Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 11-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #291
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

I need to pick one of these up. I have a feeling the SS WS Cap will be a let down.
FastballSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #292
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastballSpecial View Post
I need to pick one of these up. I have a feeling the SS WS Cap will be a let down.
If you care a lot about movie accuracy, then I'd definitely go with GG. If you don't really care about film accuracy, and you like a more artist interpretation of a Stealth Cap from the film, then I'd go with SS. Right now, it's kinda hard to make a decision, I know, because Sideshow's production version isn't released yet.

However, I'm telling you, in my honest opinion, GG is the way to go. There's only 300 of them out there. 300! Forget about the base. Forget about it not having switch-outs, and pay the little extra to send GG's Cap off to a professional for a face repaint, and when you get it back, it'll look like Evans came out of your television and struck a pose in your living room.

Yeah, I admit GG is usually awesome at what they do, but it's so damn unfortunate that they couldn't come through on the face; however, the rest of the sculpt, the detail & paint of the suit, shield, cowl, and boots deserves the help from a repainted face. The statue is just way too good to leave it the way it is out of the box.

Even though Sideshow's comes with a more dynamic pose, it still doesn't beat GG's. The pose with GG's is Chris Evans all day long. It's stoic, triumphant, victorious, and still waiting for more. It's the only pose you'll need...believe me. Sideshow's has a great dynamic pose, but the prototype head sculpts along with everything else looks like it came out of a Pixar cartoon. Tell me I'm wrong...

AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:44 PM   #293
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
If you care a lot about movie accuracy, then I'd definitely go with GG. If you don't really care about film accuracy, and you like a more artist interpretation of a Stealth Cap from the film, then I'd go with SS. Right now, it's kinda hard to make a decision, I know, because Sideshow's production version isn't released yet.

However, I'm telling you, in my honest opinion, GG is the way to go. There's only 300 of them out there. 300! Forget about the base. Forget about it not having switch-outs, and pay the little extra to send GG's Cap off to a professional for a face repaint, and when you get it back, it'll look like Evans came out of your television and struck a pose in your living room.

Yeah, I admit GG is usually awesome at what they do, but it's so damn unfortunate that they couldn't come through on the face; however, the rest of the sculpt, the detail & paint of the suit, shield, cowl, and boots deserves the help from a repainted face. The statue is just way too good to leave it the way it is out of the box.

Even though Sideshow's comes with a more dynamic pose, it still doesn't beat GG's. The pose with GG's is Chris Evans all day long. It's stoic, triumphant, victorious, and still waiting for more. It's the only pose you'll need...believe me. Sideshow's has a great dynamic pose, but the prototype head sculpts along with everything else looks like it came out of a Pixar cartoon. Tell me I'm wrong...
Oh I have been a fan of GG for years. They always do amazing work.

Only reason I have the SS on PO was there was no NRD needed at the time and you got double points for ordering.

I with the GG came with switch out shields of Classic and Damaged but either way I think it looks great, even with the less than stellar portrait. It would look nice in front of a Cap shield.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:37 AM   #294
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

It's crazy that these are atill readily available at retail price. The portrait must have turned a lot of people off.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:19 AM   #295
AlizAbef

Fortunately for the collectors who own this guy, I'm sure they were prepared for what the portrait was gonna look like when they got it. One thing that Gentle Giant got right was the prototype to production match-up. Yeah I agree, I think a lot of collectors were put off from the way the face looked on the proto; however, when the production piece was released, it wasn't any different (better or worse) from the prototype. So it's obvious that if collectors didn't like it then, they weren't gonna like it when he was released. I knew the face was off (well the eyes more like), but I wanted to take a shot because I was confident GG would do a fantastic job with detailing the rest of the statue and making sure it looked right.

I think collectors were easily able to see that GG got the proportions of Evans' head and his cowl correct. It's just very unfortunate that GG has this trend of wanting to produce blank, expressionless, doll-like faces on a lot of their head sculpts. I knew what I was getting into when I opened the box, but after I saw the eyes and the blank expression, I had to do something about it man. It was driving me nuts. Especially because the rest of the piece was so ----ing good.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:39 AM   #296
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastballSpecial View Post
It's crazy that these are atill readily available at retail price. The portrait must have turned a lot of people off.
Some, maybe. I think the amount of 1:4 scale Captain America statues on the market is the main factor though. Combined with the fact that this isn't his most iconic look but instead a specific suit from Winter Soldier might make it less desirable for a lot of collectors.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #297
kakarot117
Kindly Asked To Leave

For me I have black widow

I want a winter soldier statue

My issues with this one Is the face is expressionless the eyes are bad. And the pose is lame. Reminds me of sideshow old captain America pose. With a worse base.

I plan on getting the sideshow captain America winter soldier. The face is not that good but the pose, base, two shields and two heads makes up for it.
kakarot117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:27 AM   #298
kakarot117
Kindly Asked To Leave

One thing that could change my mind is if someone made a video review with black widow. Can't believe no one has made one yet
kakarot117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:39 AM   #299
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot117 View Post
And the pose is lame. Reminds me of sideshow old captain America pose. With a worse base.

I plan on getting the sideshow captain America winter soldier. The face is not that good but the pose, base, two shields and two heads makes up for it.
Im not a fan of the clear bases either but I actually like the GG pose.

I still have the SS PF on PO but not sure If I'll keep it. If anything I'll probably cancel or sell to get soemthing else Cap.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #300
AlizAbef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot117 View Post
For me I have black widow

I want a winter soldier statue

My issues with this one Is the face is expressionless the eyes are bad. And the pose is lame. Reminds me of sideshow old captain America pose. With a worse base.

I think its awesome that you're fortunate enough to have Gentle Giant's Black Widow; however, if you want a Stealth Cap to accent her, I'm not too sure if I would choose Sideshow's. I think if you do, it's just gonna annoy you that he has the type of base you want while BW doesn't, and it might also annoy you that BW looks as if she jumped right out of the Winter Soldier movie, while SS's Cap looks like he jumped right out of a 3D animated feature.

I think if you already own one brand, then you should just stick with that brand because GG's BW was obviously meant to go with their Cap. If you go with SS's, you're gonna have conflicting bases, conflicting poses, and conflicting faces. Worst of all, and I would hope it doesn't happen, you might also have conflicting quality.

If Sideshow had a Winter Soldier Black Widow on the horizon then I could see wanting their version, but since you already own the greatest Black Widow statue out there, get GG's Cap to accent her. I'm not sure what you have against his pose as it's a classic Chris Evans pose, but if you hate stand still poses that much, then I don't know what else to tell you.

Get over the pose, get GG's Cap, pay the little extra to have his eyes done right, and be happy.