Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-02-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
abubakarhimself
Justice League

Casting Call Revisited: X-Men

Back in 1995, teenage me picked up my first ever wizard magazine and one of the articles in there was what I came to learn was their very first casting call, an article where their writers and editors came up with a list of actors of that time who they saw could play characters from the X-Men.

To say the entertainment media landscape has changed since then would be a massive understatement but the idea of fan casting has prevailed.

As a homage to that 25 year old piece here is my list of actors and actresses who I feel would be great in these roles.

Characters listed in the original Wizard article
Professor Xavier - Mark Strong
Bishop - Ricky Whittle
Colossus - CGI/Mocap, Stefan Kapičić (Voice)*
Cyclops - Brenton Thwaites
Storm - Beyonce
Gambit - Aidan Turner
Jean Grey - Eleanor Tomlinson
Psylocke - Olivia Munn*
Cable - Kyle Chandler
Magneto - Christoph Waltz
Sabretooth - Jason Momoa
Emma Frost - Alice Eve
Juggernaut - CGI/Mocap, Ryan Reynolds (Voice)*
Wolverine - Frank Grillo

But lets not forget..
Rogue - Alexandra Daddario
Henry McCoy - CGI/Mocap, Jeffrey Wright (Voice)

If anything this list just proves why I'll never make it as a casting agent. So what do you guys think?

*Kept these guys in from the previous films because my stay-home-ordered brain was beginning to doze off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Casting Call X Men.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	130172  

Last edited by abubakarhimself; 05-03-2020 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Swatted typos and added a visual reference
abubakarhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #2
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Won’t lie, I’d have to give thought to other characters - but while Beyoncé might have a nice look for Storm that is the Halle Berry sh!show waiting to happen. Casting for name and not acting skills.

Lupita N’Yongo would have been amazing, but can’t do it bc she is already in Black Panther.

For a younger casting, I really like Tati Gabrille. She plays Prudence on Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Scar Jo was playing Black Widow 10 year ago, so we have to have a mid-20s cast if they are going to do a long haul XMen run.

My biggest worry is they are going to try to tie Storm into Black Panther before the XMen. Totally BS. She is an XMan. Not some sidekick to the king of Wakanda.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Won’t lie, I’d have to give thought to other characters - but while Beyoncé might have a nice look for Storm that is the Halle Berry sh!show waiting to happen. Casting for name and not acting skills.

Lupita N’Yongo would have been amazing, but can’t do it bc she is already in Black Panther.

For a younger casting, I really like Tati Gabrille. She plays Prudence on Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Scar Jo was playing Black Widow 10 year ago, so we have to have a mid-20s cast if they are going to do a long haul XMen run.

My biggest worry is they are going to try to tie Storm into Black Panther before the XMen. Totally BS. She is an XMan. Not some sidekick to the king of Wakanda.
Agreed. I much prefer Storm as an X-Man and not a sidekick...she's too cool for that!
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:45 PM   #4
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:

Tati Gabrielle would be amazing.

Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:08 AM   #5
abubakarhimself
Justice League

Quote:
While Beyoncé might have a nice look for Storm that is the Halle Berry sh!show waiting to happen. Casting for name and not acting skills.
Hahahaha I was going to go with Ella Balinksa but in my image search I found that absolutely ridiculous image of Beyonce as storm and went with it!

And in Halle's defence, she didnt really have much to work with, and what she did have she had to deliver in a questionable accent.

Didnt help that direction Halle was given was to play Storm more 90s romcom background character and not the dignified beauty that most fans know her to be. When shes not stuck in tight spaces that is.

Quote:
Hehe I'm not sure how they are going to introduce the mutants but I'm fairly certain I won't agree with some of the choices - and I can live with that as long as they give us some decent costumes! I hated singer's art direction. I was disappointed when fox announced he was coming back to the franchise that I refused to watch Days of future past til last year.
abubakarhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Tati Gabrielle would be amazing.

Yes please! She would look incredible as Storm.

NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #7
Augen
The Hulk

Frank Grillo is older than Hugh Jackman so I'd be surprised by that. I'm guessing they'll go with someone in their 30s (like Brenton Twaites for Cyclops there) to get a good decade or so out of them if needed.

I agree Munn always looked like Psylocke to me even if she wasn't used much I'd buy a statue of her if done well.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote