Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Diamond Select

Old 05-10-2008, 12:26 AM   #21
VinReaper
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Location: Out of my mind! Be back in 5 minutes! (+12517 to the Post Count)
Cool

Thank you for this! I am going to save it to my HD for reference and print it as well!

VR
VinReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:36 AM   #22
bruiser72
Sinister Six

Thanks once again Alex for the great tutorial.
bruiser72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #23
Elia Cid
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Close-up of fully primed piece.

Thanks everyone,

In the pictures below, you can see some of the steps involved in prepping the piece at various stages. I will only cover some of the major steps since the other steps will be covered in the article that will be published in Fantasy Dimensions, Spain.

"Kull of Atlantis" from CS Moore Studio's

Close-up of prepping process called white lining. Close-up of fully primed piece.
The process of prepping: Washing: Cast lines: Air holes and Repairs: Please note that these sections have already been done on this piece and will be discussed in full detail in the magazine article.

The white was hand painted and then airbrushed on with Tamiya FX-2 flat white using an IWATA air brush HP-BE-1. The air pressure on the Iwata Pro series compressor was set at around 35-psi.
The finished white primed piece should look like this. Most imperfections have been removed.
After priming, the piece is carefully inspected and then washed ( gently) in running cold tap water with a clean bristle brush. I then blow dry the figure using an airbrush.

Please note that at this stage the figure must not only look smooth but feel smooth as well to the touch. The artist should learn to close his eyes and feel the work as well as observing it visually.

Now my canvas is ready to paint!

Alex

Kull of Atlantis, white resin figure, 16" tall , from CS Moore Studios , sculpted by Claybrun Moore www.csmoorestudio.com <http://www.csmoorestudio.com/> , Work in progress by Alex Castro

Please note :
Elia Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #24
Elia Cid

My canvas is ready to paint!

My new canvas is ready to paint!

Alex
"Kull of Atlantis" from CS Moore Studio's

Close-up of the fully primed figure and base . Pease note hand is just pushed in place to be removed and accessories for the base have not been attached yet.

Kull of Atlantis, white resin figure, 16" tall , from CS Moore Studios , sculpted by Claybrun Moore www.csmoorestudio.com <http://www.csmoorestudio.com/> , Work in progress by Alex Castro

Please note :
I am painting this piece for an upcoming article for an international magazine called "Fantasy Dimension". That being said, this is a special factory casting CS Moore Studio's ordered for the article. This is not a kit and will not be sold as a kit. The original painted version can be ordered through a local comic retailer or through CS Moore Studio's website. It's strictly limited to 500 pieces and has strong advance orders from what I understand.

I will only be addressing comments and/or questions relating to the painting of the figure on this painting tutorial . Please note that any questions regarding production, availability, pricing and ordering should be directed to CS Moore Studio's website. www.csmoorestudio.com <http://www.csmoorestudio.com/> For those of you who asked about purchasing the piece, this one is not for sale.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #25
Elia Cid

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay. I will be posting pictures after the release of Clay's pre-painted figure of Kull. Then I will be going on vacation. Once I return, I will be working diligently on bringing Kull to life for all of you to see.

Thanks for your patients and stay tuned.

Alex
Old 05-28-2008, 06:09 AM   #26
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Hi Alex any particular reason why you are waiting to finish after prepaints come out.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #27
Nitefall
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elia Cid View Post
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay. I will be posting pictures after the release of Clay's pre-painted figure of Kull. Then I will be going on vacation. Once I return, I will be working diligently on bringing Kull to life for all of you to see.

Thanks for your patients and stay tuned.

Alex
Thank you Alex. Am looking forward to this.
Hope you enjoy your holiday!
Nitefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #28
Elia Cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Hi Alex any particular reason why you are waiting to finish after prepaints come out.
Warhead,

We didn’t want the painting tutorial article on kull to conflict with the release of the pre -painted factory version.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 05-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #29
Elia Cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefall View Post
Thank you Alex. Am looking forward to this.
Hope you enjoy your holiday!
Nitefall,

I plan of working on Kull of Atlantis till I leave on vacation, I won’t post till I get back around the 15 of July.
At that time I’ll showcase as much of the completed internet version of the article as possible.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 06-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #30
Elia Cid

Hi,

One of the keys to good portraiture is to make the eyes the focal point and at the same time not over play the details of the eyes.
Although both eyes were painted evenly, giving them the same tone value as the rest of the face, the right eye looks a little brighter only because it's catching the light more. I wax the eyes with a floor wax to give them a sheen, which catches the light. The hair still needs more work.

Enjoy and stay tuned.

Alex

"Kull of Atlantis" from CS Moore Studio

When using both fix and catch light on the eyes, for photography and display purposes, make sure that when you set the light source, set it in the same direction of the fix highlight.

In this next step I will start to outline the belts and dress wear around his body with a dark soot wash!

Kull of Atlantis, white resin figure, 16" tall , from CS Moore Studio , sculpted by Claybrun Moore www.csmoorestudio.com , Work in progress by Alex Castro http://www.alexcastro.com