Statue Forum 


XM Studios





StatueForum on Twitter StatueForum on Facebook StatueForum on YouTube
Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #511
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator
 
MONSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 21,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanny View Post
I hope Tanis comes with the Cosmic Ice Cube.
He better.
__________________
My CAF Gallery
MONSTER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #512
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
 
PureInvasion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I do keep the box with the art on it. I just break it down and store it flat. I do however throw away the brown shipping box and the big block of Styrofoam that the statue comes stored in.

As for your confusion, let me try and help with that. Each box for a 1:4 statue is roughly 2-3 square feet, give or take a bit. Thats just a general estimate given how different the sizes can be for each box. I currently own 26 - 1:4 statues with another 18 on pre order right now. That means with just the statues I already own, I was looking at roughly 52 to 78 square feet. Add the statues on pre order (36 to 54 square feet) and the total would be 88 to 132 square feet.

This is what 100 square feet looks like:



Here is a 100 square foot storage space:



People are always talking about how space is an issue with statue collecting. Well, personally, I think the boxes pose a much bigger space issue than the statues themselves and for what? Storing a bunch of empty boxes? If statue collecting was my only hobby and I had plenty of room for 100+ sqaure feet of empty boxes, I would keep them. Unforunately, I have a lot of collecting hobbies and I was beginning to run into serious space issues. Basically I had a choice, I could either start selling stuff to make more room available or I could throw away a bunch of empty boxes that were doing nothing for me but taking up space. The choice was an easy one.

Don't get me wrong, it was really hard throwing them away and I 2nd guessed myself the entire time. I almost turned around and picked them all back up a couple of times, but once I really committed to it and they were gone, oh man, it was like a 10,000 pound weight had been lifted off my chest. It was incredible and the amount of space it cleared up was significant.

I now use an old steamer trunk for storage for all of the extra portraits, weapons, etc. for all of my statues. I took the bottoms of Light Imressions print boxes and filled them with cut away foam. I was able to fit 5 layers in the steamer trunk and its FAR more secure than the original boxes and styrofoam.

Anyways, I hope that clears up some confusion. I am not in this hobby for investment purposes and I really have no intent on selling my statues. So the boxes were just dead weight. Dead weight that was taking up a LOT of space. Again, I still have the main statue boxes, the ones with the art on it. I just broke those down and store them flat. They take up barely any space at all.
Whole lot of writing...

Anyways...lots say they have no intention of selling pieces, until they do. Then you get to take a huge hit on the piece due to lack of proper packaging. I'd really hate to see the day you have to move and transport them all too. Yes the boxes are a pain in the butt, but they're a necessity to the hobby IMO.
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #513
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Farmington Hills, MI & La Fortuna, Costa Rica
Posts: 4,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
So ...basically your argument is based on what you think you know about business. Even those percentages you are using are based on your guess. Its not based on anything concrete ...like you are an SSC employee in marketing with first hand knowledge. You don't have solid evidence that SSC is using or is not using these "price guesses" in any way as marketing data ...no matter how small or big it is. In other words, your argument is based on speculation and conjecture.
No, my argument is based on what I do know about business and how business's are run, not what I think I know about business. There is a BIG difference.

And no, my figures are not just guesses. If you go to the "about us" section on Sideshow's website it normally shows how many customers they have and in how many countries thier stuff is sold in. I just looked at it last week. I can't remember the exact figure but I think it was around 14,500 customers in like 35 countries. For some reason, that section of thier website is no longer coming up. They updated thier website with a christmas shopping list and it screwed that section of thier website up. I am sure they will have it back up and running soon so you will be able to verify those numbers yourself. Or you could just email them and ask them. Anyways, I know for an absolute FACT that the people making pricing guesses on this website make up less than 1% of Sideshow's total customer base. That is not a guess.

In order for that to be inaccurate, there would have to be at least 145 different members on this website making price guesses and I know for a fact that there aren't more than 145 people on this website running around making price guesses. When a particular thread about a statue gets into that kind of run, your lucky if you see maybe 15-20 people make a guess about pricing before the topic moves on. If you honestly believe there are 145+ different people making price guesses on here on a regular basis, you really need to make an eye doctor appointment asap cause you are clearly seeing things.

Quote:
So that's been my point all along. We don't know if SSC is using or not using these "price guesses" as marketing data to help with pricing. There is no way to know.
Like I said, believe whatever you want to believe. People that actually have expereince in business and also have common sense are going to know that its a complete crock, if for no other reason than there are VASTLY superior sources of information out there which give you actual useful OBJECTIVE data, not ancedotal data like you get on various websites like StatueForum. If Sideshow was being run by a 12 year old child, then I might take such claims more seriously. Of course, Sideshow isn't being run by a 12 year old child.

Quote:
You talk of business understanding and common sense ...
Well, yeah becasue understanding business and actually having common sense are pretty vital when it comes to shooting down BS business theories like this one.

Quote:
Nope.
you talk of educating people on the internet, but really ...you, Orange Crush, just don't know. You talk like your knowledge is absolute and your side of the argument is always right ...but really, its NOT. So just stop acting like that to our fellow board members. Just stop.
Actually, not to toot my own horn, but I do know quite a bit, on a large number of topics, but that is neither here nor there. That's simply what a good education and good job expereince will do for you. That being said, I'm not always right. I am only human and make mistakes every day just like every other person on this forum and have never claimed otherwise. That doesnt change the fact that this topic of Sideshow changing prices based on what a few misc people post on the internet is pure BS.

Quote:
Yes, go ahead and keep making price guesses ...if that will make you feel better.
Make me feel better? Its simply one of the many things members do on these forums. I'm certainly not going to let some ridiculous theory on Sideshow pricing change that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
Whole lot of writing...

Anyways...lots say they have no intention of selling pieces, until they do. Then you get to take a huge hit on the piece due to lack of proper packaging. I'd really hate to see the day you have to move and transport them all too. Yes the boxes are a pain in the butt, but they're a necessity to the hobby IMO.
Well, I have been collecting statues for over 13 years now and I have yet to sell a single statue and I honestly can't think of a single thing that would come along and change my stance on this matter so I'm just not concerned about that at all. Worst comes to worst and a time comes where I no longer want them anymore and I can't sell them due to not having the boxes, I'll just keep them stored in our storage bin. Problem solved. My son can worry about them after I am dead and buried.

And transporting statues without the original boxes is extremely easy. In fact, I think its easier transporting statues without the boxes as getting them back in the boxes is a total pain. I always wind up with a 1-2" gap that I just can't get rid of. I have already transported statues multiple times in the past. I moved 3 times in a 5 year period when I was in art school. Lots of t-shirts, shipping peanuts, and boxes and your good to go. Hell, if I really wanted to I could use my Pelican cases and they would protect them better than the original boxes. And considering our home will be paid off in another 2 years and we have no intent on moving....well, the whole transportation issue is just a non issue.

If there is one thing I have learned this last year, its that the boxes are most certainly not a necessity to the hobby, at least not for me. In fact, the lack of boxes has only raised my overall enjoyment of the hobby as the amount of room the empty boxes took up was always a stressful side of the hobby for me.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #514
danteipp
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Blue Area of the Moon
Posts: 708
With respect to pricing, I personally don't believe that a few guesses on a statue forum, a few weeks or even a couple months before a statues' unveiling, is going to move the needle and impact Sideshow to make a change on its anticipated release price point.

What is far more likely is that a statue with great collector sentimentality, like Rocket and Groot, or a high collector interest, like Thanos, will probably be priced a bit higher than its normal base, retail cost like that of say the 10th Hulk statue or 20th Iron Man release.

Why not price the statue a bit higher at the onset, then you can always re-adjust and release a coupon or issue a sale to move merchandise stock later? I assume Thanos will be a bit higher than the cost of a similar-sized statue because, well, it is Thanos.

The question is what will collectors pay for Thanos versus where will they draw a line at a certain price point? For SS, to maximize business and profits, what is the highest reasonable price point they can set to maximize profits without pricing out too many collectors? That is the question.
danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #515
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...
 
MrJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 3,243
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #516
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...
 
MrJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 3,243
HAHA Ok so what is the over under on this one now that we saw the Deadpool pricing? I'll start and go easy with setting the over at $700
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #517
pokritz17
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.
 
pokritz17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 714
easily 899 minimum
pokritz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #518
savage.CAP
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.
 
savage.CAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 770
As excited as I was for this piece, after hearing the deadpool price.... I'm just going to go ahead and forget about this.

Sorry IGO, your guys' statues are amazing... but I just can't afford these price hikes.
savage.CAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #519
Medusoid
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.
 
Medusoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokritz17 View Post
easily 899 minimum
You're being too generous, it's probably going to be $1200 at this rate.
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #520
savage.CAP
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.
 
savage.CAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 770
Me: Never let go of me Sideshow!

sideshow: I promise. I'll never let go!


savage.CAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS

Prototypezstudios

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright StatueForum.com