Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
Luminous
Cyclops

Sideshow's prices for 1/5 and 1/4 scale statues will soon be equal

Less than two weeks ago Sideshow's Green Lantern Premium Format statue (1/4 scale) went up for pre-order for $449.99. Today, pricing was revealed for their new Ralph McQuarrie Boba Fett Concept Artist series statue (1/5 scale) to be at $424.99. Apparently Sideshow now believes the difference in price between the two scales should only be $25.

The other interesting part of this development is that the first statue in the Ralph McQuarrie line (the Stormtrooper) became available roughly two months ago for $399.99. Both sport a predominantly white paint application and both have simplistic and small bases. Yet here is the new Fett statue, similar in execution, and it is now $25 more than it's 2 month old predecessor.

Is this another one of those magical "inflation" price adjustments? Are the factories now demanding higher wages on a weekly basis? Is the value of polystone going up in dramatic fashion? Should I be investing in the stuff?

Obviously there is some sarcasm in those questions (not as much as you might think though), but the real question seems clear. Is Sideshow aiming to launch a flat fee to obtain ANY of their products across the board? That may sound ridiculous, but I never thought we'd see the day where the price difference between a 1/5 and 1/4 was practically non existent. I'd love to hear what else could POSSIBLY be occurring before our very eyes (yes, we can now see inflation in real time).
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
xforce
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Less than two weeks ago Sideshow's Green Lantern Premium Format statue (1/4 scale) went up for pre-order for $449.99. Today, pricing was revealed for their new Ralph McQuarrie Boba Fett Concept Artist series statue (1/5 scale) to be at $424.99. Apparently Sideshow now believes the difference in price between the two scales should only be $25.

The other interesting part of this development is that the first statue in the Ralph McQuarrie line (the Stormtrooper) became available roughly two months ago for $399.99. Both sport a predominantly white paint application and both have simplistic and small bases. Yet here is the new Fett statue, similar in execution, and it is now $25 more than it's 2 month old predecessor.

Is this another one of those magical "inflation" price adjustments? Are the factories now demanding higher wages on a weekly basis? Is the value of polystone going up in dramatic fashion? Should I be investing in the stuff?

Obviously there is some sarcasm in those questions (not as much as you might think though), but the real question seems clear. Is Sideshow aiming to launch a flat fee to obtain ANY of their products across the board? That may sound ridiculous, but I never thought we'd see the day where the price difference between a 1/5 and 1/4 was practically non existent. I'd love to hear what else could POSSIBLY be occurring before our very eyes (yes, we can now see inflation in real time).
I have just moved into the 1/4 realm and the price increases are ridiculous the first green lantern $350.00 lights up base, and ring. Sinestro follows $399.00, really and finally Hal Jordan Green Lantern $450.00. I see $499.00 coming VERY soon
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
clutch
Sailor Moon

Then don't buy it.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #4
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Then don't buy it.
Thank you for that wonderful insight! Ya'll come back now! Ya hear??
Old 11-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
clutch
Sailor Moon

Belly aching about it in a forum will do nothing but speaking with your wallet might.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #6
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Belly aching about it in a forum will do nothing but speaking with your wallet might.
It's called a discussion. I am pointing out to those who may or may not have noticed a trend that a company they are interested in is adopting. The trend of price increasing isn't new, but what I have transcribed above most certainly is. There isn't a single thread of your so called "belly aching".

Since you can't seem to grasp the concept of a discussion forum, might I suggest you simply ignore the topics you find displeasing instead of incessantly "belly aching" when someone brings up a topic you don't agree with? K, thanks, bye.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #7
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Old 11-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I'll be honest, it even feels that way to me most of the time. For every few people I see that are actually concerned about what is happening to the hobby and what that means for their ability to continue collecting, I see a tidal wave of other collectors who are perfectly content with the status quo that is Sideshow's weekly price hike. How do you fight that? More and more the answer seems like "you can't".

Sideshow isn't making it more difficult for people like me to rationally continue collecting, my fellow collectors are. Thank you. I mean that from the bottom of my wallet. Thank you....
Old 11-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #9
decoyoctopus10
A day without sunshine is like... night.

That's an insane price for both of those McQuarrie statues. I'll stick with my GG Bust of the same thing that cost me like $60. The PF for Boba is similarly priced to the McQuarrie 1/5 scale. What are they thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
And not really, it's important to discuss imo.

It's also what, a $100 raise from the Mythos line? Or less?
decoyoctopus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #10
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoyoctopus10 View Post
That's an insane price for both of those McQuarrie statues. I'll stick with my GG Bust of the same thing that cost me like $60. The PF for Boba is similarly priced to the McQuarrie 1/5 scale. What are they thinking?

And not really, it's important to discuss imo.

It's also what, a $100 raise from the Mythos line? Or less?
I wouldn't bother trying to use that logic around these parts. Most Sideshow pricing apologists think those were released so long ago that it must have been before they were born. It's the same with any statue that passes the year mark. "Inflation, duhr!"