Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 02-02-2024, 11:08 AM   #41
Atlantisatdawn
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I think if something brings you joy there is value in that. In the 1990s I bought some comics convinced they were investments. That didn't play out. Since then buy what I love and write it off mentally as a 100% loss. If I do resell that's bonus money at this point.
Perfect answer
Atlantisatdawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:08 PM   #42
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
I think if something brings you joy there is value in that. In the 1990s I bought some comics convinced they were investments. That didn't play out. Since then buy what I love and write it off mentally as a 100% loss. If I do resell that's bonus money at this point.

The secret to enjoyment is almost zen in it's simplicity.
pdenham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:09 PM   #43
qz33
Baron Zemo

If the stuff you're buying is causing you a near existential crisis...
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 11:44 PM   #44
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Less and less each year, imo.

Prices keep increasing and selling on the aftermarket sucks. Not to mention the loss of value on most statues. I know these aren't to be bought as investments, but still.... Imagine spending $50k on a room full of statues, and only being able to sell them for 25k-30k. It's not like a car or a watch, that depreciates because of use and wear, and ever-improving technology and advancements.

Statues are just displayed. They don't (shouldn't) experience wear and tear. And how many true advancements/innovations have been made in this hobby over the past few years? Even JND's hyperrealism isn't a new thing. They just revived it and ran with it. I look at some of my older pieces, and they look just as good as my new statues. Contrary to what many collectors preach, I think most statues should hold their retail value, or at least somewhere close to it. This is honestly the only real gripe I have with this hobby. I don't like the constant price increases, but they're easier to stomach if I know I can recoup upon selling.

As a way to combat this, I've stopped POing licensed pieces. Don't really see a reason to as very few statues are selling out nowadays. I figure it'll probably be cheaper to pick them up after release when they're on sale or on the aftermarket. That way when I buy them, not only do I save by not paying retail, but also, hopefully most of the deprecation has already occurred, so I won't lose much, if any, money if I eventually decide to sell them.

It's been a solid course of action so far. Saved a little under $400 by buying JND's Mera on the aftermarket, would have saved more had I not originally dropped a NRD. I also saved $800 on my QS Strange bust, just by waiting a few months after it was released. Sideshow's military discount has also saved me quite a bit, all I had to do was wait until the pieces were in stock, and I could even get free shipping if I timed it right.

All that said, I think collecting is still "worth it" if you go about it strategically.
I think the biggest change in our hobby that has changed since this thread was made is how easy it is to 3D print statues. Everything used to be hand sculpted. The biggest culprit of our statues not retaining value isn't the economy, it's over saturation. How many different representations of Marvel and DC characters are out now? We can't even count.

Surprisingly for me lately, I've been selling quite a bit the last month or so, but still at about a 10-20% loss depending the piece.

Quote:
It's too bad you didn't invest in golden and silver age books back in the 90s. You'd be rich for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Ah, great question. I believe some of it is. I look at statues being produced now and I see a lot of sensationalism instead of a thought out representation of a character. Art is very subjective of course. The 2-D and 3-D stuff that I choose to spend money on, I consider art, yes. I guess what I was referring to was other art. Like my nature prints. My wife thinks the comic stuff is a bit childish yet she thinks Romero Britto is a true artist. SMH.
Very true. I don't know what I consider all this computer, 3D printing stuff to be when a software is doing the hardest job. I find hand sculpted statues to be way more impressive.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:32 AM   #45
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
It's too bad you didn't invest in golden and silver age books back in the 90s. You'd be rich for sure.
In my defense I was a child with limited resources making a few bucks here and there off odd jobs. Buying Superman #75 for a few dollars was more in my wheelhouse than something like Amazing Fantasy #15 which I'm pretty sure was already over a grand back then.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:35 PM   #46
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

16 years later there is still no good and definitive answer to the question.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 01:32 PM   #47
Iko Iko
Fantomah

Seem pretty cut and dry to me.

If you are enjoying it, yes.

If not, no.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 02:16 PM   #48
ukshaun
Hercules

The answer to the question is on how you define 'worth it'.

From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English be worth it informal used to say that
you gain something from an action It was a lot of hard work, but it was worth it.

Apply this to statues, and the work required amounts to:

Parting with cash (most of us have to work for our cash)
Waiting for delivery (sometimes this can amount to weeks, months, years).
Dealing with expectation (some statues please more than others).
Statue display (where to home each piece).
(repeat)

Slowly your funds will be drained.
Slowly your space will be taken.

In return you will get to kick back admire a collection, a collection that should make you think.. Yes, it was worth it!

..or

In return you will get to kick back admire a collection, a collection that might make you think.. What sort of fool am i?
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 02:42 PM   #49
qz33
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
The answer to the question is on how you define 'worth it'.

From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English be worth it informal used to say that
you gain something from an action It was a lot of hard work, but it was worth it.

Slowly your funds will be drained.
Slowly your space will be taken.

In return you will get to kick back admire a collection, a collection that should make you think.. Yes, it was worth it!

..or

In return you will get to kick back admire a collection, a collection that might make you think.. What sort of fool am i?
Thing is it isn't "or" it's "and".

These "hobbies" are not unlike any other selfish pursuit that requires some combination time/space money, energy. You aren't bettering yourself or anyone else.

I always think this applies very much to these types of discussions.
https://youtu.be/sCP2SGTIz28?t=496
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 02:52 PM   #50
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Thing is it isn't "or" it's "and".

I always think this applies very much to these types of discussions.
https://youtu.be/sCP2SGTIz28?t=496
Joy or Pleasure?
George Lucas says: Joy

Looking at a cool statue ='s Joy
Thinking about obtaining that statue ='s Not_Pleasurable
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote