Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-10-2019, 03:55 AM   #1
wrlord
Fantastic Four

Artists you were wrong about?

A lot of young people don't like Kirby - especially early Kirby - and then later grow to appreciate what he was doing.
When Steranko came on the scene, a lot of people had trouble with his psychedelic sensibility.
A generation later, I found Sienkiewicz's work on New Mutants completely inaccessible. I hated it.
I was wrong. Way wrong.
Anybody else have one of these experiences?
wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:07 AM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Sienkiewicz is definitely an artist I grew to appreciate more with time as well. I would add Simonson to the mix as well too. However, generally, I like what I like relatively quickly.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I’ve never been wrong about an artist, heh.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Mister H
Green Goblin

Breyfogle. Didn’t care for him at first, but he’s one of my top Batman artists now.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

Mike Magnola is an artist I've always had a little trouble with. I remember reading his old DC stuff like Cosmic Oddysey & just could never get into his chunky style. Then came Hellboy & his attention to atmosphere, background, weather, etc .... & I completely got him. I think he's an amazing Horror' artist. Verdict's still out on his superheroes.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Mike Magnola is an artist I've always had a little trouble with. I remember reading his old DC stuff like Cosmic Oddysey & just could never get into his chunky style. Then came Hellboy & his attention to atmosphere, background, weather, etc .... & I completely got him. I think he's an amazing Horror' artist. Verdict's still out on his superheroes.

Mignola's black and white batman statue is most sought after, most expensive b&w statue. So i don't think so...
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:22 PM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I’ve never been wrong about an artist, heh.
Actually, I take this back. I used to love John Byrne’s art but now I find it boring, kind of like a one trick pony. I just reread his run on Superman, Namor and Incredible Hulk and it just doesn’t hold up. I have his complete FF Omnibus collection but I’m reticent to revisit it.

I will admit I’m negatively biased against him for his general negative attitude but most especially for when I read his criticism of Gene Colan’s work when this Silver Age pioneering artist was sick, just before he died.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
A lot of young people don't like Kirby - especially early Kirby - and then later grow to appreciate what he was doing.
When Steranko came on the scene, a lot of people had trouble with his psychedelic sensibility.
A generation later, I found Sienkiewicz's work on New Mutants completely inaccessible. I hated it.
I was wrong. Way wrong.
Anybody else have one of these experiences?
Kirby , Ditko & Sienkiewicz. I didn't like any of them when I was younger. Thankfully I learned the error of my ways as I matured.
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Actually, I take this back. I used to love John Byrne’s art but now I find it boring, kind of like a one trick pony. I just reread his run on Superman, Namor and Incredible Hulk and it just doesn’t hold up. I have his complete FF Omnibus collection but I’m reticent to revisit it.

I will admit I’m negatively biased against him for his general negative attitude but most especially for when I read his criticism of Gene Colan’s work when this Silver Age pioneering artist was sick, just before he died.
I agree his art hasn't been as dynamic in the latter part of his career. What do you think of his current X-Men work?
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:16 PM   #10
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I agree his art hasn't been as dynamic in the latter part of his career. What do you think of his current X-Men work?
In fairness, the fact he’s on it has caused me not to purchase it. So, don’t know.