Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 10-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #1
Frankierock
Omega Red

P.E.D.'s..why are we celebrating using them?

Ok so I need to get this straight. PED's- (Performance Enhancing Drugs) Can we as a Nation pick a side and stop the witch hunting already.
The reason I say this is simple. Last night while watching an NFL game I came to a realization. The NFL celebrates these drugs and barely does anything to the players using them. Example- Julian Edelman. 4 game suspension and people are all welcoming him back and cheering for him. And he is just the most recent offender, so I used him.
In the MLB a man can straight up lose his career even while not testing positive...Example A-Rod. A full year suspension...people ripped him a new one, and will never let him live it down...Barry Bonds anyone? 2 examples, there are plenty more. So WTF.
The WTF is not because I think he is innocent or Guilty, it's because any guy caught using in Baseball is 100% blacklisted and heavily fined, as they should be...but as a human being and a Dad how can I tell my Son...if you want to cheat in sports or do drugs play Football.
Where do we draw the line with athletes?
Is it because most NFL players have a short Career, or only maybe 10% of them are "famous"- and by that I mean, my Son is a Met Fan and knows the starting 9 and most of the pitching staff. He loves the Football Giants knows..Beckham, Barkley and Manning...
If I asked him who every punter, offensive line man or tackle he'd maybe come up with 2 or 3.
This is all just my opinion, but can we pick a side.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
Mister H
Green Goblin

Great question. I’ll have to research that more before I shoot my mouth off about NFL v MLB. I played D1 college ball a long time ago though, and I know some dudes who did juice. Although not nearly as prevalent in college hoops as it is in pro football or baseball, the idea back about then was that you “shouldn’t” be doing it but nobody was going to raise a big fuss about it if you were caught. No one would ever rat someone out though, not even from another team.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
Mister H
Green Goblin

What were the drugs the two guys you mentioned, were doing? HGH or steroids?
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
Frankierock
Omega Red

They don't mention what the substance was. It's now blanketed as PED's. I played college baseball, but knew many football players who did steroids. And like you said you just looked the other way.
Again it's not that I'm upset at what they are using as much as it is in the NFL you get chance after chance and no real repercussion .Just look at Cowboy player Randy Gregory this year...busted for drugs for the 6th time in his NFL career. C C Sabathia was sent to rehab for drinking to much...which was bad..but he almost lost everything on his 1st offense.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
qz33
Rescue

It's all about popular opinion and attention.

Other than well known standouts the NFL is more glossed over as whole teams where baseball players are more focused on individually.

A home run is much more singularly gratified than a touchdown.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Frankierock
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post

Other than well known standouts the NFL is more glossed over as whole teams where baseball players are more focused on individually.

That is definitely true. But the crime still doesn't fit the punishment. Not that it should be the same across all leagues, but then again maybe it should...
Football has been in the news the last 2 years running with the National Anthem attention. Dont you think this is the time to start putting your foot down, and show the nation and the youth that drugs are a real problem. And it will and should not be tolerated as ok just because you are athletically talented.
Any corporate job out there, you could straight up lose your career if you are involved.
Again and I stress this..it should not be looked at as Ok in one sport and horrible in another. Its apples to apples here.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
adee
Green Arrow

The NFL and NBA have never been as strict as MLB on this topic. I think some has to do with the nature of the sport. MLB takes a lot of pride in it's history and stats. When all that stuff happened with McGwire and Sosa they all knew they were on steroids but no one cared because of all the attention the league was getting with the home run race after going through a really tough time. I think MLB is very hypocritical on this as they were perfectly fine celebrating these guys when it was all happening but now witch hunt guys to make an example of them. Don't think for a second that players aren't still looking for a competitive advantage and getting away with it. When it's that kind of money on the line for some it's worth the risk. Honestly I can't even say I blame them.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #8
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Big time sports fan here. Great topic. We all don't know half the things that happen or are allowed behind organizations. You just have to put the blinders on sadly in sum cases. I played college baseball and had teammates who juiced. Not like PEDs made you better, just made you heal quicker and maybe a slight confidence boost. The skill aspect still remains. Gotta execute.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #9
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post

A home run is 10x harder to do than a touchdown Imo.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
A home run is 10x harder to do than a touchdown Imo.
Depends on who pitching and who's trying to tackle you

I think QB is the most difficult position in sports.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote