Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-29-2019, 10:24 PM   #41
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I read some of Neal Adams Batman, i have Neal Adam HCs... but i haven't read all of it ofcourse. I painfuly went through the first one... Batman and Superman were playing wheel of fortune while robin and jimmy olsen were stalking them... I was like what the hell just i read, and dropped it. May be i should have just endured and go on, may be 3rd HC was dark... But i don't think it's as imperesive as The Dark Knight Returns or Year One. If you don't like The Dark Knight Returns and Year One, you are no Batman fan. (this is to you Gothamite) Today every new comer's first three stories are TDKR, Year One and Killing Joke and those are cream de la cream of Batman. No new comer goes for Dennis O'Neil stuff. I don't even hear his name anymore (except in here from you, WKTF) Sorry but even if i haven't read them yet, i don't think O'Neil stories are as good as Millers when the stuation is like this.

PS. Superman Year One Issue # 1 is 8 dolars + tax.... :O WTF... I don't pay that much for a single issue... So i didn't get it... Even if I really like Frank Miller. That price is crazy, almost a TPB price for a single issue... :O I may have have got it, if i don't have to pay 100$ as tax for my 4 action figures order... But... That tax just kills the budget, these taxes are killing me... I pay 100$ tax for just 4 1:12 action figures... T_T
Have you read the Dennis O’Neil work with Neal Adams on art? If not, start there in your HC collection. The volumes I have are three separate volumes. I don’t have the one volume omnibus, which collects most of the same content.

The point here is not whether anyone else, especially “new comers” who won’t have enough Batman history under their belts to render a credible historical opinion, mentions O’Neil’s work in the same breath as DKR, Year One and Killing Joke. The point is, there was a dark and grim Batman before Miller’s work, and that the O’Neil/Adams run was the inspiration for Miller’s work. So much so, in fact, that when Miller came to NYC from his home in Vermont, he sought out Neal Adams for him to personally critique and help Miller develop his work before he even broke into the comic book business.

Do yourself a favor, if you really love Batman as you claim, and read the O’Neil/Adams run.

Last edited by wktf; 06-30-2019 at 02:14 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:12 PM   #42
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Nice. I'm glad that Tom King will complete his story in some way.

Now, DC should totaly restart Batman from issue 1 after issue 85 of Tom King run and bring in Bendis but if Bendis will come, he should quit at least Superman. When he writes so many titles, they say he's not very good... I only read his Daredevil and some of his Ultimate Spider-Man. DD was extraordinary, Spider was good. His DD Run's my favorite Daredevil run. That's why i want him on Batman eversince.
I agree with you. His DD run is 2 or maybe third best. Either way it’s rare space. Love his DD. I wonder how cool his Batman would be.

Matt is just really special you know? His Matt side has as much drama as the hornhead side lol
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:14 PM   #43
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Have you read the Dennis O’Neil work with Neal Adams on art? If not, start there in your HC collection. The volumes I have are three separate volumes. I don’t have the one volume omnibus, which collects most of the same content.

The point here is not whether anyone else, especially “new comers” who won’t have enough Batman history under their belts to render a credible historical opinion, mentions O’Neil’s work in the same breath as DKR, Year One and Killing Joke. The point is, there was a dark and grim Batman before Miller’s work, and that the O’Neil/Adams run was the inspiration for Miller’s work. So much so, in fact, that when Miller came to NYC from his home in Vermont, he sought out Neil Adams for him to personally critique and help Miller develop his work before he even broke into the comic book business.

Do yourself a favor, if you really love Batman as you claim, and read the O’Neil/Adams run.
Thanks for that Joe, I didn’t know that. Interesting!

I still haven’t read O’Neil- Adams but I’m about to look for a trade right now! I always thought Batman was corny until Miller. Happy to read some other dark tales.

Also a big fan of Moench and Jones, probably my favorite Bat duo
Old 06-29-2019, 11:17 PM   #44
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Miller made moody Batman so cool, writers cant even get OUT of the Moody Batman business!

I hate the way he’s written against Supes. He treats Clark like a d!ck - shouldn’t be that way all the damn time
Old 06-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #45
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post

The point here is not whether anyone else, especially “new comers” who won’t have enough Batman history under their belts to render a credible historical opinion, mentions O’Neil’s work in the same breath as DKR, Year One and Killing Joke. The point is, there was a dark and grim Batman before Miller’s work, and that the O’Neil/Adams run was the inspiration for Miller’s work. So much so, in fact, that when Miller came to NYC from his home in Vermont, he sought out Neal Adams for him to personally critique and help Miller develop his work before he even broke into the comic book business.

Are you kidding me, i love batman like my father loves my mother on sunday mornings He's my favorite. I will read O'Neil issues, ok.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:07 AM   #46
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
Miller made moody Batman so cool, writers cant even get OUT of the Moody Batman business!

I hate the way he’s written against Supes. He treats Clark like a d!ck - shouldn’t be that way all the damn time
Well, Clark deserves that as a goverment tool in TDKR. All Star Batman though.... All Star Batman was a bad guy with a big ego beating up other bad guys... One of them turned against them All Justice League was like 15 years olds on sugar rush... lol I enjoyed that book though, i laugh out loud when i read it.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #47
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Are you kidding me, i love batman like my father loves my mother on sunday mornings He's my favorite. I will read O'Neil issues, ok.
Good. You claim people who don’t love Miller’s Batman don’t love Batman. I’d never make the claim that people should love something, but a Batman fan should read the O’Neil/Adams Batman run to experience a pivotal and defining period in the character’s history, when he returned to his roots wan The Dark Knight long before Frank Miller.

And, actually, you also should read Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers’ run, in Detective Comics, which also came before Frank Miller.

This HC volume comes out in January, but you can find TPBs of their work, too:

https://www.amazon.com/Legends-Dark-...g&sr=8-1-spell

Yet another example of how Batman was NOT a joke prior to Miller’s DKR and Year One.

Last edited by wktf; 06-30-2019 at 03:16 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:52 PM   #48
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Joe, cant find an O’Neil TPB - the one I really want costs a fortune

Any recommendations?
Old 07-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #49
Mister H
Green Goblin

Anyone know if there will be a Tom King Batman omnibus? If it happens then I’ll give him a try, mainly because I’m building a Batman library.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:05 AM   #50
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Anyone know if there will be a Tom King Batman omnibus? If it happens then I’ll give him a try, mainly because I’m building a Batman library.
why don't you get the rebirth deluxes ? There will be a Tom King Omnibus (but i'm not sure if it will have Batman&Catwoman run) but you will have to wait for it at least 3 more years or something.