Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Thumbs down

I ordered a She-Hulk montage from John Byrne. This is how it turned out, this would be $1,800 but I am turning it down. Here is the pic of it over a Byrnes forum. Read some of the comments they all love it.

I think Savage She-Hulk has no muscle tone, and looks like a cartoon. I think the central image is anerexic, and losing some of her hair. I think the Sen She-Hulk cover image she looks a little chubby. Plus the breasts are bigger in the two small pictures then the main image. I was very disapointed.

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/f...823&PN=2&TPN=1
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

$1800 for that damn.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #3
Primal
Batman

Dont you know Byrne is a shadow of what he used to be?

And from what I've seen this is a lot better than some of his current stuff.

I think you're looking bad if you back out now after commissioning a piece based on his current talent.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

never pay that much for a commission, I can see why you would be upset with the overall results
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
Underdog07
Hercules

I kinda like it - but then I am just looking at it, not paying anything for it.

I have never purchased a commission. Isn't a commision by its very nature not subject to approval after completion? Meaning you get what you get and have to pay for it?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #6
rychehitman
Galactus

that piece is pretty bad...Savage She Hulk looks really bad..look closely at the legs and feet. The center figure is disproportioned as well.

How does the montage commission work? Did you desctribe exactly what you wanted? Did you give a deposit? Do you now HAVE to buy it?
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
Do you now HAVE to buy it?
That is basically my question. I know what the answer is from a legal contract position, but I am curious about whether there is a general understanding as to the commission process which would alter that.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #8
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

I offered to buy it with a little discount. The agent said that John does not want to discount the pieces. But he said that I did not have to buy it if I did not like it.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
Royd
Producer
Producer

Hey MB,

I preface my comments by stating that while I grew up on John Byrne's work and have very fond memories of that work, I am not a member of the Byrne board. I should also add that the way I interpret the image will likely differ from others as such material is very subjective.

Having said that, I initially saw this piece in a separate thread by Immovable Blob and thought it was a very cool commission. The depictions of the various incarnations of She-Hulk appear to show her at different stages of her life and seem consistent with how the character appeared at the time. I also like the way in which John has incorporated memorable images (battle scenes) into the piece together with fun images like the cover to Sensational.

Personally, I really liked the image and if I had that sort of money available, I would be asking about its availability but I don't The pricing doesn't seem unreasonable for the piece but you obviously have to be happy with it first if you wish to complete the purchase. Regards,

Royd
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:16 PM   #10
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
that piece is pretty bad...Savage She Hulk looks really bad..look closely at the legs and feet. The center figure is disproportioned as well.

How does the montage commission work? Did you desctribe exactly what you wanted? Did you give a deposit? Do you now HAVE to buy it?
I described who I wanted and the scenes. He came up with the layouts. It's $1100 for a fullfigure and background. Then all the little figures cost $100 each. No deposit.... My last one turned out good. I thought this being She-Hulk that he would do a good job, but he did not.