Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 06-13-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Teague
Iron Man

eBay Non-Paying Bidder?

I need some advice, guys. I've sold stuff on eBay here and there over the years, but I've never had this happen, and I'm not sure what the procedure is from here.

Basically what happened is this: I put out a full run of the Grant Morrison Seven Soldiers of Victory maxi-series, and got five bids total. The winner of the auction e-mailed me later that night with this: "I can't pay for this. Sorry." I e-mailed him back and said "I'm sorry? Explain to me what's going on. I don't want to leave negative feedback or get eBay involved, but you can't just not pay for an auction you've won." He writes me back this morning: "I'm very, very sorry sir. You can go ahead and give me a negative. I deserve it. It's my fault." Sigh.

Obviously, this is a kid with an eBay account, and probably got cut off from his folks' credit card. I checked the kid's feedback (which had been 14, now down to 13), and sure enough, he just did the same thing to someone else for a Justice League DVD set, and got a negative. Apparently did the same thing back in September of last year. (Pisses me off, though, that if that's what happened, the parent is just leaving the auction sellers high and dry to make a point to his kid, instead of honoring the contract and then not letting the kid keep the books...but I digress.)

Anyway, this kid is a lost cause, I realize, but here's my question: what do I do from here? I'm going to give the kid a negative, for sure, but beyond that? In terms of eBay? The only thing I've found is that I can send a "second chance offer" to the next highest bid. Is that worth it? And how do I let eBay know what's going on, so I don't pay fees on this lot?

Thanks for any advice, guys.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I hate it when this stuff happens. You need to file a non paying bidder alert:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/unpaid-item-process.html

This will get you you final auction fees back.

Once he gets three complaints, ebay will boot him off.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Well, if you do a second chance offer and it's accepted, you'll get charged fees anyway. Also, be careful he doesn't leave you a negative just for the hell of it.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus
Also, be careful he doesn't leave you a negative just for the hell of it.
That's why I don't bother leaving negatives for non paying bidders. I am always concerned about revenge feedback. I'd just file my complaint and get my fees back.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

I had a non paying bidder while back, and just asked what happened and why he couldnt pay. Gave some lame excuse, so i just did a second chance offer (since it was $2 less then the guy who didnt pay) and it sold. I just never contacted him again and never filed a claim or left neg feedback. So it just went away and i still sold the item.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
DFury
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Me, I would file a non-payer alert and get my fee's returned and leave it at that, relist the item and try again..

The negative is due, but not worth the chance of it getting returned.. All that I would really care is that I dont have to pay the fee's

df
DFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
bomen
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

file complaint, wait the time, get fees refunded, and immediately block the little SOB's ID...and for all future bids, filter on 10+ or better IDs,no "shades",no non-paypal accounts, etc. every little bit helps.
bomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #8
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER
That's why I don't bother leaving negatives for non paying bidders. I am always concerned about revenge feedback. I'd just file my complaint and get my fees back.
ditto, hurts you more than him, and he doesn't care
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:06 AM   #9
PAINKILLER
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

You cant say Obviously its a kid, you dont know what the situation is. Everybody has problems time to time, you guys are quick to judge with no reason to. Its not that serious, just relist it with second chance offer.
PAINKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:25 AM   #10
sylvan
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

non paying bidder

I am in a different situation. I am the buyer and i have sent a money order (his request and he had good feedback) . I sent it via registered mail and i have got unpaid item reminder from ebay. I have sent a photo of the m/o and the registered mail slip to the seller. I know It will work it self out eventually but trying to sort it out is a pain as i have done all in my power to forfill my end of the bargain. I am new to this site and love it. All keep up the good work
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote