Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Lightbulb Artist/character combinations you'd like to see

In a previous topic I posted, we talked about fans pigeonholing creators into doing nothing but the same characters over and over again. But this time I want to take a different tack...let's come up with ideas for artists drawing characters they either haven't done before, or haven't done much of. It could be a case of the artist's style being absolutely perfect for the character in question, or seeing the character in question drawn in a new, fresh way. So let's take a swing at this. All bets are off here, even if you could never afford the artist in a month of Sundays.

Here's a few of my picks:

Superman - honestly, he's been done by nearly everybody in every conventional comic book art style, so for me I'd like to see radically different takes on him. On the comic artist's side, I'd like to see John Romita Jr. do him, either as a commission or even a pinup for sale. I'd also like to see a straight-up manga Superman from the likes of Asamiya, Shirow, Natsume, or any of the manga heavy hitters. And admittedly, I've always wanted to see what Superman would look like as a Disney character, so for me Brianna Garcia (Deviant Art's bri-chan and an artist for Disneyland) or former Disney animator Jennifer Oliver would be ideal for the task. Basically the idea here would be to depict him as you may not have seen him before.

He-Man - the floodgates are wide open, given that there's so many comic book artists who haven't drawn him before. I own a terrific Darryl Banks sketch of him and plan to commission him for a more lavish piece, but the list of superhero artists who'd rock the house on him would be endless. Kerry Gammill, Steven Butler, Ron Lim, Mark Bagley, Paul Pelletier, Mike McKone, Alex Saviuk, Chris Stevens, Dan Jurgens, Phil Jimenez, Mike Allred, Jerry Ordway, Ian Churchill, George Perez, Tom Grummett, Tom Lyle, Chris Sprouse, Doug Mahnke...honestly, I'd even like to see John Byrne take a swing at him. Just to see how it would be. I think the sky's the limit with him.

Flash Gordon - same as He-Man. This guy is made for superhero art, and there's no limit to the range of artists who could tackle him.

Space Ghost - Byrne. Given his love of the old school, this just seems like it would be a perfect fit.

The Flash - Norm Breyfogle. That animated, flowing style of his would really work wonders on a guy who can move at ludicrous speeds.

Green Hornet - my first thought is "go pulpy" with him. Mike Kaluta, Guy Davis, Michael Peters, Jeremy Bastian, David Peterson...I could even see Kevin Nowlan taking a go at him. However, I'd still like to see EVS do him in at least a head shot or something.

Lone Ranger - same as Green Hornet. Again, I'm thinking pulpy.

The Shadow - Nowlan, even if it's just as an inker. His style doesn't work for every character, but on this one it would click.

Darth Vader - Franchesco. Given the lavish detail he brings to his cheesecake art, imagine what he could do with a frantic action piece. And Vader would be a huge change of pace for him.

I'll stop there for now. Anyone have their picks to share?
greenjeans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
statman
Baron Zemo

I'd love to see Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis on Iron Man.

How about Brubaker and Epting on Batman.
statman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I'd love to see Dan Brereton do a story with Etrigan.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Ginchy
I am da law!

I want that Brubaker/Fraction/Aja team back on Iron Fist. I absolutely loved their run. It was gone far too quick.
Ginchy is offline   Reply With Quote