Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > Home Repair

Old 12-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
protector2814
Phoenix

My peace of mind comes knowing that after the last truck drives off, my below ground pipes will be pvc, sound and stable. The bummer comes in having to come up with mega-cash when you least expect it. As a few of you may recall from an earlier thread, we also had a pretty nasty rain-fall flood earlier in the Summer.

What I liked about renting was that when something got broke, my landlord or super fixed it. Sure I know I'm not paying somebody elses mortgage, but...I'm kinda renting my house from the bank that ownes my note 'til we pay her off. It really wont be "my house" 'til she's free and clear.

What's unsettling is the now almost constant thought of what may be coming next. What's down the road? That'll freak you out as a homeowner.

Don't get me wrong, I love my house...but damnnnnnn, they can bite you in the a$$ when you're least ready for it.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
oh man that is rough - you any good at repairs on your own or know anyone who could help? Is the 75k a price that covers cost and labor for all the repairs?
I honestly can't swing a hammer. My father could build an addition on a house from foundation up, including plumbing and wiring. I spent two weekends back dropping f-bombs while trying to assemble an ikea type kitchen kart.

The 75k is based on a few estimates I had done 3 years ago, it will end up being more of course. The bulk of it is the basement, and I'm just going to forget that for a few years. I'll do the roof next summer and the front porch the year after hopefully. I guess those are the only things that NEED doing.

It's a great house don't get me wrong. Old houses can just be huge money sinks. The ironic thing is this house wasn't a fixer upper like one of the others I was looking at.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
Sinatra VonDoom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
My peace of mind comes knowing that after the last truck drives off, my below ground pipes will be pvc, sound and stable. The bummer comes in having to come up with mega-cash when you least expect it. As a few of you may recall from an earlier thread, we also had a pretty nasty rain-fall flood earlier in the Summer.

What I liked about renting was that when something got broke, my landlord or super fixed it. Sure I know I'm not paying somebody elses mortgage, but...I'm kinda renting my house from the bank that ownes my note 'til we pay her off. It really wont be "my house" 'til she's free and clear.

What's unsettling is the now almost constant thought of what may be coming next. What's down the road? That'll freak you out as a homeowner.

Don't get me wrong, I love my house...but damnnnnnn, they can bite you in the a$$ when you're least ready for it.
I hear you brother. The house is just a box. The home is made up of all the great memories you make inside it.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra VonDoom View Post
I honestly can't swing a hammer. My father could build an addition on a house from foundation up, including plumbing and wiring. I spent two weekends back dropping f-bombs while trying to assemble an ikea type kitchen kart.

The 75k is based on a few estimates I had done 3 years ago, it will end up being more of course. The bulk of it is the basement, and I'm just going to forget that for a few years. I'll do the roof next summer and the front porch the year after hopefully. I guess those are the only things that NEED doing.

It's a great house don't get me wrong. Old houses can just be huge money sinks. The ironic thing is this house wasn't a fixer upper like one of the others I was looking at.
you crack me up Charlie! My pops was pretty handy as well but he is not here to help so I either try it myself or get someone to help out. I am having my bro-n-law out this Spring for a day to do some projects - plumbing and garage door opener. I told him I would pop for the pizza and wings so he is more than happy to come out.

My house is only 11 years old so the repair is minimal. Mainly home improvement stuff - I am going to tackle hardwood floors either this year or next. If I get really ambitious I might do new baseboards and trim as well.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
I hear you brother. The house is just a box. The home is made up of all the great memories you make inside it.
QFT!

CAF
Old 12-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #16
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Yeah, it's the waiting. I've got a roof I'm sure in the next few years will need replacing (come on hail storm), some bathroom work needing fixed (my monthly grout patches aren't going to hold forever). And windows. Some of the seals on the double pane are starting to lose their seal.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
protector2814
Phoenix

Yeah, we've had our 1st pinhole leak in the main plumbing line(s), so I kinda already know what's coming down the road. Roof we replaced 4 years back. I do some handy work but stop at electric and plumbing. I can install a dimmer switch, change a lock, hang a door, crap like that. It's the expensive stuff I have no clue about

If we average it out and I factor in all the "unexpected" projects that have dropped in our lap since buying our home 10-11 years ago, I'd say we've dropped an extra 5-6 grand a year into it on top of the mortgage (hopefully this # will drop as we fix the big stuff that breaks). This is the kind of math a future home buyer should also factor in before purchasing. Just 'cause you can afford the note, taxes, insurance, etc...you should also leave room for the "oh dammits". Everything lasts about 8 - 10 years nowadays.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #18
Sinatra VonDoom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Yeah, we've had our 1st pinhole leak in the main plumbing line(s), so I kinda already know what's coming down the road. Roof we replaced 4 years back. I do some handy work but stop at electric and plumbing. I can install a dimmer switch, change a lock, hang a door, crap like that. It's the expensive stuff I have no clue about
I wont even look at anything involving electricity or plumbing, as far as I'm concerned they work by magic. My gal wanted dimmer switches in a few rooms and insisted I could do it myself. After having seen me fail for over a decade at anything more complicated than changing a light bulb I suspect she was trying to kill me off.

No joke back in high school shop class when they plugged in the lamp I made out of a mountain dew can the circuit breaker killed the lights.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #19
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
I wont even look at anything involving electricity or plumbing, as far as I'm concerned they work by magic. My gal wanted dimmer switches in a few rooms and insisted I could do it myself. After having seen me fail for over a decade at anything more complicated than changing a light bulb I suspect she was trying to kill me off.
me either! Too much downside = fire and flooding ... I want someone bonded.

CAF
Old 12-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
Averone
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:

No joke back in high school shop class when they plugged in the lamp I made out of a mountain dew can the circuit breaker killed the lights.
Averone is offline   Reply With Quote