Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 12-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #891
Atrana23
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myskye23 View Post
I may be one of a few crazy people here who got into statue collecting because 'I liked them' and not as a valued investment. To be completely honest, I knew nothing about these statues 2 years ago and I was introduced to them by my best friend and after that, I learned the differences between Polystone, Resin and PVC statues from all you fine people here on the Forum Lol.

I collect these statues because they give me a sense of Nostalgia from my childhood, and I guess that's the ONLY REAL Rhyme and Reason I have and I never concerned myself too much with Edition Sizes. I grew up reading comic books, watching Saturday morning cartoons and now I'm finally able to afford all my Super Heroes to be enshrined in Plexiglass Cabinets (Wife still thinks they're Dolls! smh). I may be wrong but I think we all started off collecting these statues because we had an affinity for these characters when we were kids, but somehow some of us got lost somewhere between ES, Sculpted Capes vs Fabric Capes, and arguments over which or what is better.

I definitely enjoy the discussions here though. It's nothing like being a part of a 'Dysfunctional Family' that cares and loves the same things, but we all just choose to express our feelings differently. AND YES ... I got the Sculpted Cape Superman on PO, not because it was better than the Fabric Cape .. it was a better choice for ME, and to all the Fabric Cape People. You guys / gals made the right choice as well.
Similar background as well. Newer to collecting and the learning curve is steep. I am not a flipper and only sell pieces at cost or below if I need to. You are right in buying things that are endearing or special to you. However there still must be a cap if one is identifying something as a collectable and attributing an ES. Just scrap the ES then and make them just like toys in as many as will sell. The congruence to the downfall of comics cannot be dismissed. I also collected comics and most definitely people should buy any piece that means something to them. Call me insane but we will be spending 1000 for the Prime 1 Superman, I also took the sculpted for personal preference only, however if they decided to make 2000 more of them I would rather spend my money on a custom and buy this later on at a discount. I think many of us explore the custom scene for the very reasons that we are discussing. This is a strange and addictive hobby. The research and narrowing down of what pieces I must have is half the fun. In the end the most salient point made is not an expectation to make money selling statues but when time comes to sell something to get another piece the market is saturated. So the notion of holding value as a collectable is no longer a relevant aspect of the hobby.
Atrana23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:00 PM   #892
letsroy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I love the characters as well, that's the reason why I buy statues but I also love the hobby.

Big ESs can be a huge problem for this hobby IMO.

Some people tend to attack this kind of arguments saying that we enjoy the exclusivity feeling more than the statue itself and, at least in my case, that is not true. I don't give a f**** about exclusivity, the cool thing of the hobby are the statues.

I bought Superman Fabric cape because is obviously the best version, just kidding haha. I bought it because I think it is cool you can turn superman around the base, convenient by the way. I knew Sculpted version was more "what it suppose you should buy" but that is not the game for me, I buy what I like.

What I mean is that I don't think about myself as a snob guy who wants to have what nobody can in order to feel I am special... and even though I still think big ESs are a problem in the long game of this hobby.
letsroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #893
myskye23
Hellboy

Atrana23 and letsroy, you two make really great points and I can definitely see the reasonings behind not wanting the large ES. I also started to notice trends on eBay whenever a new statue is announced or the older statues had a large ES, the older statues dip in price and I could get them relatively cheaper than retail (Yep .. just learned that one 3 months ago! Lol).Through a fault, I think I'm still wet behind the ears when it comes to fully understanding how all the statue market works and I'm still learning the nuances of what to buy and when to buy (PO Now or PO Later). Currently, I just rely on my emotional attachments and the 'Wow Factor' and what available funds I have at the time to click on that Pre-Order Button.
myskye23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #894
Omegaplex
The Herculoids

These days, when I buy a collectible peace I assume it will be worth absolutely zero after I buy it. I've been collecting a lot of things for long enough to know that the resale Market is generally trash for just about any of these luxury goods. My simple Mantra is, if I like it enough to pay for the asking price, I buy it. That's it. Maybe someday I'll have to give it away, or if I am really lucky it might be worth something, but even thinking about resale value is a road to pain in this industry. I think most people on these boards understand this, luxury Collectibles are an absolutely awful investment. You do it because you love it. Just accept that if you ever choose to sell one of these things you'll probably take a hit on it, you'll be a lot less stressed. And think about why you're selling it - if it was because there's a better version, well, everybody else knows that, too.
Omegaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #895
letsroy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaplex View Post
These days, when I buy a collectible peace I assume it will be worth absolutely zero after I buy it. I've been collecting a lot of things for long enough to know that the resale Market is generally trash for just about any of these luxury goods. My simple Mantra is, if I like it enough to pay for the asking price, I buy it. That's it. Maybe someday I'll have to give it away, or if I am really lucky it might be worth something, but even thinking about resale value is a road to pain in this industry. I think most people on these boards understand this, luxury Collectibles are an absolutely awful investment. You do it because you love it. Just accept that if you ever choose to sell one of these things you'll probably take a hit on it, you'll be a lot less stressed. And think about why you're selling it - if it was because there's a better version, well, everybody else knows that, too.
Absolutely right. Best way to think about this topic. I will keep your words in mind.
letsroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #896
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myskye23 View Post
I may be one of a few crazy people here who got into statue collecting because 'I liked them' and not as a valued investment. To be completely honest, I knew nothing about these statues 2 years ago and I was introduced to them by my best friend and after that, I learned the differences between Polystone, Resin and PVC statues from all you fine people here on the Forum Lol.

I collect these statues because they give me a sense of Nostalgia from my childhood, and I guess that's the ONLY REAL Rhyme and Reason I have and I never concerned myself too much with Edition Sizes. I grew up reading comic books, watching Saturday morning cartoons and now I'm finally able to afford all my Super Heroes to be enshrined in Plexiglass Cabinets (Wife still thinks they're Dolls! smh). I may be wrong but I think we all started off collecting these statues because we had an affinity for these characters when we were kids, but somehow some of us got lost somewhere between ES, Sculpted Capes vs Fabric Capes, and arguments over which or what is better.

I definitely enjoy the discussions here though. It's nothing like being a part of a 'Dysfunctional Family' that cares and loves the same things, but we all just choose to express our feelings differently. AND YES ... I got the Sculpted Cape Superman on PO, not because it was better than the Fabric Cape .. it was a better choice for ME, and to all the Fabric Cape People. You guys / gals made the right choice as well.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:22 AM   #897
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaplex View Post
That may be how things are now and most specifically with these Prime 1 pieces. The aftermarket for 1:3/1:2 is completely different than 1:4 and under. Part of it is due to the high ES on some of these pieces. In fact, for some even a LOW ES is too high. The market for statues at this scale is obviously not very large. Add in the enormous shipping cost (and most of us selling these statues aren't going to be getting price breaks from UPS/USPS) and the hit is going to be huge when sold.

My collection has changed so many times. I've had entire lines on display that have come and gone. There hasn't been anything I've bought with the intention of "flipping". But, in the not too distant past, I could justify almost every statue purchase as an asset that would likely either appreciate or not depreciate much. I didn't really have to do much to justify a purchase. It was money sitting on my shelf. If I ever needed the money for some reason, I knew I could get most of it back (or more). Old statues paid for new ones. The notion that the "old" won't sell because everyone knows the "new" is better isn't supported by history - there is no such thing as a universal "better". Which is better? P1's first Dark Knight Returns statue or their second?

At this point, P1 will end up probably closing out my collecting career once I'm out of room. I am actually now considering bailing on this Hush line and sticking with Arkham statues, then ending my 1:3 collecting. I probably won't end up doing that if I have to lose my NRD (and I do really want this Superman), but if these things start seeing delays, it will cross my mind.
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:19 AM   #898
Omegaplex
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
That may be how things are now and most specifically with these Prime 1 pieces. The aftermarket for 1:3/1:2 is completely different than 1:4 and under. Part of it is due to the high ES on some of these pieces. In fact, for some even a LOW ES is too high. The market for statues at this scale is obviously not very large. Add in the enormous shipping cost (and most of us selling these statues aren't going to be getting price breaks from UPS/USPS) and the hit is going to be huge when sold.

My collection has changed so many times. I've had entire lines on display that have come and gone. There hasn't been anything I've bought with the intention of "flipping". But, in the not too distant past, I could justify almost every statue purchase as an asset that would likely either appreciate or not depreciate much. I didn't really have to do much to justify a purchase. It was money sitting on my shelf. If I ever needed the money for some reason, I knew I could get most of it back (or more). Old statues paid for new ones. The notion that the "old" won't sell because everyone knows the "new" is better isn't supported by history - there is no such thing as a universal "better". Which is better? P1's first Dark Knight Returns statue or their second?

At this point, P1 will end up probably closing out my collecting career once I'm out of room. I am actually now considering bailing on this Hush line and sticking with Arkham statues, then ending my 1:3 collecting. I probably won't end up doing that if I have to lose my NRD (and I do really want this Superman), but if these things start seeing delays, it will cross my mind.
I think the problem with absolute value is that the market gets more and more saturated as the years go by. Just how long do you expect that 1/6 scale Superman to be worth anything when there's three or four more coming in the next year? When it was THE 1/6 scale Superman things were different, but every year there's more and more of pretty much everything. The larger scale pieces aren't quite as saturated, but that's only a matter of time. Depreciation will naturally follow. I don't know, I just don't think about value or resale or any of that. Saves me a lot of hand-wringing and grief
Omegaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:27 PM   #899
Bob Morton
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Hi - was there an ex edition for this statue? Thank you
Bob Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #900
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Morton View Post
Hi - was there an ex edition for this statue? Thank you
Nope, just one sculpted cape edition and one fabric.

Though, you could consider the sculpted cape version the Exclusive since it's both better looking and has a lower ES
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote