Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Costume Corner

Old 08-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
dr_teng

Dr_Teng's upcoming projects

Figured I'd post up a bit of progress on some costume projects I'm working on! The Tron one was intended for Dragoncon but between a few medical issues (not mine but my partner in crime), a dreaded summer cold, and this upcoming hurricane, it might be delayed.

The other one is the sniper rifle from Mass Effect, it's an unpainted commission me and my buddy did for a friend with our 3d printer. I'm planning a Mass Effect costume but that won't be for a few months and it'll be with the M8 assault rifle.

Here's a cell phone shot of my modded Tron disc :

Completely redone lighting system and more accurate colour, the original toy discs were kind of garbage in that regard (as you can see in the comparison). I'm working on a second one and making some more modifications to my first to make it more accurate.

Some more shots over here.

3d printer is proving super handy but man, it's a lot of work! Tons of finishing work to make everything look right.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
SNIKT
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

wow that's extremely impressive.. is that an older 3d printing machine? I'm just curious cause I've never seen one that looked like that
SNIKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
dr_teng

Thanks! As for the 3d printer, nah it's not an older one, it's a reprap mendel, which is an open source 3d printer and always improving. It's really nice although when an affordable higher-resolution one is available, it'll likely be upgraded so there's a lot less cleanup work after printing.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Cool stuff, Teng!
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Lawnknome
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

how much do those printers cost? Ive wanted one for a couple years now
Lawnknome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
dr_teng

rilynil : Thanks pal! It'll be much cooler when I have the full costumes done as well.

Lawnknome : The cost varies a lot, I believe you can make some of the Makerbot models for a fair bit under a grand but they didn't suit our needs. Ours cost maybe...$1200? But we ran into some major issues and had to spend a few hundred extra for repairs. It's not that they're necessarily that expensive so much as it's a VERY enthusiast heavy field so you'll need to maintain a lot of things yourself.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
SNIKT
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
Thanks! As for the 3d printer, nah it's not an older one, it's a reprap mendel, which is an open source 3d printer and always improving. It's really nice although when an affordable higher-resolution one is available, it'll likely be upgraded so there's a lot less cleanup work after printing.
Thanks for the info.. looks really good
SNIKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
dr_teng

I'm going to be lazy and just direct link this instead of rehosting/resizing it.

Me as Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid during NYCC. Didn't have enough space in my bags to bring my ammo pouches/rappel harness. Next time!

Tron stuff that me and the lady were supposed to be wearing ran into lighting difficulties so that's going to be a while. I was supposed to have Wolverine finished for NYCC as well but that didn't quite work out. SOON ENOUGH.

On the plus side, I have a bunch of ladies that'll be my USO girls for an upcoming Captain America costume in a few months (which is going to take roughly : forever).
Old 10-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
risingstar
Jedi Order

That's a great costume, Tengie! While on the subject of costumes (I apologize in advance for the thread derail as I couldn't help myself... lol), my daughter absolutely loves getting dreased in costumes too. She dressed up as Supergirl at a recent Montreal con (where she had a blast -- and got to meet Stan Lee!). She's dressing up as Batgirl for Halloween.

We have several other costumes too, e.g., a Snow White (where she totally looks the part), a Star Trek Next Generation uniform, a witch, a pirate, and several princess costumes.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
dr_teng

Haha, that's more than alright, those are some adorable pictures!