these same characters as pre-painted statues under their own name with their own factories and painters creating their own versions of Arkhalla and Arhian and all of ARH's original characters.
Arkalogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:38 PM   #62
Arkalogik
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I seriously doubt ARH had the need for licenses on Cleopatra, Minataur, Athena, etc. so how could they be recasts or unlicensed pieces?
You are exactly correct. ARH did not need to buy a license from anyone to create their own version of an historical or or mythological character because no one owns the rights to these things.

On the other hand if I were to make a mold of those characters that Arahom created and then sell them then that would still be considered a recast even if it was never an officially licensed character because it is not my sculpture and I did not have permission to take their sculpture and sell it. A recast is a recast regardless of whether it was ever a licensed character or not. The difference with me is that I am officially licensed and have written permission to sell ARH Studios kits. If I did not have permission from Arahom and took his old molds or made my own without his permission then it would be recasting...I do have permission so it is not a recast. it is an official casting.

Now when ARH wanted to make recreations of Frank Frazetta paintings then they paid Frazetta to do this and the Frazettas got a piece of the pie because they owned the original artwork and characters painted by Frank Frazetta.

This is also why I cannot and do not sell any of the old ARH studio Frazetta statues because Arahom no longer has the license to sell Frazetta stuff and neither do I so I don't. If I were to sell castings from those molds then that would be considered a recasting and I have had many many people ask and I could make a lot of money but I will not recast or sell products without the permission of the owner of the intellectual property. You will not find anyone who has bought a Frazetta kit from me as much as I would love to sell them. I have repainted some ARH Frazetta statues but they all have been official factory castings and not my own that I just repaired or repainted.

Now if someone on there own time and money makes a one of a kind recreation of someone elses character then that is not usually considered a problem as long as it is a one of a kind or something made for just one collector it is just considered fan art. It is only when a person starts advertising and mass producing multiples of someone elses character when it is considered stealing someones IP.

Many companies try to get away with remaking and selling characters that they should be paying a licensing fee just by tweaking the character a little bit or renaming it into something slightly different or using a nickname but everyone knows it is stolen property.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #63
Arkalogik
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
Every statue is recast by that definition, what the ---- are you talking about :P

Recast very specifically regarded as unlicensed copies of existing statues/props/etc :|
You are correct Dao2.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #64
Arkalogik
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Pheidias View Post
Ok so let's take the new Arkhalla 1/2 bust an example.

So In the video Arahom says that ARH and Dave are making a limited Edition run of 30 of the busts. It is also offered as a kit to buy and paint youself. ..So if for example this sells out of all 30.. then Dave can also make as many extras as he likes with custom paint jobs and ARH does not have a financial gain at all?..Sounds to me that ARH should not even bother numbering anything or calling it limited edition because it is worthless..
These busts are a bit different because they are ALL being produced in the USA and personally cast by me in high quality polyurethane resin which is far superior to the cheap polyester resin that the prepainted statues from China are made from. My resin does not shatter like glass if you drop something.

Any one that orders this bust through ARH Studios will be getting a bust that is actually painted by Arahom and not some assembly line of cheap labor in China. He will personally number and sign each bust on the bottom so if that is what you want then that is available.

For those people who like to paint and build statues for themselves they can buy an unpainted version but it will not be signed and numbered by Arahom so that is the difference between the two.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #65
Arkalogik
The Spirit

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Yep! So do I!
Old 06-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #66
Great Pheidias
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkalogik View Post
These busts are a bit different because they are ALL being produced in the USA and personally cast by me in high quality polyurethane resin which is far superior to the cheap polyester resin that the prepainted statues from China are made from. My resin does not shatter like glass if you drop something.

Any one that orders this bust through ARH Studios will be getting a bust that is actually painted by Arahom and not some assembly line of cheap labor in China. He will personally number and sign each bust on the bottom so if that is what you want then that is available.

For those people who like to paint and build statues for themselves they can buy an unpainted version but it will not be signed and numbered by Arahom so that is the difference between the two.
Perfect! Thanks for taking the time to clear it all up!
Great Pheidias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #67
stone eagle
Justice League

Boy talk about mixed emotions and thoughts....
As I have said before I have no problem with the one statue I did get from ARH (Arkhala Forever) and it was made in China. It did take some time to arrive though. Were I get frustrated is in dealing with all the excuses as to why my Valkyrie is taking years past it's due date to arrive. I hope I will be pleased when I finally get it from China. If it can be believed my latest email from them says it will be an improved model with better paint application than what ARH could do in house.
As a side I have no problem with Arkalogik and his work with ARH molds and feels he does a great job in filling the void (no pun intended) in helping collectors obtain statues.
The question is who is telling the most accurate side of the issue and which one does a customer believe? ARH's side of China statue is an improvement or the side where USA made statues are better made and painted......
Also if ARH has time to sculpt and paint a quality "new statue" why can't they just do what was promised and paid for in full several years ago and complete the back orders first then do the new statues and busts?
It seems like those of us waiting for years will have to wait even longer to get what we paid for but based on their website those who order today one of the new busts etc. will get them in just a couple of months? (or will the new customers be next generation of people getting the delay excuses?)
stone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #68
zeus
What's another word for Thesaurus?

It took over 1 years to get my Leonidas but even thought they said 3 months.But I was informed along the way for the delays.
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #69
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
He means past the edition size of the original run.
C'mon Dao you know that.
That nowhere near recast :| and many old are statues never actually produced their full es, even medusa.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #70
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Are you serious? That is the dumbest thing I've heard unless I misunderstood what you said. Did somebody in China sculpt the figures or pour money into the development of said figures?
You are misunderstanding I think. He's saying they didn't need to get the rights to those "characters" as there isn't an option for IP, they are justhe historic or mythological. He's not talking about the statue or sculpt.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote