Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
cblakey1
Cyclops

If an eBaY buyer reverses charges on a PayPal cc transaction am I screwed?

I'm currently being scammed by a buyer who's trying to take me for over $500.00 in Elvira statues and I have escalated the claim that they filed.

They sent me the following message:

"Dear cblakey1,

Okay...so that was a nasty trick. You escalated before I can place the tracking for your return. Fine....if this goes in your favor due to the fact that you couldn't wait for tracking, I will be placing a chargeback with my credit card company."

It's weird because I'm just waiting for them to return the item. I've done everything I'm supposed to do and of course eBaY is of no help at all.

My question is.. is there something I can do proactively to stop this fraud?

If anyone here sells on eBaY, be sure to add wallyworld100gmx to your blocked bidder list.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
johnclone
The Enchantress

videotape your receiving the return and opening it up for inspection. Make sure it is all one continuous shot. (that's all I can think of that might be good advice)
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Clear your paypal account and advise your bank/credit card company to not pay anything further to Paypal.
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

You're ufcked and in a bad way I would do what Dan says the worst thing is Ebay and Paypal closing your account.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Teague
Iron Man

Sorry to hear this is happening, man. This is the same person that's screwed me out of the piece I sold and sent them.

Here's hoping they get what's coming to them.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
videotape your receiving the return and opening it up for inspection. Make sure it is all one continuous shot. (that's all I can think of that might be good advice)
If it comes back and that's a big IF I'm going to open it in front of my Postmaster friend and verify the weight/price to return it vs. the weight/price to send just in case the idiot decides to send empty boxes back.

Dan and Odin, your suggestions sound good in theory, but I'm not about to risk being an awesome seller/buyer since '99 on one thieving fool. Look, they posted a neg on both pieces and with one call to eBaY (albeit a 2 hour call) I got the negs removed.

The 5 bills is basically lunch money and I'm pursuing this just out of principle now. I'm tired of getting boned by scammers. They think they can pull this crap and get their money back no questions, but they screwed with the wrong person now.

Also, the eBaY customer rep (Supervisor) I spoke with said the buyer is under investigation. When all is said and done, I could be covered by Seller protection for up to $200.00 with PayPal so I'll hopefully be getting something back in the end.

Teague - Glad your call was met with positive results. I messaged that other seller (the Jeweler) and asked them to do the same.

I have Trust and Safety on the horn now. We're gonna screw this scammer back for sure.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Kingofthehill78
King Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1 View Post
If it comes back and that's a big IF I'm going to open it in front of my Postmaster friend and verify the weight/price to return it vs. the weight/price to send just in case the idiot decides to send empty boxes back.

Dan and Odin, your suggestions sound good in theory, but I'm not about to risk being an awesome seller/buyer since '99 on one thieving fool. Look, they posted a neg on both pieces and with one call to eBaY (albeit a 2 hour call) I got the negs removed.

The 5 bills is basically lunch money and I'm pursuing this just out of principle now. I'm tired of getting boned by scammers. They think they can pull this crap and get their money back no questions, but they screwed with the wrong person now.

Also, the eBaY customer rep (Supervisor) I spoke with said the buyer is under investigation. When all is said and done, I could be covered by Seller protection for up to $200.00 with PayPal so I'll hopefully be getting something back in the end.

Teague - Glad your call was met with positive results. I messaged that other seller (the Jeweler) and asked them to do the same.

I have Trust and Safety on the horn now. We're gonna screw this scammer back for sure.
I'm sad to hear about this. Unless eBay changes their rules this will continue to happen. We should start a thread to warn others about scam buyers ( a sticky would be great) damn scammers!
Kingofthehill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #8
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

If the same buyer pulled the same stunt on Teague then get all the details from Teague. If the buyer shows signs of being a repeat offender then maybe it'll help in your defence?

And it sucks that eBay doesn't take in to account the fact that you've years of excellent service over some ass.
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Lebou View Post
If the same buyer pulled the same stunt on Teague then get all the details from Teague. If the buyer shows signs of being a repeat offender then maybe it'll help in your defence?

And it sucks that eBay doesn't take in to account the fact that you've years of excellent service over some ass.
Yeah, me, Teague and another seller pretty much had the buyer suspended pending investigation.

The weird thing is, I shipped to their confirmed PayPal address in CA (2 pieces - 1 box) and the scammer is shipping (2 boxes )from their eBaY address in FL that they told me is no longer relevant because they've moved. I can't imagine what they are sending back. I'm taking bets.. empty boxes or completely different items?

The third seller involved is filing all kinds of stuff with USPS. They are very relentless and not letting this go. Their item was a $50.00 Bewitched Tooned Up statue. I'm gonna try to jump in on the USPS thing too.

Also, the other seller told me that the buyer can't reverse the cc payment without proving to their cc company their claim. Is that true?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1 View Post
Yeah, me, Teague and another seller pretty much had the buyer suspended pending investigation.

The weird thing is, I shipped to their confirmed PayPal address in CA (2 pieces - 1 box) and the scammer is shipping (2 boxes )from their eBaY address in FL that they told me is no longer relevant because they've moved. I can't imagine what they are sending back. I'm taking bets.. empty boxes or completely different items?

The third seller involved is filing all kinds of stuff with USPS. They are very relentless and not letting this go. Their item was a $50.00 Bewitched Tooned Up statue. I'm gonna try to jump in on the USPS thing too.
Keep me posted on the USPS thing, too--I'd love to help nail this person to the wall.

Maybe you'll get my Superman maquette back in the boxes they're sending back? It would make about as much sense as any of this.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote