Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #471
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal View Post
Not sure if I can add them here, but MINOR SPOILERS on a couple of points that I didn't agree with below. All in all though a fun movie, and my sister's kids who are real fanatics as a result of the cartoon series loved it, so job done Bay & Co :-)

I really don't understand why they changed the origin, seemed pointless other than to connect April to them. Shredder's lack of connection with them made that worse for me, as that's one of the core story points for me, that endless vengeance and hatred.

The way Splinter and the turtles learnt martial arts though, that for me just didn't work and didn't make sense - no wonder Shredder seemed so superior having not learnt his skills from a kata book.

My biggest peeve though was where did they get the weaponry?! :-)

Other than that, if you switched off to the plot and just went with the ride, I thought the turtles were great, the CG was brilliant and it was a lot of fun. Just puzzled at some of the story choices they went with, a couple of tweaks and it would have been virtually the origin story but updated, so why go through the hassle.

Have Splinter be a lab technician with martial arts training/studies, who finds out about the plot, does the same thing as April but burns Shredder in the fire/escape, but gets covered in mutagen on his way out. Gets to the tunnels, where he mutates because of the rats down there, and bobs your uncle. Martial arts background, Shredder as an enemy, Splinter still a man before the mutation, and works in the content of the film with April also being part of the origin as well.
I agree with you, Colossal. For the most part the movie was enjoyable but not without its faults. These are my points of contention:

The plot had so many loose ends in respect with each character, that it made it harder for me to develop any sort of attachment with the whole story. From Splinter and the turtles origins, to the Shredder and the foot clan's background, everything seemed to be rushed and therefore unappealing to me.

The size and the strength of the turtles was also a disappointment in my opinion. They were so overpowering that truthfully it never felt as if they were in any real danger during the entire movie. The foot clan soldiers were just a bunch of pitiful thugs and low life mercenaries that just the idea or they controling New York's underground was ridiculous and almost laughable.

I enjoy the movie for what it was. But honestly it did not feel as engaging as the first one did. I rather have four small turtles (the underdogs) fighting a sea of skill ninjas (the real foot clan) against all odds. The new Eastman & Waltz comic run published by IDW and backed by Nickelodeon feels more realistic and enticing to me, story wise.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #472
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

so pretty much what I thought, the movie is good, but naturally not as good as it could of been if they followed the source material more closesly (my gripe with all of these kinds of movies)
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #473
ratchet
Mandarin

Hey guys - without going through the 47 pages here, I'm not sure if anyone else asked - how is the violence? Too much for a 5 year old?
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #474
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Hey guys - without going through the 47 pages here, I'm not sure if anyone else asked - how is the violence? Too much for a 5 year old?
Nope. The movie is great for small kids. It was geared towards them.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #475
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I think it depends on how you feel about gun violence for someone that age. There isn't a lot of it, but the Foot Clan do fire bullets at the Turtles. I don't recall seeing any blood (maybe once).
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #476
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

yup your right Luminous. but there is blood. but not gory or anything. its not a bloody mess.
i took my 8 year old to it and he loved it.

cant wait for the next one.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #477
Gruson
Suicide Squad

An ok movie but pales in comparison to the 1990 film or even the Nickelodeon cartoon series.

Hated the backstory / origin of the Turtles and Splinter. Splinter looked and sounded awful, not sure what they were thinking. I'm not a big fan of the Turtles new look either but could tolerate it.

Shredder was pretty cool looking but more or less just a goon. Some pretty cool sequences but no real drama or story. The 1990 version is a much better film IMO and felt more like TMNT.

My 7 year old son liked it but my 5 year old son didn't care for the changes either. He kept commenting on them more than me.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #478
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
An ok movie but pales in comparison to the 1990 film or even the Nickelodeon cartoon series.

Hated the backstory / origin of the Turtles and Splinter. Splinter looked and sounded awful, not sure what they were thinking. I'm not a big fan of the Turtles new look either but could tolerate it.

Shredder was pretty cool looking but more or less just a goon. Some pretty cool sequences but no real drama or story. The 1990 version is a much better film IMO and felt more like TMNT.

My 7 year old son liked it but my 5 year old son didn't care for the changes either. He kept commenting on them more than me.
I agree.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:38 AM   #479
abarron
Batman

Watched this the other night

Really not a fan of the change in Origin and now the turtles were taught from the book.

Liked how they had distinct personalities but didn't really think Leo came across as a leader and Donny was a typical geek rather than just pretty good with tech.

Can not stand Megan Fox as an actress though
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote