Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 09-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #151
Tatterdemalion
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM View Post
Just finished The Day of the Triffids.
Nicely done - you should try to track down a VHS of the film adaptation; the Triffids themselves are a tad laughable in the film, but the core horror of a world gone completely blind is pretty visceral. I understand there's a contemporary sequel called Night of the Triffids, but I know very little of it.

I finished Stephan Laws' DARKFALL a week or so ago; it's a Leisure Horror mass market paperback and concerns the mysterious disappearance of an entire office complex's population during a strange storm on Christmas Eve. It's relatively high concept, but the execution is poor, and the latter half of the book is as repetitive as it is unimaginative. Laws' isn't an incapable writer, but his plots have a tendency to ultimately fall flat as a result of poor structure; see his earlier book, THE WYRM, for another example of a great set-up that peters out. He's more adept at characterization than most of the authors Leisure publishes, though, so Laws is still an easier read than, say, the shallowness of Tim Lebbon.

Similarly, I read Gord Rollo's THE JIGSAW MAN, a freshly minted novel also from Leisure; it happens to be Rollo's first novel, too. Rollo's got some good characterization, too, but ultimately, it's the first person point-of-view that does the greatest disservice; Rollo doesn't use it to its full extent in terms of having a better understanding of the protagonist; it feels a lot less like we're inside of his head, seeing him make decisions, and more of us as spectators to his choices. Compare Rollo's first person to John D. MacDonald's in any of his Travis McGee novels; MacDonald was a master as first person, and although it's unfair to compare an author's first novel to the establishment that is MacDonald, it's still obvious a lot of potential was left on the table. Rollo's plot itself is a little derivative, and it hurts a bit to have the major element of the story esentially given away by the title, but at the very least it strikes upon that common fear of mutilation drummed up by the mere notion of surgery. Rollo lacks solid, interesting antagonists - the two he has are stock characters, unfortunately, and neither particularly memorable - but it's a good first effort that readers better than some of Leisure's veteran authors. I think Rollo would really shine with a stronger story and definitely a different point of view.

Now right I'm reading Peter Straub's GHOST STORY ... it is fairly mind-bending in its use of stories within stories within stories. It harkens back as much to old Gothic tales as it does postmodernism ... but Straub weaves a beautiful atmosphere so far.
Tatterdemalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #152
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
Nicely done - you should try to track down a VHS of the film adaptation; the Triffids themselves are a tad laughable in the film, but the core horror of a world gone completely blind is pretty visceral.
We may be talking about the same thing, but the BBC adapted it for TV when I was about 8. The image from inside a car of a group of blind people pressing against the windscreen all going "Help us!" totally freaked me out.

No wonder it's taken me ages to read the book!

My next book is another Wyndham - The Midwich Cuckoos.
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #153
Tatterdemalion
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM View Post
We may be talking about the same thing, but the BBC adapted it for TV when I was about 8. The image from inside a car of a group of blind people pressing against the windscreen all going "Help us!" totally freaked me out.

No wonder it's taken me ages to read the book!

My next book is another Wyndham - The Midwich Cuckoos.
The BBC adaptation was in '81, the feature film was '62; I didn't even know about the BBC adaptation ... I'll have to see if I can track it down.

The Midwich Cuckoos? Awesome. I don't know if you just like Wyndham's style or if you enjoy horror film adaptations, but you should make a point of picking up Shirley Jackson's THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE; as magnificent as Robert Wise's adaptation was, the actual book is one of the most masterful and frightening books I've ever read.

Enjoy The Midwich Cuckoos - just stay away from the John Carpenter adaptation!
Tatterdemalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #154
JLM

Quote:
The BBC adaptation was in '81, the feature film was '62; I didn't even know about the BBC adaptation ... I'll have to see if I can track it down.
From what I gather, the Beeb's adaptation is a more faithful interpretation of the novel than the movie, although it updates the action to the (then) present day.

Quote:
The Midwich Cuckoos? Awesome. I don't know if you just like Wyndham's style or if you enjoy horror film adaptations, but you should make a point of picking up Shirley Jackson's THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE; as magnificent as Robert Wise's adaptation was, the actual book is one of the most masterful and frightening books I've ever read.
I read Triffids as it's one of the those books that I've been meaning to read for years, and the first Wyndham novel I've read. Thought I'd give Cuckoos a go, as the movie image is fairly iconic. Thanks for the Hill House recommendation, I'll bear it in mind.

Quote:
Enjoy The Midwich Cuckoos - just stay away from the John Carpenter adaptation!
Too right!
Old 10-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #155
JLM

Finished Midwich Cuckoos (trips to London proving very useful for finishing books). Enjoyed it, but didn't expect a lot of the book to be taken up with the moral discussion.

Shall take a break from Wydham for the time being, and find something else to read.