Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #24491
statman
Baron Zemo

Aquaman - 8/10

My second favorite of the DCEU movies next to WW. I was very pleasantly surprised as I don't really care for Mamoa (as Aquaman) or the DCEU in general.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #24492
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Un conte de Nöel / A Christmas Tale (2008) - The troubled Vuillard family is no stranger to illness, grief, and banishment, but when their matriarch requires a bone-marrow transplant, the estranged clan reunites just in time for Christmas.

I like to save my favorite Christmas movie for viewing on Christmas Eve. 10/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #24493
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent23 View Post
You and I like a lot of the same movies. So when you recommended something I usually try to watch it. Your strong review of this one led me to a blind buy. I’ll let you know what I think.
Yes, please post your review here later. Everyone I know who has seen it thinks it's very good.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:14 PM   #24494
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Aquaman 9/10
This is how you make a superhero film. Beautiful visuals fantastic, action sequences, romance, emotion, great framing of shot to make characters actually appear heroic...etc.
DC can deliver when they want vis a vis Aquaman and Wonder Woman. (Not sure why they can't get Supes or Bats right but whatever)
I will be going back for a second viewing ASAP. The only gripe I have is the odd music choices and timing of said music, but the fact that they don't beat you over the head with the environmental message and the fact they don't insert unfunny or oddly timed comedy for no reason does somewhat override my dislike of the sound track.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:30 AM   #24495
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Some movies that I watched recently:

Aquaman (2018): Arthur Curry learns that he is the heir to the underwater kingdom of Atlantis, and must step forward to lead his people and be a hero to the world

Aquaman is one of my favourite heroes and I was confident that I would have fun even though I'm not a big James Wan fan. The movie definitely has some cool action scenes and the best part of it is how great the worldbuilding is, it's gorgeous and all feels alive on the screen. Unfortunetely, all else is average at best. Mainly bad acting (besides Patrick Wilson, who is great), wrong music at the wrong times, bad dialogue, forced romance and the worst for me is the tone. Felt like it was trying to be a lot of different genres at the same time and it didn't really work for me. I still had fun and I give it a 3/5 because it was never the intent of the movie to be more than a superhero blockbuster, and if you go without big expectations you will probably have a good time at the cinema.

The Warriors (1979):In the near future, a charismatic leader summons the street gangs of New York City in a bid to take it over. When he is killed, The Warriors are falsely blamed and now must fight their way home while every other gang is hunting them down.

I first watched it around 10 years ago and this was my first time rewatching it. I still really like the whole thing. It's all really well done: the awesome radio sequences, some great one liners, a great job giving personality for all the different characters etc. "Can... you... dig It?". 4/5

Apostle (2018): In 1905, a drifter on a dangerous mission to rescue his kidnapped sister tangles with a sinister religious cult on an isolated island.

it's been a while since I wanted to watch it and I finally had some time. Great horror movie. Gareth Evans is mostly known for his work in "The Raid" series and is showing to be a very interesting director. There are a lot to like here, from some creative horror sequences to a competent character development, but what really steals the show is the great atmosphere he manages to create in a desert island. Folk/rural horror is my favourite horror sub-genre and the movie has a lot of "The Wicker Man" in it, so it's a movie that grabbed my attention from the start. One of my favourite movies of the year. 4/5

Jesse Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:58 AM   #24496
Chargersfan57
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Aquaman- 7.8/10

I found it to be a good movie but not a great movie. I'd agree with a lot of what I heard before watching it. That while it wasn't amazing, the story just ok, and the dialog silly at times, it was an overall fun movie.

I think a lot of the art direction for the underwater scenes were fantastic, but I still think there were times the cgi was evident. Sometimes things looked fake.

My favorite fight by far was the beginning fight in the sub. You could tell very little cgi if any were used and all the impacts felt real and powerful. Contrast that to the fight in the fire circle and everything looked a lot more computer generated. Which in turn made the combat lacking in any real visceral feeling of power. The acrobatic movements were cool and all but there was far less weight involved in the fight. It didn't feel as real.

The human moments where great though. I loved when he was talking to Orm before the fight letting him know he dreamed of the day that he would get to meet his little brother.

I loved his dad and the bar scene. The scenes in the beginning at the house with his dad and mom where very well done.

Overall it was a fun movie that I'd like to see again, but doesn't blow me out of the "water"

After the first viewing I'd say it's leagues better than BVS, Justice league, and the crap that was Suicide Squad, but it may be just under WW and MoS for me. I'd have to rewatch those 3 again to determine ranking.
Chargersfan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #24497
Python
Omega Red

Mission Impossible: Fallout 8/10

As others on here suggested, I did enjoy this one. Although I do like Rogue Nation more. I think I need to give this a second watch as the hype train hit me a little too hard before I watched it which left it in an unreasonable position. I suspect I will appreciate it even more on a second viewing.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #24498
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

aquaman 7/10 probably the best DC movie for me. But still seems like they were rushing it in the first half of the movie and there were a lot of really cheesy lines in it. Too cheesy for me.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #24499
ParisDean

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

It wasn't nearly as bad as some fans made it out to be. I can see how the droid L3-37 could have annoyed some people, but I thought she was funny--not much different than K-2SO in Rogue One or C-3PO. Maybe it's because I like the actress Phoebe Waller-Bridge from the TV show Fleabag who voiced L3. 6/10
Old 12-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #24500
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
Wild Strawberries (1957): truly a classic and one of Bergman's finest films. Victor Sjöström delivers a powerful performance in what is a very sensible, beautiful and important piece of cinema. 5/5

I agree completely. I love Bergman and love this movie.