Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #541
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I agree. He's made a mess of Captain America and while his Uncanny Avengers started off strong the last arc became incomprehensible.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #542
RELStuart
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
I'd love to try it, but I've just never been a fan of Remender's work
I haven't been following his Marvel Now work. I have his Punisher Omnibus but but Uncanny X-Force is far superior. Having read Millar's Wolverine work (I have both stories just not the omnibus) I feel the Uncanny X-Force run is better and Wolverine is the focus. The Old Man Logan story is a great What-If story but the longer Enemy of the State story was mediocre IMHO.
RELStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #543
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I agree. He's made a mess of Captain America and while his Uncanny Avengers started off strong the last arc became incomprehensible.

I am amazed at how well you keep up with today's comics. It's been a good decade, perhaps longer, since I had a reserve at a LCS. Yet you persevere. My hat's off to you. You truly love the genre like no other fan I've come across in all my years online.

While I maintain a tremendous devotion to books published between 1962-1992, I generally felt most books following those dates didn't adhere to my longstanding perspective of my favorite characters in mind. Sure, there have been some fabulous titles since then which I've since picked up in HC format (Brubaker's Cap, JMS Spiderman + Thor, Perez' Avengers, and some others) but overall, I've become more and more of an outside-looking-in fan since the mid 90s, even though I've never left the reading hobby entirely.

P.S. Presently on my night table now - JMS "The Twelve" HC. I still buy the occasional HC, but I'm typically years behind.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #544
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Agreed. I was looking forward to someone other than Brubaker on Cap (just for a change of pace) but man, it was just abysmal. I started Uncanny Avengers as well but don't even think I lasted 5 issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELStuart View Post
I haven't been following his Marvel Now work. I have his Punisher Omnibus but but Uncanny X-Force is far superior. Having read Millar's Wolverine work (I have both stories just not the omnibus) I feel the Uncanny X-Force run is better and Wolverine is the focus. The Old Man Logan story is a great What-If story but the longer Enemy of the State story was mediocre IMHO.
Perhaps, I'll look into it then once I pick up these other books. I can't seem to find an online retailer in Canada that still stocks the Omni but they're releasing a 2 volume "Complete Collection" that has the same content so I may opt for that. At least I can pick up volume 1 and see if its my thing before throwing down any other cash on it.

I will say that when the run was active, I did hear tons of positives about it but always stayed back from it because of my overall hesitance with Remender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I still buy the occasional HC, but I'm typically years behind.
I think every comic fan is always behind. The only thing I really keep up with is my 15-20 monthly titles. I probably have enough tpb/Omni's to keep me busy for 2-3 years across Marvel, DC and Image.

...and yet I keep buying more
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #545
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I am amazed at how well you keep up with today's comics. It's been a good decade, perhaps longer, since I had a reserve at a LCS. Yet you persevere. My hat's off to you. You truly love the genre like no other fan I've come across in all my years online.

While I maintain a tremendous devotion to books published between 1962-1992, I generally felt most books following those dates didn't adhere to my longstanding perspective of my favorite characters in mind. Sure, there have been some fabulous titles since then which I've since picked up in HC format (Brubaker's Cap, JMS Spiderman + Thor, Perez' Avengers, and some others) but overall, I've become more and more of an outside-looking-in fan since the mid 90s, even though I've never left the reading hobby entirely.

P.S. Presently on my night table now - JMS "The Twelve" HC. I still buy the occasional HC, but I'm typically years behind.
Joe is a fkn comic trivia sponge. Whenever we take a jaunt to the Denver LCS he always knows the answers to questions or any story line.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:43 AM   #546
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Thanks, Risingstar and NBR, for the kind words. I do truly love comic books and want so badly to stay connected to their universes' story lines. I just wish the quality of the storytelling made it as accessible as it once was.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:20 AM   #547
RELStuart

New omnibus editions announced for next year:

Captain America Return of the Winter Soldier (752 pages, May release) The long awaited final Brubaker Captain America omnibus collecting the final issues of his work. It's going to look so good having 5 omnibus editions on my shelf with all of this run. Bonus, I haven't read most of the material that will be in this one.

Avengers/X-Men Onslaught (1297 pages, July release) I guess I'll finally read this story.

Annihilation Conquest Omnibus (872 pages, June release) I'm in and have been interested in reading this. The hard covers got really expensive so this will be perfect.

Fantastic Four volume 3 by Stan Lee and Kirby (Collecting FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #61-93 and ANNUAL #5-7, and material from NOT BRAND ECHH #5-7).

We see new Marvel Masterworks Thor vol 14 and Fantastic Four volume 17.

Looks like OHC editions of X-Men the Hunt for Professor X. This was a 1998, six-issue crossover between Uncanny X-Men and X-Men written by Steven Seagle and Joe Kelly. Rumor has it this will be more than just the six issues.

There is also a Prelude to Secret War with no info on content yet.

Marvel is doing a Hawkeye OHC volume 2 after all: http://www.amazon.com/Hawkeye-2-Marv...5654738&sr=1-5
Old 11-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #548
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Looks like OHC editions of X-Men the Hunt for Professor X. This was a 1998, six-issue crossover between Uncanny X-Men and X-Men written by Steven Seagle and Joe Kelly. Rumor has it this will be more than just the six issues.
These oversized X-Men hardcovers tend to include some of the issues before and after the actual crossover. That way if you buy all of them you have a fairly comprehensive collection of late '80s and '90s X-Men comics.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #549
RELStuart

Sadly, I've discovered the listing for the Hunt for Professor X have been changed to a TPB. Boooo.

New things added to the list of 2015 books include two more OHCs though:

2015 - Thor by Jason Aaron vol 2 OHC
2015 - Guardians of the Galaxy by Bendis vol 1 OHC

I'm really tired of not having volume 2 of either Wolverine omnibus.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #550
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Sadly, I've discovered the listing for the Hunt for Professor X have been changed to a TPB. Boooo.

New things added to the list of 2015 books include two more OHCs though:

2015 - Thor by Jason Aaron vol 2 OHC
2015 - Guardians of the Galaxy by Bendis vol 1 OHC

I'm really tired of not having volume 2 of either Wolverine omnibus.
The story of my life.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote