Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 05-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #31
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
now that was an interesting read, as disgusting as it was I can't help but find "Next Carl hired a canoe with six Africans. His plan was simple: he wanted to find crocodiles. And he found plenty of them. Upon coming across a batch of crocs, Carl shot his six men and fed them all to the crocodiles." hilarious in it's absurdity.

as for the insanity issue I think the main consensus is that a sane person CAN'T do that sort of thing, a sane person doesn't wake up one day and decide he wants to shoot 6 random people, a sane person doesn't decide he wants to kill 1st graders in class, a sane person doesn't want to feed people to friggin crocodiles. the difference in my view however is that insanity is not an excuse for the crimes and should not be used to get them off, if a person is truly "insane" by the courts book then they should be committed to an asylum never to see the light of day again just as they would be sealed up in prison otherwise
That's where I stand on the Elliot Rodger situation, too. I don't think his insanity in any way, shape or form is an excuse for his actions. But by the same token, watching his videos and reading his manifesto, it's painfully obvious the man was taking up residence in Crazytown. Everything from his rantings to the way he carried himself was a show of someone who was not even close to being tethered to reality. I have a cousin with schizophrenia, and aside from some odd, impulsive behavior, he's largely harmless. Rodger was a homicidal maniac; nothing short of incarceration or death was going to stop him.

In an ideal world, instead of brushing him off as "a well-mannered, wonderful human being" as they did, the cops would have gotten search and arrest warrants when his parents called them and put Rodger in a straitjacket before anyone had to die. He was clearly too far gone and too dangerous to not be locked up. I think that's probably the biggest tragedy in this whole situation; he could have been stopped were it not for police incompetence. Would it have stopped the misogynist idiots from championing Rodger's lunacy? Sadly, no. But it might at least have saved six innocent people from death and countless others from being hurt in the crossfire.
greenjeans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote