Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #111
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Even though they are both insanely expensive, know how amazing both Deadpool and Thanos are makes me giddy to see what Sideshow and Harbottle have come up with for Magneto.

My main wishes are that it is dynamic (no Capt. Morgan pose please), detailed, sporting his classic red and purple costume (please no white or black costume) and not a maquette.

I'm not going to lie, I have no issue plopping down Deadpool pricing for an amazing Magneto PF.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #112
actionjackson83
Midnighter

lol $700 for magneto, more like $1500 seeing as how we've been begging for one for over 7 years.
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:42 AM   #113
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight85 View Post
Well I mean, you have a point, there is nothing for certain that definitely says he was the one that was responsible for the Xavier institution wreckage. It's just the pose. He's all leaned back, sitting real comfortable and sprawled out on the chair, surrounded by what appears to be trophies. The only thing I see missing here is Rogue sitting on his lap and a six-pack of beer on the floor as if it was a day at the beach for him.

I do agree though, the non-helmet version does give him a more contemplative look. I just think having the sentinel throne chair on top of the mansion rubble while holding cerebro doesn't mesh well. The two different set pieces almost clash and give off some type of conflict as to what is going on. It's like he's sitting there just patting himself on the back saying "told you so Charles".

If the sentinels were to attack and definitively destroy the x-mansion and Xavier's dream, I'm pretty sure Magneto wouldn't take the time to make a personal mockery out of the metal robots. I think he would honestly probably be crushed, crushed in the fact that he was right about humanity, but deep down didn't want to be. I always viewed Magneto as hoping Xavier's way is the better way, he just knows he couldn't live with himself if he went down that road and bad things happened. And if they were going the route of the aftermath of a sentinel attack in which Magneto was there to clean it all up after it was too late, I think there could have been many other ideas to portray this type of scene/story idea.

Even so though, while I know it sounds like I'm going off on this statue, I do want to say it's a wonderful statue and I think anyone who spent a lot on it, shouldn't have double thoughts, it definitely stands out as something quality. It's just I don't think it captures the complexity to Magneto/Eric Lehnsherr. Hell my favorite comic book writer is probably Grant Morrison, and I refuse to buy his X-Men saga due to the depiction of the character in that book. Many others feel the same way, which is why it got a retcon. Even Morrison himself was quoted as saying he wishes he depicted the character differently. I have like all the x men omnibuses, but even with several opportunities to get the Morrison one for cheap money, I just don't want it in my collection lol.
I see his angry portrait as rage over the battle with the Sentinels and the possible high cost paid by the X-MEN to safe guard Cerebro. I don't get a "I told you so vibe". Magneto is capable of great rage. Especially when his fellow mutants are attacked by humans. Yes, he is a complex and deep character but he's also a man who's capable of great violence and rage under the right circumstances. I don't see him taking the time to make a mockery of the Sentinels they battled. I see it as he's angry at humans who caused the massive destruction of the mansion (and the possible loss of mutant lives) to get their hands on Cerebro. Mags takes out the last Sentinel during this fierce battle and is exhausted. He grabs the first piece of wreckage to fashion a chair and is seething over the cost of the battle for Cerebro.

Since the day I got the piece though, I've displayed the portrait without the helmet. I just think it looks perfect for the piece and so life like. I've loved this statue since the day XM put up the art work and WIP pics of the statue. Nothing has changed for me since the day I received it. All that said, I'm always happy to see Mags get some more love...be it in comics or statue form. I'm really excited to see what Harbottle and SSC has in store for us.

Magneto is my all-time favorite villain. I've been reading the X-MEN monthly since the late 70's when I was a wee lad. I consider the Byrne/Claremont run on the X-MEN to be one of the best runs in comic history. I agree with you 100% when it comes to Morrison and his run on the X-MEN. I have every issue and can honestly say he missed the mark completely on Mag's character during his run. I wasn't crazy about his portrayal of Cyclops either. I'd say your instincts are spot on with the omnibus. Don't bother with picking it up. I doubt you'd enjoy it.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:43 AM   #114
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson83 View Post
lol $700 for magneto, more like $1500 seeing as how we've been begging for one for over 7 years.
Yeak ok.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #115
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Even though they are both insanely expensive, know how amazing both Deadpool and Thanos are makes me giddy to see what Sideshow and Harbottle have come up with for Magneto.

My main wishes are that it is dynamic (no Capt. Morgan pose please), detailed, sporting his classic red and purple costume (please no white or black costume) and not a maquette.

I'm not going to lie, I have no issue plopping down Deadpool pricing for an amazing Magneto PF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson83 View Post
If this is a MAQ sculpted by Harbottle....watch your wallets. Remember, the only other licensed 1/4 Mags out there runs about $3000 nowadays. Don't think for a minute that SSC isn't aware of that fact.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:47 AM   #116
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Oh, I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where it was confirmed to be a maquette.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #117
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
If this is a MAQ sculpted by Harbottle....watch your wallets. Remember, the only other licensed 1/4 Mags out there runs about $3000 nowadays. Don't think for a minute that SSC isn't aware of that fact.
If Thanos is 12 Mags will be less even if it is called a Maquette

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where it was confirmed to be a maquette.
It hasn't.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #118
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
If Thanos is 12 Mags will be less even if it is called a Maquette

It hasn't.
I know

I was being sarcastic.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #119
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
It's not Northern. We're just playing what ifs. Also, MAQs usually carry a higher price tag than PFs. With a character as popular as Mags, it isn't a stretch to believe SSC would want to capitalize on that.

We'll just have to see what SSC has in store for Mags. However, look at the price point on the last 3 Harbottle sculpts. Sonja set a new bar, then came Deadpool to raise it, and last we have Thanos who obliterate it. I have to wonder what's going to happen with Mags pricing if the Harbottle trend continues.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #120
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
I know

I was being sarcastic.
I figured
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote