Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 02-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
cyberpunk12
Shadowhawk

Best way to ship art... Advice?

I hope to be shipping a lot of art (original art, prints, and lithos) in the near future and I'm looking for advice on best shipping practices.

I've sent prints rolled in tubes inside USPS mailers before with success but I've received some that didn't do as well. I realize that while it's probably the easiest and cheapest way, it's probably not the most preferable... definitely with art of any value.

A little Googling has led me to think I may want to use a clear plastic bag, taped to a sheet of cardboard, reinforced with other sheets of cardboard, and taped together.

What do you guys think? I know there's a lot of experience around here and I'd appreciate your thoughts.

-Mike
cyberpunk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Unfortunately, the best way of shipping artwork isn't cheap. It requires buying the right materials from the get go to make sure stuff arrives safely.

I purchase bags from Bags Unlimited, which is also where I buy Mylar Sleeves to store some of my oversized artwork.

Like you said, I put the artwork in a bag, tape that to a sturdy piece of cardboard, put a few more pieces of cardboard around that to really give it some strength, and then put that into a large, jiffy pad mailer. It can cost upwards of $10 in supplies doing it like this, but it gets there safe. I also try to scavenge as much cardboard as I can from wherever I find it.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Fat Head
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

If you opt to ship via FedEx, they have white boxes for their express shipments that they don't charge for. The "Large" sized box fits an 11x17 page perfectly when fully assembled, so you don't need to used a flattened box and hope it doesn't bend. You could probably put it in a plastic bag or mylar sleeve then inbetween some cardboard or something for added protection.
Fat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
cyberpunk12
Shadowhawk

Drew, I agree with you... I'd rather spend the extra time, money, and effort to get them there in good shape. I've bookmarked the site and will order some tonight. We just got in sixty new computers at work so I should be able to run wild on free cardboard that can be cut to various sizes.

Chris, do you recommend FedEx over USPS or UPS? What about you Drew?

Thanks for the responses gents... I really do appreciate it!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Fat Head
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I personally recommend FedEx over the other two. I like it because I can track my packages, the boxes fit the art perfectly (i'm not a fan of the flattened box with "do not bend" written on it, too easy to bend by accident) and I haven't had a bad experience with them yet. If I couldn't ship FedEx for whatever reason, USPS is an acceptable alternative.

I'd sooner walk the piece wherever it's going before I shipped it UPS though. I have never recieved a package from UPS (and unfortunately I've recieved quite a few) that wasn't smashed to hell. I even got a SOLID tube from them once that they managed to bend in half, the kind of thick tube that you need to put A LOT of effort into damaging. I wouldn't trust them to ship a pet rock encased in 3 inches of styrofoam.....they'd still find a way to damage it.

I know some of you have had delivery issues with fedex (like the driver not waiting for you to get to the door) but personally I'd rather have to go to a location to get a package in one piece then have it brought to my house in two.
Fat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
cyberpunk12
Shadowhawk

On that note, I'll be stopping at a FedEx shipping center over the weekend to check on shipping supplies and rates. I've never used them before but it looks like I will soon.

Like you, my worst receiving experiences have been at the hands of UPS... I picture the opening scene of Ace Ventura whenever I think of them:

YouTube - Ace Ventura: Pet Detective "HDS Delivery Man"
Old 02-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Unfortunately, the best way of shipping artwork isn't cheap. It requires buying the right materials from the get go to make sure stuff arrives safely.

I purchase bags from Bags Unlimited, which is also where I buy Mylar Sleeves to store some of my oversized artwork.

Like you said, I put the artwork in a bag, tape that to a sturdy piece of cardboard, put a few more pieces of cardboard around that to really give it some strength, and then put that into a large, jiffy pad mailer. It can cost upwards of $10 in supplies doing it like this, but it gets there safe. I also try to scavenge as much cardboard as I can from wherever I find it.

All of that is good until the USPS man throws your Perez art in a puddle in the drive way durring a rainstorm and it sits there for 4 hours until you get home. This happened today, even with the plastic mylar water seeped into the top of the page and warped it all to hell. I am so pissed, it's been raining all day why would they do that...
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
All of that is good until the USPS man throws your Perez art in a puddle in the drive way durring a rainstorm and it sits there for 4 hours until you get home. This happened today, even with the plastic mylar water seeped into the top of the page and warped it all to hell. I am so pissed, it's been raining all day why would they do that...
Damn! Sorry to hear that.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpunk12 View Post
I hope to be shipping a lot of art (original art, prints, and lithos) in the near future and I'm looking for advice on best shipping practices.

I've sent prints rolled in tubes inside USPS mailers before with success but I've received some that didn't do as well. I realize that while it's probably the easiest and cheapest way, it's probably not the most preferable... definitely with art of any value.

A little Googling has led me to think I may want to use a clear plastic bag, taped to a sheet of cardboard, reinforced with other sheets of cardboard, and taped together.

What do you guys think? I know there's a lot of experience around here and I'd appreciate your thoughts.

-Mike
Ask Fred Flintstone here on the boards!
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
Avenger
Galactus

Trust me reinforce it has much as possible
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote