Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #11
protector2814
Phoenix

You have to remove yourself from your own timeline & read Silver Age books as the creative art they were/are. As I do when I watch movies from bygone eras or books or view paintings, big-band music or jazz or newsreels etc... When you read these comics in that light, they are groundbreaking & wonderful. This Lee/Kirby FF run was truly amazing.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #12
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
You have to remove yourself from your own timeline & read Silver Age books as the creative art they were/are. As I do when I watch movies from bygone eras or books or view paintings, big-band music or jazz or newsreels etc... When you read these comics in that light, they are groundbreaking & wonderful. This Lee/Kirby FF run was truly amazing.
Well said, I completely agree. Lee/Kirby FF is pure magic!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #13
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Well said by you both!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #14
risingstar
Jedi Order

I recently tried to re-read the first Thor (Journey into Mystery) Omnibus. It was a really challenging read. Also, by today's standards, the gender roles struck me as too significant to appreciate, even for the times. Seeing Jane Foster hoping to get Thor to fall in love with her by endless pining and pampering (i.e., ironing his cape, cutting his hair, and literally polishing his hammer....) was too much. Every other issue was either Loki causing some kind of trouble and/or seeing Jane play the role of the dimwitted, marriage obsessed female who could not survive for 5 minutes without having Thor save her from goodness know what. The book got better once it finally abandoned this 2-step approach to storytelling but the first 20 or so issues were not great. I can't see myself ever reading those first run of issues again.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #15
whd
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I recently tried to re-read the first Thor (Journey into Mystery) Omnibus. It was a really challenging read. Also, by today's standards, the gender roles struck me as too significant to appreciate, even for the times. Seeing Jane Foster hoping to get Thor to fall in love with her by endless pining and pampering (i.e., ironing his cape, cutting his hair, and literally polishing his hammer....) was too much. Every other issue was either Loki causing some kind of trouble and/or seeing Jane play the role of the dimwitted, marriage obsessed female who could not survive for 5 minutes without having Thor save her from goodness know what. The book got better once it finally abandoned this 2-step approach to storytelling but the first 20 or so issues were not great. I can't see myself ever reading those first run of issues again.
I was surprised at how few issues in that volume were done by Lee & Kirby. A lot of those issues felt like they were fill-ins.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #16
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I’m fading the Thor Masterworks now. Other than the first issue, nearly none of the rest were done by Lee/Kirby. They were extremely difficult to read. Joe Sinnott and Don Heck’s Art, in particular, we’re painful. That said, starting around the 11th issue, Lee/Kirby picked up the reigns and the stories and majesty of their partnership on Thor really picks up speed. I’m up to volume 4 and am completely hooked.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote